Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Elocutionist

6,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Brandisher 100
Hullo C&Ters... wondering if you can give me a hand where my own searching and personal knowledge has failed me. I'm trying to swap the OS on my laptop from Windows 7 to Ubuntu via bootable USB as the laptop has no CD/DVD-drive.

It's properly formatted and the image file is working fine because the exact same USB worked on my desktop computer which is now safely and happily running Ubuntu. When I try to boot the laptop via the USB (Yes, I made sure manually changed the boot order in the settings so that the USB Drive is at the top of the list.) to install the OS it never goes past a black screen that says something like "Linux Distribution (c) -year- to -year- yadda yadda yadda -What'shisface'sname- etc... _"

I want my laptop to be just as safe and happy as my desktop now is so please, assist a poor maiden with her technological woes gonk

Shameless Dabbler

Secks Shae
Hullo C&Ters... wondering if you can give me a hand where my own searching and personal knowledge has failed me. I'm trying to swap the OS on my laptop from Windows 7 to Ubuntu via bootable USB as the laptop has no CD/DVD-drive.

It's properly formatted and the image file is working fine because the exact same USB worked on my desktop computer which is now safely and happily running Ubuntu. When I try to boot the laptop via the USB (Yes, I made sure manually changed the boot order in the settings so that the USB Drive is at the top of the list.) to install the OS it never goes past a black screen that says something like "Linux Distribution (c) -year- to -year- yadda yadda yadda -What'shisface'sname- etc... _"

I want my laptop to be just as safe and happy as my desktop now is so please, assist a poor maiden with her technological woes gonk
How long have you left it after it got to that screen? Are you sure the USB install is fine? And what is the model of your laptop?

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Which version of Ubuntu 11.10 are you trying to install?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPo2JvAAoJEMco5sYyM+0wVjgIANHw7Rg3vTW09EjvxrhQmYt/
TAlj4GcgM/N2+09LiQy664jCvqdl1kwcjbSBwTu6vyWdTEjc60wLxiuoOLrvWBAu
HimrjpVFCfJbOlUbLr2Ffbnl5V3pLpnh7TO0O8oGRgCD2VfkYk/9WnJHIAtHwZXH
0bXiyReGbmvz1L+S0pG515KLzarocEsN5FaDbJDbZcx9jKbk0t3HmWz73cF05J7H
+oiy4+dzuqE7wPUds9qRtpf9NpNH5zuKs+uE7BqUpkCXtJIi7PEicaz1fvAcMtkS
Lb00BHdCKHUTnRdpsbeRlf7E6ve9NaPTP26HVysWAV1sCzTdSDuvTtO3oi5HE1Q=
=9buB
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Dangerous Elocutionist

6,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Brandisher 100
Final Fantasy Bandit
How long have you left it after it got to that screen? Are you sure the USB install is fine? And what is the model of your laptop?

1.) Longest I've left it was 20 minutes to a half an hour and it still didn't change screens.
2.) Didn't read the bit where I said I used the exact same USB key to install on another computer didja...
3.) Aspire.

Sitwon

Well, the first several times I tried it was the Oneric Ocelot desktop image and I just retried with the DVD image as well and it yielded the same failed results on the laptop but worked on the desktop again. :/

This is frustrating to no end.

Shameless Dabbler

Secks Shae
Final Fantasy Bandit

1.) Longest I've left it was 20 minutes to a half an hour and it still didn't change screens.
2.) Didn't read the bit where I said I used the exact same USB key to install on another computer didja...
3.) Aspire.

Quote:

Well, the first several times I tried it was the Oneric Ocelot desktop image and I just retried with the DVD image as well and it yielded the same failed results on the laptop but worked on the desktop again. :/

Model number? So you're using the default installer is that right? That's what Sitwon was trying to get at I believe.

Dangerous Elocutionist

6,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Brandisher 100
Final Fantasy Bandit
Model number? So you're using the default installer is that right? That's what Sitwon was trying to get at I believe.

Model number is illegible on the laptop itself, where else can I find it? And yes, default installer.

Timid Bunny

11.10 isn't the newest one and might not have the most updated stuff, is there a "busybox" text anywhere? if your laptop is a rather new model it might be that you might need an updated version of ubuntu. try with 12.04 instead.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Secks Shae
Sitwon

I mean was it the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version. You might have a processor architecture mismatch.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPpUZ3AAoJEMco5sYyM+0w1vcH/jNFY79MO7nzSfH6dKyGpbKi
umKTRIvTJCCzwLsr+pUIwZ1hRcg9Pc/Ojq19v0Giw9HW2fE9sJD57TvySJJ72JJx
Vq2bKhsXZSVSTCTaYFBMGHAOlmx5Fq9t24iVy4H6Chu309WvxLjOl7izstZB/XLZ
PvcxbgLOeGKAZOoTHeiLu53jjjnTMfnqEGZJP6n2dq8Roir+DO/Ybema9dBDi1qh
+TnxG8sEPxzX2h6r3aOozv1GdnoOJo+DB4tpJau8PbJ1x1cOJt5PDom/paFSw/AN
+DZUyuJQk7pAIh9hekBusGVYqxoRfNzKUCZkAcd82LW5MSsghAWrRn9YnW9G2oc=
=aAHP
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Dangerous Elocutionist

6,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Brandisher 100
Sitwon
I mean was it the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version. You might have a processor architecture mismatch.
...Let me get back to you on that, I'll retry with both.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff