Welcome to Gaia! ::

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
So last laptop I had was a disaster. Ventilation system was on the bottom only, it had a shitty a** processor(I think it was Pentium) and an overpriced graphics card(an Nvidia, one of the best for the time I bought it. WITH A PENTIUM), the CD drive kept falling off and the computer overheated all the time. So I bought this one around 2.5 years ago.

Ventilation system on both bottom and sides, i3, ATI mobility Raedon 5400, and I kept it as safe as possible: Didn't slam the screen like I used to do, was careful with the bags I put it in, made sure it won't overheat and was very careful when it started to do so 2 months ago. After the first trip to the lab(where they just dusted my fans and warned me not to use it on fibers) I also only use it with a cooling pad. Now my fans are oficcially broken, and I'm wondering if I did something wrong, since it broke so quickly.

What could I have donee wrong?
Should I buy a good computer(over 800 dollars) next time, or is it best to learn how to better keep one before burning all of my money?
You see like an extended warranty kind of person imo.
No laptops are reliable. Spend wisely.. "Gaming Laptops" makes me giggle
nitznitz
So I bought this one around 2.5 years ago.
[...]
What you've done wrong is assume that hardware magically lasts several years. 2 years is a "good run." If it lasts more than that, you're fortunate. With frequent use, fans always give out. Hard drives eventually fail. It happens because they're mechanical components. Just using them at all eats into their life.

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
psychic stalker
nitznitz
[...]
What you've done wrong is assume that hardware magically lasts several years. 2 years is a "good run." If it lasts more than that, you're fortunate. With frequent use, fans always give out. Hard drives eventually fail. It happens because they're mechanical components. Just using them at all eats into their life.

I assumed that if you keep the computer safe, not spilling water, not slamming the screen, not overloading your hard drive with viruses, etc. the computer can last up to 10 years. I had a secondhand one for about 5 years and its total lifespan is estimated at 8.
nitznitz
psychic stalker
nitznitz
[...]

I assumed that if you keep the computer safe, not spilling water, not slamming the screen, not overloading your hard drive with viruses, etc. the computer can last up to 10 years. I had a secondhand one for about 5 years and its total lifespan is estimated at 8.
8-10 years is atypical, especially for gaming hardware.

5 years is reasonable with great care, but the heatsink/fan assembly and hard drive will likely need to be replaced at least once in that time.

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
psychic stalker
nitznitz
psychic stalker
nitznitz
[...]

8-10 years is atypical, especially for gaming hardware.

5 years is reasonable with great care, but the heatsink/fan assembly and hard drive will likely need to be replaced at least once in that time.

The one that lasted 8 years only ran Flash games and Sims 2. On this one I ran Skyrim and Saints Row the Third.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
You should expect a typical gaming laptop to last about 2 years. That's it. After two years, the upstream hardware manufacturers will have stopped developing drivers and supporting the components in the laptop. The battery will have aged to about half of its original capacity. The mechanical parts will have experienced wear and tear accelerated by the extreme heat generated by the high-performance chips in a gaming laptop.

For many non-gaming laptops you can expect more like 5 years of trouble-free operation. However that is dependent on numerous factors and is not a guarantee. Some models may last longer than others. Some individual laptops may last longer than others. I could tell you stories about 10+ year old laptops I've repaired and restored, but the fact is those are rare and unusual. Not something you should expect when purchasing a new or used machine.

[personal anecdote]
About 4 years ago I purchased a top-of-the-line gaming laptop for about $3,000. It was never my primary laptop, and I haven't had as much time as I would like for gaming, so it was under-used most of those years. I pretty much only moved it when I was going to LAN parties (two or three times a year) and for about a year it was pretty much only used as an HTPC. So very light usage. It started having some problems last month (almost exactly on the 4-year anniversary) and I've spent most of today going through the tedious process of wiping and re-installing everything. (Seriously, I can't believe there are people who re-install Windows once a year or more. This is tedious and depressing.)

My story is unusual. Most gaming laptops don't last this long. Most of the laptops of this model probably didn't last this long (there were a lot of negative reviews and failure reports for this model, I guess I lucked out).

I never expected it to last this long, and that's why I was already saving up for a replacement. Regardless of the outcome of today's restoration, I'll be buying a new gaming laptop this summer/fall.
[/personal anecdote]

Fans fail, but they're also pretty cheap to replace (if you do the work yourself). Before scrapping your current laptop, you might try replacing the failed fan(s) to see if you can get a few more months or years of service out of it. However, keep in mind that even if you can keep the laptop running, you can't upgrade the CPU or GPU. At the end of the day, it will still be 2+ years old and it just won't be able to give you the same gaming experience as a newer laptop when it comes to playing the latest 3D games.

Newbie Member

7,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
How long should a "gaming laptop last?"....

Well 1 to 2 years depending what you have the game settings at. If you like to run games at max settings only them I would say 1 year but if you don't mind lowering them 2 years. Laptops aren't really built for gaming to be honest.

To me I see "gaming laptops" more as a High End kind of laptop. For gaming I would highly recommend investing into a gaming desktop computer and the best choice for that is to buy the parts to build your own.

I have had a laptop that was a "gaming laptop" and I regret even spending so much money on one. Once I got a taste of a low end gaming desktop computer I prefer desktops for gaming now.

If you are always on the go and you want to game deff a gaming laptop. if you mainly game at home but a gaming desktop computer.

Think if of this way. Every 2 years you spend say $800 to $1200 on a gaming laptop you could take that $800 to $1200 and buy insanely powerful desktop computer parts.

Fashionable Husband

9,075 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Popular Thread 100
I think this lasted fairly long. :3 you're not wrong saying it broke soon after reading how carefully you took care if it, but naturally a laptop can wear down after a good use. Depending on quality, yes, a good laptop should be able to last 10 years. I personally think that how you're taking care of your laptop right now is fine, but you might want to get a more high quality laptop if you want a 10 year use instead of a 2.5 year use.

Noob

Depends on what type of gaming you mean.
Flash gaming, browser based games, you can do practically anything (assuming that it's a computer made in the last 5-8 years).
I have a Lenovo laptop manufactured in 2009, and I run League of Legends and DC Universe on it. It runs fine, and I got it for a steal ($170 off of a friend who used to run WoW on it)
I run small based games, I wouldn't be able to run Skyrim, or any other large games of that proportion. But, I've read that the Razer Gaming systems are the highest quality gaming laptops possible.
The Razer Blade is $1,999.99
The Razer Blade Pro is $2,499.99

The Razer Blade is the laptop the Pewdiepie uses when he's not on his desktop.

Hygienic Genius

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Statustician 100
Perest
Flash gaming, browser based games, you can do practically anything (assuming that it's a computer made in the last 5-8 years).
I have a Lenovo laptop manufactured in 2009, and I run League of Legends and DC Universe on it. It runs fine, and I got it for a steal ($170 off of a friend who used to run WoW on it)
I run small based games, I wouldn't be able to run Skyrim, or any other large games of that proportion. But, I've read that the Razer Gaming systems are the highest quality gaming laptops possible.

I don't disagree with what your saying and I love Razer products but for that price I would rather build a desktop. Something that can be upgraded, plus gaming laptops are big and bulky and hard to carry anyways. Also yeah 2 to 3 years is about the normal life for a laptop. I have had my asus g73jh for about that long and half a year of it was in Iraq so it came into contact with major sand and dust. The best I can tell you is to get a new one and take that apart and learn how to work on a laptop.

Noob

Trispade
Perest

I don't disagree with what your saying and I love Razer products but for that price I would rather build a desktop. Something that can be upgraded, plus gaming laptops are big and bulky and hard to carry anyways. Also yeah 2 to 3 years is about the normal life for a laptop. I have had my asus g73jh for about that long and half a year of it was in Iraq so it came into contact with major sand and dust. The best I can tell you is to get a new one and take that apart and learn how to work on a laptop.

I got a laptop instead of a desktop because I personally don't have a place to put one in my house. So a laptop is as good as it got for me. I'm expecting to keep this laptop til at least my... Say beginning of my Sophomore year in college. I'm a Junior in highschool. I'm sure it;ll become a stone age p.o.s. in that time but when money is tight, not much you can do.

Hygienic Genius

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Statustician 100
oh yeah definitely for college needs i can understand, i have a travel computer that is about to fall apart and my gaming computer that i use to program, work and play on. My personal preference would be to build a portable gaming desktop either micro atx or mini itx based.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
"big" and "bulky" are not words I would apply to laptops like the Razer Blade. It's bucking that trend quite effectively.

The MSI GS70 is also a decent competitor (at least on paper).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff