Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay I have some lab homework to do. NO I'm not asking for anyone to do my homework for me! I'm just having a little trouble finding a file. This is for my network security class btw.

So it wants me to run notepad as an administrator, and it wants me to open the file C:windowssystem32driversetchosts (this is me opening all files, not just text files)

Problem is I do not have that file.... the only one I have is Imhosts. Does anyone know what the Imhosts file is for, and why I do not have just a hosts file?

Any help would greatly be appreciated. If my problem can't be solved, then I'll just have to wait until Wednesday and use a lab computer. crying

Thanks in advance!

Aged Lunatic

Make sure you're not trying to open C:WindowsSystem32Driversetchosts as a literal folder.

The "hosts" file is a file with no extension, simplest way to perhaps open this file is to open a windows explorer view and type C:WindowsSystem32driversetc as the actual directory in the address bar at the top. From there you should see an actual "hosts" file, just drag it into your notepad window.
Synapt
Make sure you're not trying to open C:WindowsSystem32Driversetchosts as a literal folder.

The "hosts" file is a file with no extension, simplest way to perhaps open this file is to open a windows explorer view and type C:WindowsSystem32driversetc as the actual directory in the address bar at the top. From there you should see an actual "hosts" file, just drag it into your notepad window.

This is what the steps say:

right-click notepad and select run as administrator

click file and then open. click the file name drop-down arrow to change from text documents to all files

Navigate to the file C:windowssystem32driversetchosts and open it
Are you doing the homework on the computer with internet access? If I remember correctly, doesn't Windows usually put that there when the TCP/IP stack is 'installed'? My hosts file looks like the following:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

Not that I want you to cheat in any way, but you could just 'create' the file yourself and proceed with the assignment from there. D:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff