Welcome to Gaia! ::

My friend and I are starting a Web comic. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas of affordable Web hosts.

I'm not good with HTMLs, so something with drag and drop capabilities would be great.
There are many hosts listed in the Rules Sticky, Second Post (labeled Done To Death).

Also, WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editors would be in your best interest then. If you can afford it, look into and purchase Adove GoLive.

EDIT: We're a slow moving forum here. There's no need to bump. And be warned, it's also against the rules.
OR you might try someplace like Keenspace that pretty much specialized in small webcomics. Pretty sure they even have some kind of streamlined updating features too, so's you don't have to monkey with the whole FTP thing.
I started out with AOL Hometown, so I would start either there or Geocities. They both have an option where, if you need to, you can post little snippets of HTML and such.

Hope this helps. ^^

EDIT: And they're both free.
Get on keenspace. I've had a bunch of experience with webcomics, and they're by far the best for starting webcomics. You'll prolly want to learn a bit of HTML, and I'd suggest making the site in a WYSIWYG and then merging the HTML with the keenspace code.
Peach Sherbet
My friend and I are starting a Web comic. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas of affordable Web hosts.

I'm not good with HTMLs, so something with drag and drop capabilities would be great.

For dev, MS Fronpage is ultra simple and ez to work with. For hosting, use goggle and search. However, if yer site is small enough, try a site like Freewebs.
Alpha Force
Peach Sherbet

For dev, MS Fronpage is ultra simple and ez to work with. For hosting, use goggle and search. However, if yer site is small enough, try a site like Freewebs.

I have to disagree with MS Frontpage being a good program for beginning users. Beginners would be better off using Word, though it's not exactly thew best HTML editor in any bizarro world.
You need either Adobe Go Live or FrontPage (Microsoft) but I highly suggest Adobe cause MACs kick the crapg out of anything having to do with Microsoft, IE. Microsoft. But if you cant afford it there are a few OK free ones out there, with SOME drag and drop cababilities but Adobe takes the cake.

The one rule of thumb to remeber is dont go crazy with colors and animation, you want people to fucous on what your site is about, no the dancing army of hamsters on the bottum of the page (unless thats what your page is about)

Also when buying a program expensve is not always better, for example, Macromedia Dreamweaver cost over $300, but Adobe is About the same if not less Im not sure, Adobe is 200X easier to use and you get better results (thats if you Have no HTML knowlege) cause its easier to use!
I'm going to chime in with the others who have recommended Keenspace. I have used them myself for hosting webcomics (though I haven't updated my page there in, like, forever!) and they have a very user-friendly interface that makes it wicked easy to get your webcomics seen. Plus, they are a destination for people looking for webcomics, which means that you will have a lot more readers from the very start than you ever would going on your own.

Really, if you and your friends are serious about building a website to show off your comics, don't waste time trying to reinvent the wheel, go where they're going to make it as easy as possible for you. If you can spend less time coding, you'll have more time to draw your comics.

Oh, and since you mentioned affordable: Keenspace is FREE.

Linky linky linklink.
if you are wanting to do html coding, or cant find a place that is goin to work well enough for you http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/authoring/html_basics/ has some great info on writing html code.
Theres a site its ummmmmmmmmm crap FreewWebTools or something
that has all usefull Scripts on it, but i cant remeber the site... Sorry
Keenspace...what's the URL to it?? is looking to move my Efed from angelfire to something better...and i want to check it out...
Mycha Sayseerer
Keenspace...what's the URL to it?? is looking to move my Efed from angelfire to something better...and i want to check it out...

www.keenspace.com

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces