Welcome to Gaia! ::

How do I clear everything off my laptop?

So it has nothing on it (i.e. documents, pics, softwear, downloads, everything)
You could reformate it... If thats what you want... But it wont clear just the files you dont want. It will Clear EVERYTHING and reinstall windows like when you first purchased the computer.
flyingpengwin
You could reformate it... If thats what you want... But it wont clear just the files you dont want. It will Clear EVERYTHING and reinstall windows like when you first purchased the computer.

Thats EXACTLY what I want to do, how do I do that?
Happy Rocks
flyingpengwin

Thats EXACTLY what I want to do, how do I do that?

Why do you want to do this?
Is there a Virus or is it slow?
Usually this is a last resort...
We can help you if theres something going on with it so you dont have to lose everything.
It has a lot of virus on it, and I've gotten it fixed twice, and even after it was 'fixed' it still didn't work right
i tried installing an anti-virus disk on it (the same kind my mom has but it doesn't work, and yet it works on my moms computer, I can't activate it)
can you just tell me how to refore matt it please?
So you want to go back to the way your computer first started, eh?

There's a few ways to do it, but every way requires the right tools. There are ways to format a computer for free, but sending a computer back to the day you got it and formatting ARE NOT the same thing! Simply formatting is wiping EVERYTHING off. You will no longer have windows to use. What the discs do is wipe everything and then reinstall windows. If you do not have a method of reinstalling windows, then formatting will make your computer even more useless than you think it is now.

Some of the methods to format will require your serial/license/product key (I'll call it a Key).
The Key might be printed on a sticker on the side or back of your main computer machine (where you stick discs in), or it may be printed in the manual. If you cannot find it, you can run this program on the computer to see what it is.
http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

How do you know if you have a tool to reinstall windows? There's multiple ways.

1 - Use the discs that came with the computer.
If your computer came with a "restore" or "recovery" disc, put it in your computer and restart it. When you see something like "press whatever key to boot from CD" then press that key to start the CD. Follow the instructions to wipe everything and reinstall windows.

This is one of the easiest and most common methods. Either the disc will install the drivers you need, or there will be a drivers CD you use afterwards. Info on drivers will be at the end of this guide.

2 - Use a recovery partition.
Almost the same as the disc, except you access it by pressing a certain key combination when starting up your computer. This will install the drivers as well.
Not all computers can do this! Go to the site of the company that made the computer, find your computer model (It'll be on your computer's main body where you stick discs in) and get the instruction manual or info there, see if it tells you what key combination to press to activate it.
If the computer was wiped with some other method, then there's a possibility that the recovery partition was erased, so it might not work if somebody else tried doing it a different way first....

3 - Use an official windows install disc.
This is mostly the same as the first one, except that you will need to install the drivers yourself. If you do not have your own install disc, you can use soembody else's. If it's XP, you will need the same version of XP (like home or professional), but if it's Vista you can use any version disc.

---------------------------------------------------------

Your computer might need drivers in order for windows to use all the hardware of your computer as best it can. Without drivers, you will be missing things, like sound or wireless internet or 3D gaming. If you go to the site of the company that made your computer and find your computer model, they will offer all the drivers you need there. I suggest that you download them and burn them onto a CD before formatting, so you can install them right after you install windows. You may not be able to use the internet without the right drivers, so PLEASE take the time to get them beforehand!
Happy Rocks
It has a lot of virus on it, and I've gotten it fixed twice, and even after it was 'fixed' it still didn't work right
i tried installing an anti-virus disk on it (the same kind my mom has but it doesn't work, and yet it works on my moms computer, I can't activate it)

you can go to this link http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/computers-technology/slow-computer-trojan-virus-spyware-look-here-first-new/t.48412007/
And it will help you remove the virus.
If your dead set on just losing everything then you need the recovery disks that came with your computer.
Insert the disk, and restart the computer it should boot to the disk Once there you can select that you want to do a "destructive recovery" or something along those lines because i dont know if you have XP or vista. *called different things*
If it does not boot to the disk and just loads normal post back and someone will tell you how to boot too it (you will have to go into the bios.)
One other thing you can do is sometimes when you insert the disk you can reformat without restarting. Just insert the disk and see what it does before restarting. The disk is very user friendly and shouldnt be hard for you to do.
I Reccomend Malawares Anti malware.

http://download.cnet.com/3001-8022_4-10804572.html?spi=df0349c518a06a91efec9c8a48c3b630&part=dl-10804572
Happy Rocks

Linux terminal command through livecd:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1M

WARNING! This will destroy ALL data on the hard drive, all boot sector info and all data on all partitions. It will not however render the disk useless, you simply have a clean disk that only needs to have partitions created and a new boot sector installed, which will happen when you install any OS including Linux or Windows. This is a good way to clean up any bad partitions, viruses, botched installs or data that you don't want to be seen (OK, it is theoretically possible to forensically retrive data after using this method, but not likely and not doable by the average computer user) and it is simple to do with existing GNU/Linux!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff