Welcome to Gaia! ::

2,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
I <3 Synyster Gates!!!

User Image

Every couple hours our alarm to our house won't stop beeping. Part of the reason is my parents had our phone service changed to time warner so our phone lines go through the internet. Anyways, we have to reset our alarm constantly and I am sick and tired of hearing *BEEP BEEP*

Any tips or solutions? gonk
.....RTFM?
A person cannot be this stupid to think that a smok--

Oh, you're a girl.

Replace the alarm.

450 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
I worked for an alarm company, so I have to ask the basic questions:

Is this a smoke alarm, or a full on Alarm System (IE: Burglar Alarm, door sensors, key-panels, all that jazz). If it is a smoke alarm, Listen to those last few and replace the battery and/or alarm itself.

Now then, that out of the way, if it is a real alarm system (which I'm guessing by the fact you can reset it), usually the consumer's don't get a _real_ manual, so they can't just RTFM. My guess is one of the following is happening:

1) it was not only unplugged from the phone lines, but it itself was unplugged and is now running off of its quite ample internal back-up battery (they place car-battery size buggers in these things sometimes). Hence it will beep every so often until you reset it, then wait a bit longer before beeping again. Find the main panel, follow its cords and to find the power brick/plug and plug it back into the power mains (electrical outlet). It will start recharging and you can go on your merry way.

2) The other things are false leads, and there is a fault in an Alarm sensor, check to see what the key-panel or main panel LCDs are saying, and look for that zone. Fix sensor, or get company to. Run a reset once fixed, now no beeping.

3) It was set up to be a Monitored system (dialed an Alarm Company), and is now peeved it can't call home (the Alarm Company). It thinks there is a big issue. If you are still paying for alarm monitoring, then yes, you have an issue. Run a phone line to the little bugger. Even if you have IP-phone service (if you get phone through your cable, you do) it should still be able to do its low-baud modem tricks over that enough to call the company to do its status reports. If you are no longer contracted for Alarm monitoring, then pay the small sum for the company to come out and deactivate the bugger properly.

If you want advice further than that, I'll need more details.
If it started happening when you got DSL internet. You may need a special filter on your alarm system where it connects to your phone line. Contact your alarm provider and see if this is the case.
Novator
If it started happening when you got DSL internet. You may need a special filter on your alarm system where it connects to your phone line. Contact your alarm provider and see if this is the case.
time warner isn't DSL.
Disgruntled Hatter
Novator
time warner isn't DSL.

haha reading ftw biggrin

Yeah she probably needs to get the alarm system hooked up to the voip then. Which may not work even then.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff