Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm trying to save a flash video so I can take it apart and learn from it, you know the saying, learn from example. That's how I tought myself animated gifs, but to save those all you have to do is right click. 3nodding Unfortunately that doesn't work with flash. I'm using interenet explorer now, but I have AOL at home. I've been told use the "save as" option under file. That saves the web page but it doesn't save the flash file right. Someone else said to look at the source of the page and find out where the video is linked from. Well that just changed the extention to swf, and it was still a web page. Thirdly I was told it is not even possible, because the flash on the internet is saved in a format that is not like a work in progress. But I don't think this is so. So how does one go about saving a flash video to ones own hard drive?

800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Some flash videos are protected so that you cannot take them apart like that. For ones that you can take apart, I know www.flashkit.com will be able to help you out.
.fla is a work in progress.
.swf is a final uneditable piece of work.

If you want to copy the .swf to your computer, do this (for windows XP)
Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Your name Here\Local Settings (NOTE: Local Settings is a hidden folder. To enable hidden folders, go to the toolbar at the top and go to Tools>Folder Options, click View, and click Show Hidden files or folders)
as I was saying, Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files. If you recently viewed the toon, it'll be somewhere in there. To narrow it down, go to search and search for "*.swf" in there. It will give you all .swfs. Just pick it out from there.
you need macromedia flash to make a flash file, sweetie. it costs about $200.
On Internet Explorer, click "Tools" then "Internet Options". From there, go to "Temporary Internet Files" on the General Tab and click "Settings". From there, click "View Files" then sort by file type. Take whatever *.swf files you what and watch them. But Kuro Katana is right, it's uneditable. You CAN however, download Macromedia Flash MX from http://www.suprnova.org
All you need to do is download http://bittorrent.com/ <----To download it, and then on SuprNova, search for Macromedia Flash MX! whee ....Not that stealing is right.... stare But I endorse it! blaugh
Kuro Katana
.swf is a final uneditable piece of work.

There are programs that allow you to edit and modify .swf files... you just need to have a copy of the file on your harddrive...
I'm not sure if there's any other method for IE users (other than saving the page or looking through your temp. internet files folder), but it's relatively simple in Firefox...

- Go to the page with the flash file you want.
- Go to the "Tools" menu and click on "Page Info".
- Click on the "Media" tab in the window that appears.
- Near the top of the window is a list of files. Find the path that ends in .swf, then click on it.
- Click the "Save As..." button.
- From there it's just like saving a file (choose where you want it).

Works for me. Not sure what you would do with other browsers like Netscape or Opera, as I don't use those.

Oh, and for CREATING flash files (I imagine .swf files are just the end product, and are therefore uneditable), like the others said, you need Macromedia Flash MX. I don't really endorse some of suprnova's torrents, but Macromedia charges exorbitant prices for their products, IMHO...
Audhumla
Some flash videos are protected so that you cannot take them apart like that. For ones that you can take apart, I know www.flashkit.com will be able to help you out.

always worked for me, but from the internet if you want to download flash.
its always *.swf
Uneditable, so I'd say just looking at where you want to learn from is all you need to do
Lichi Mae
On Internet Explorer, click "Tools" then "Internet Options". From there, go to "Temporary Internet Files" on the General Tab and click "Settings". From there, click "View Files" then sort by file type. Take whatever *.swf files you what and watch them. But Kuro Katana is right, it's uneditable. You CAN however, download Macromedia Flash MX from http://www.suprnova.org
All you need to do is download http://bittorrent.com/ <----To download it, and then on SuprNova, search for Macromedia Flash MX! whee ....Not that stealing is right.... stare But I endorse it! blaugh

We are just being swarmed with n00bs these days in C&T. This is staring right into the face of a rule that will get you banned. Not my choice though.
Look at the source and search for ".swf" until you find the file that has a name similer if not the same to the movie name.
Whenever I've wanted to save a .swf file to my hard drive I just view the page's source, then search for the .swf file in the code, copy the url down, and paste it into the address bar to download.
Pheonix9000
you need macromedia flash to make a flash file, sweetie. it costs about $200.
Guess its a good thing I'm a student. We get to use it for free on campus. 3nodding So when I look at the swf video on a web page my computer saves it kinda like it does with annoying midis in the background music for a web page, all i have to do is open the temp folder? That seem easy enough. If anyone else has the same quest as me I've found a program at http://www.download.com/Sothink-SWF-Decompiler/3000-6676_4-10318101.html?tag=lst-0-5 that allows you to decompile flash files back into editable formats.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff