Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,500 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I'm a senior in high school (Don't worry. School ends this month ^_^) I want to become a Computer Science Major. Any tips on what classes I should take? What kind of jobs will I be able to get if I am a Computer Science Major?

Dedicated Man-Lover

9,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
You walk into the college and talk to a counselor. They'll tell you exactly what classes you have to take for what major.

6,500 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Sonic Offline
You walk into the college and talk to a counselor. They'll tell you exactly what classes you have to take for what major.

LOL well I know that xD I was just looking for some advice as to what I should do exactly. And I know there's tons of math involved so maybe someone could guide me a bit more? ._. thanks for your reply though :3

Friendly Phantom

My main tip would be, even after you've taken the highest required mathematics for your degree, keep taking math classes.

Also, you really should get a good idea of what career you would like to pursue before you get into college so your adviser in college can help you pick courses that would benefit you later on and possibly get you into internships that suit your desired career path.
Twix_goes_rawr
Sonic Offline

LOL well I know that xD I was just looking for some advice as to what I should do exactly. And I know there's tons of math involved so maybe someone could guide me a bit more? ._. thanks for your reply though :3
Take what's required for your degree. (For most schools, that means some higher math - Linear Algebra or the like - and some science in addition to your Comp.Sci. courses.)

Then, if you are even one credit below full-time after selecting your classes, indulge yourself with another that interests you. I strongly recommend taking a foreign language class or two. Even if you're not interested.

8,500 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Saruwatari Kooji
My main tip would be, even after you've taken the highest required mathematics for your degree, keep taking math classes.
I would have to disagree here. The myth that being good at programming or computer science is dependent on being a genius at mathematics just serves to scare people away from the field. The reality is that most programmers will never need to know anything beyond algebra. In Computer Science you might need to go a little further (some calculus, some statistics, etc), but even then there's generally no need to go overboard on math classes.

Depending on what specific field you go into and what you're trying to write, you might need to know some fairly specific and advanced mathematics. For example, cryptography or artificial intelligence or writing a physic engine would all require an understanding of advanced, domain-specific mathematics. But programming itself is mostly just the algebra you learned in high school.

Of course, learning math can be fun and interesting, if that's what you're into then go for it. But if you're not a fan of math classes then there's no need to punish yourself any more than required.

I agree with psychic stalker, you'd be better served by taking foreign language or linguistics courses than overloading on the mathematics. Modern computer science is the union of applied mathematics and applied linguistics.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPpAT1AAoJEMco5sYyM+0wCggH/A8ihktfgWtYNy9d+Wt4tgqM
8gW6P5cjDMngonA70wco72oWzZSN7VR+cp7j3PvsEcEjYHM0VcQ9FNo9Xyw6aADr
CLJiNIM5AOV/DtmRldjrBBhROJ5DIkKFbEaDJoa3mpgrGcpnAwWNnNQP1Lue2I7G
wcgyQ+Bbs3V3hA3h6eTc9WZXG1urbBExIlSwcRahNucjrTIW2Tev15wo7lGmNsRj
kqY+jwwunXdlPB9ePi//WyXvnXXxg/TPsI6kXl4Nb2H/aYeiLEBoDDajOnJTWqfm
fWit/9vX4y5QIygXzGCwsEmKMR6Bg0jqnVHaBrjyd2YGnb9HxRkEVSjVZnMDGGk=
=ufMo
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Perfect Lunatic

11,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
The King of Forum Trolls
computer science majors get jobs sitting in cubicles and writing code for 12 hours, eventually becoming unlovable as they get obese and their social skills atrophy. soon after that, the indians come and take your jerb

also, there won't be any attractive guys in your classes, which may boost your self-esteem or depress you

I'd like to see you say that to some of my ex colleagues who are skinnier than me and I'm a US size 10. Also some of them I would've banged if I didn't have a boyfriend at the time and have morals about not mixing work and pleasure.

Also good job on presuming someone's gender and/or sexual orientation. The avatars are not necessarily a representation of what we look like in real life.

Back on topic:
Computer Science covers a lot of things. Ask your careers advisor for a careers aptitude test. It's how I found out that my aptitudes lie to the side of systems design and development.
Lanackse-Kanvae
The King of Forum Trolls
computer science majors get jobs sitting in cubicles and writing code for 12 hours, eventually becoming unlovable as they get obese and their social skills atrophy. soon after that, the indians come and take your jerb

also, there won't be any attractive guys in your classes, which may boost your self-esteem or depress you

I'd like to see you say that to some of my ex colleagues who are skinnier than me and I'm a US size 10. Also some of them I would've banged if I didn't have a boyfriend at the time and have morals about not mixing work and pleasure.

Also good job on presuming someone's gender and/or sexual orientation. The avatars are not necessarily a representation of what we look like in real life.

Back on topic:
Computer Science covers a lot of things. Ask your careers advisor for a careers aptitude test. It's how I found out that my aptitudes lie to the side of systems design and development.

op's profile says that she's a girl, and she's probably straight, but just in case she isn't: the few girls who take cs classes aren't hot either. if you wanna find cute girls you gotta take like social sciences or something. some natural sciences have pretty girls too, like biology. no hetero.

Sparkly Lunatic

The King of Forum Trolls
Lanackse-Kanvae
The King of Forum Trolls

Back on topic:

op's profile says that she's a girl, and she's probably straight, but just in case she isn't: the few girls who take cs classes aren't hot either. if you wanna find cute girls you gotta take like social sciences or something. some natural sciences have pretty girls too, like biology. no hetero.

I call bullshit. Hottest girl I've ever met is a CS major. True fact.

Perfect Lunatic

11,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
I also call bullshit here.

I've seen some very smoking hot women in my Computer Science classes. If most of them weren't already married, I'd probably hit on them.

8,500 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I would also add that all the female members at my Hackerspace are attractive and a couple of them are single.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPpUWDAAoJEMco5sYyM+0w7dcH/0DMb8/N5zs0eoHLyHMM5yfL
xqfTDt3S3Fku3+VM+w6uGhjjxBRKMp2+xZEd3dKRD/pO3rN3HLUVGqnugGEraMv3
MFi9NvhsM0IvUBvePt0DqSBajQMrslnorao+BGN4VJA9R+GnXSNv8bVgr4GldSr+
nmO+aUa93Rl4XLRGJM28GP+S2ch7cout2XEmeG9L6oJm684rpLkUm4yrYQSG9Y8J
T8lEM0Bbe/1TkdOc6vaOTHlLu0qOq+RRRCN2NII+MelhCW+3gQIV+0g3nOs4gh5c
oWZWpV5ENAUAV1sduwE/LBvKQ8Tr1p9Kyc3dmDJlFkXI2MAv14N0BsO+ANwPjmk=
=c+Fk
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
you guise must go to schools that are known for having lots of attractive people
The King of Forum Trolls
you guise must go to schools that are known for having lots of attractive people
No, we're just not bigoted, short-sighted assholes.

Perfect Lunatic

11,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
psychic stalker
The King of Forum Trolls
No, we're just not bigoted, short-sighted assholes.

Also helps that plastic surgery hasn't really taken off in Cornwall. Seriously some of the plastic surgery you humans do makes me cringe and I smiled when Hannibal Lecture was cutting out this guy's brain and feeding it to him lightly sautéed.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff