Welcome to Gaia! ::

I Am DakeDesu
So it is a program on a mainframe system somewhere then.
For the record, "mainframe" is an obsolete term that applies specifically to very large systems that perform a highly specific task. The modern analogue is supercomputers. These guys use a redundant network of server clusters that perform a variety of tasks.
I Am DakeDesu
So... just have one location to break into to circumvent all of my services?
No. They hold only the encrypted data. They don't even keep the private key generated from your password. They hold only the encrypted blob. If someone managed to get into their system, at most they'd be able to extract a list of email addresses. The rest is opaque blobs.
I Am DakeDesu
Rather than have multiple areas that have to work to be circumvented, I just hand all that information into one area--and think that this keeps all my stuff that much more secure?
Their security and backup practices are a damn sight better than keeping one copy of your KeePass locker file on a USB thumb drive.

The LastPass client can be configured to maintain a local copy, and it's simple to export your data as a CSV file that you can move elsewhere at any time, which you should be doing anyway, if you're half as paranoid as you claim.

This is a secure and reliable service. I use it, and several security professionals I know also use it. But it's merely an example of how you can securely store your unique passwords in exactly the way that you seem intent on "proving" is a bad idea.
I Am DakeDesu
Ah... the sales broachure that I was trying to gather stuff that wasn't bullshit had all the example passwords for "what you should use" limited to roughly twelve characters.
They're examples, not proscriptions.
I Am DakeDesu
But let me guess it is complete unhackable, and thus no reason to worry... their mainframe is running Windows NT--the unhackable OS... oh s**t, lusers have switch to calling OSX the unhackable OS.

Again... just making me trust it even more.
Why are you so intent on painting it in the worst light possible? It's reasonably secure, and the data is transmitted and stored in a form that even they can't access. They're very open about their policies and practices, and as far as I know, they dogfood it heavily, so they have a vested interest in making it as secure as possible.
I Am DakeDesu
Well... you pretty much are the Sheldon of Gaia.
I resent that. I don't even really understand the reference. I've never seen the show.
I Am DakeDesu
Wait... what? Are you now suggesting I use a one word password for my LastPass or KeePass? What?
Are you an illiterate moron? Are you just trying to make excuses?

NO. Jesus Christ, NO. I'm saying all you need is one strong passphrase. I even used that word to make clear that I'm not saying you should use a short password anywhere.
I Am DakeDesu
Though... you did call mainframe services "cloud applications"... so I'm not certain that you really know what you are on about anymore.
I called it a "cloud" with the scarequotes becuase it's a ******** idiotic term that I'm only using for clarity, not because I actually agree with the use of the word.

You really are trying to troll here, aren't you?
I Am DakeDesu
No idea why people have stopped calling these Time Share activities anything other than Mainframes--with Dummy Terminals/Consoles being really the only thing that has came close to retaining that terminology. I mean... XBox 360 is heads and tails beyond NES... so it would only make sense that Mainframes have also developed along with Consoles.
Of course they stopped. Mainframes are an obsolete concept. They were replaced by minicomputers that in turn were replaced with microcomputers and then personal computers. Each was intended for a different purpose and environment and use. We don't even use those terms any more because they're not even relevant.

Sparkly Vampire

7,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
psychic stalker
I Am DakeDesu
So it is a program on a mainframe system somewhere then.
For the record, "mainframe" is an obsolete term that applies specifically to very large systems that perform a highly specific task. The modern analogue is supercomputers. These guys use a redundant network of server clusters that perform a variety of tasks.

Dude, Time Shares were also run mostly on mainframes via Dummy Terminals.

The term still works.

psychic stalker
I Am DakeDesu
No. They hold only the encrypted data. They don't even keep the private key generated from your password. They hold only the encrypted blob. If someone managed to get into their system, at most they'd be able to extract a list of email addresses. The rest is opaque blobs.

So uh... it is impossible for people to guess a single password? Or... how... does

psychic stalker
I Am DakeDesu
Rather than have multiple areas that have to work to be circumvented, I just hand all that information into one area--and think that this keeps all my stuff that much more secure?
Their security and backup practices are a damn sight better than keeping one copy of your KeePass locker file on a USB thumb drive.

Okay... so I DO need some physical medium system to access this?

Quit ******** flip flopping on how it works.

I mention one problem, you say it works one way.

Then I mention another problem, and you detail contradictory behaviour.

psychic stalker
The LastPass client can be configured to maintain a local copy, and it's simple to export your data as a CSV file that you can move elsewhere at any time, which you should be doing anyway, if you're half as paranoid as you claim.

It still requires a device not being set on fire, crushed under a very angry woman's feet or tossed into the bottom of a lake.

Which you just spent telling me that I wouldn't require.

psychic stalker
This is a secure and reliable service. I use it, and several security professionals I know also use it. But it's merely an example of how you can securely store your unique passwords in exactly the way that you seem intent on "proving" is a bad idea.

******** a*****e, I'm not intent on proving anything.

The website is a ******** marketting weasel brochure. I'm half convinced it is snake oil based on how smooth the website is... then when trying to get information on it, I'm getting whatever story it is that you think I want to hear.

If anything, the fact you seem to keep saying what you think I want to hear, has me more worried--as you've already contradicted yourself on its behaviour.

I Am DakeDesu
Ah... the sales broachure that I was trying to gather stuff that wasn't bullshit had all the example passwords for "what you should use" limited to roughly twelve characters.

How the ******** would I know that?

psychic stalker
I Am DakeDesu
But let me guess it is complete unhackable, and thus no reason to worry... their mainframe is running Windows NT--the unhackable OS... oh s**t, lusers have switch to calling OSX the unhackable OS.

Again... just making me trust it even more.
Why are you so intent on painting it in the worst light possible?

Because you keep making it out to be ******** Jesus.

Jesus of password security.

So my first instinct is, I don't believe this.

It is because I am ridiculously jaded.

I remember people calling tOR "Encryption Jesus"... even from any technical angle, tOR was somewhere between ******** retarded and ******** useless.

psychic stalker
It's reasonably secure, and the data is transmitted and stored in a form that even they can't access.

So... how do I go about accessing it?

psychic stalker
They're very open about their policies and practices,

My wetware Adblock pretty much blocks their entire website.

Being open about your policy does not have your website look like you are selling car insurance.

There website is smooth... too smooth. It cannot be trusted.

psychic stalker
and as far as I know, they dogfood it heavily, so they have a vested interest in making it as secure as possible.

Okay... so you are getting irritated with me over not taking stuff on the internet at face value...

psychic stalker
I Am DakeDesu
I resent that. I don't even really understand the reference. I've never seen the show.

And thus you prove you do understand the reference.... and at least have passing knowledge of the show.

psychic stalker
I Am DakeDesu
Wait... what? Are you now suggesting I use a one word password for my LastPass or KeePass? What?
Are you an illiterate moron?

No...

psychic stalker
Are you just trying to make excuses?

No... you just look like a huge fool... and a tool.

psychic stalker
NO. Jesus Christ, NO. I'm saying all you need is one strong passphrase. I even used that word to make clear that I'm not saying you should use a short password anywhere.

Okay... so it is a typo.

Considering I think you are a clown, I was generally going to go with whatever seemed to work in the context of talking with you.

I Am DakeDesu
Though... you did call mainframe services "cloud applications"... so I'm not certain that you really know what you are on about anymore.
I called it a "cloud" with the scarequotes becuase it's a ******** idiotic term that I'm only using for clarity, not because I actually agree with the use of the word.

... you could just have called it a "service"? A Network accessible service?

psychic stalker
You really are trying to troll here, aren't you?

Naw... I just think you are a clown, and thus any advice you give will be put through the wringer to prove it isn't crap, before I follow it.

As much as I hate skeptics... I am also a bit of a hypocrite on that spot.

psychic stalker
I Am DakeDesu
No idea why people have stopped calling these Time Share activities anything other than Mainframes--with Dummy Terminals/Consoles being really the only thing that has came close to retaining that terminology. I mean... XBox 360 is heads and tails beyond NES... so it would only make sense that Mainframes have also developed along with Consoles.
Of course they stopped. Mainframes are an obsolete concept. They were replaced by minicomputers that in turn were replaced with microcomputers and then personal computers. Each was intended for a different purpose and environment and use. We don't even use those terms any more because they're not even relevant.

I dunno... reading through the whole list of things the cloud offers... it reads like stuff that you could read in various Science Fiction stories right up to (and including) the 1980s.

Also... sometimes certain things disappear... and then return.

Like VR Goggles and Laser Disc based storage medium. I mean... yeah, the last set was called "BluRay" based on the laser used... but laser disc storage has appeared and disappeared since the late 1800s. Never staying because ******** laser discs.

So just because a concept went away... it can return. Like Disco. I mean, the latest Daft Punk Album should be justification that Mainframe is an okay term to use.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
So because you've seen words used in album covers makes them legit terminology?

You do realise that music has nothing to do with valid terminology. I've seen Latin being used quite often in song lyrics and titles. You don't see people reverting back to talking in Latin for a reason.

Languages are born, they live, they die and it all happens for a reason. It's the same with computing terminology, which can be considered a specific branch of the English language. Terms are born, they serve their purpose, and then are replaced with a more suitable term.

I've not heard the term "mainframe" in use since the 70s, at least not in anything that isn't a work of fiction like movies and snazzy sales talk. Sales talk is a bunch of well disguised BS and should be disregarded immediately as such.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
IBM, at least, still uses the word Mainframe in their marketing. It is used colloquially to refer to all kinds of things, such as terminal servers which historically were run on Mainframes.

Sometimes, it is used colloquially to refer to servers in general, especially those kept in a server room.

It's hypocritical to acknowledge that languages are living and evolving with a fluid vocabulary, while also criticizing someone else's use of a term.

It would be fair to say that the term "Mainframe" was ambiguous in the context in which they used it. However you can't both acknowledge that language changes in a rapid and disorganized fashion, and also claim authority on the "one true meaning" of a given word.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker
I Am DakeDesu

So uh... it is impossible for people to guess a single password? Or... how... does

psychic stalker
I Am DakeDesu

Okay... so I DO need some physical medium system to access this?

Quit ******** flip flopping on how it works.

I mention one problem, you say it works one way.

Then I mention another problem, and you detail contradictory behaviour.
You are clearly either not reading what I'm saying or you are making things up.

No. You do not need "some physical medium system" to access LastPass. All you need is a browser extension or mobile app.

KeePass requires storage, because it's a local password storage locker that uses a local file.

I'm not flip-flopping. You're allowing your illiteracy to show.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker

It still requires a device not being set on fire, crushed under a very angry woman's feet or tossed into the bottom of a lake.

Which you just spent telling me that I wouldn't require.
And if you were actually reading what I said, you would understand that LastPass maintains a copy on a remote server. It also maintains a local cached copy. All of these are encrypted using a strong cryptographic key generated from the single password you use for LastPass. That password and the key generated from it is not stored anywhere. Only the encrypted locker containing the rest of your files is stored anywhere, and it is stored remotely on LastPass' servers.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker

******** a*****e, I'm not intent on proving anything.

The website is a ******** marketting weasel brochure. I'm half convinced it is snake oil based on how smooth the website is... then when trying to get information on it, I'm getting whatever story it is that you think I want to hear.

If anything, the fact you seem to keep saying what you think I want to hear, has me more worried--as you've already contradicted yourself on its behaviour.
I have not. You are being confrontational and presenting the image that you're pretending to be confused.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker

How the ******** would I know that?
By reading, and thinking critically.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker
Why are you so intent on painting it in the worst light possible?

Because you keep making it out to be ******** Jesus.

Jesus of password security.

So my first instinct is, I don't believe this.

It is because I am ridiculously jaded.

I remember people calling tOR "Encryption Jesus"... even from any technical angle, tOR was somewhere between ******** retarded and ******** useless.
ToR is not "******** useless." It has a narrowly-defined purpose: Namely, that it is a tunneling proxy designed to provide a measure of anonymity. Their own website says as much. People ascribe to it magical powers of security because they're stupid and don't understand that an encrypted tunnel to an untrusted endpoint is not security.

And I am not making LastPass out to be some kind of magical security Jesus. You are the one ascribing that image to it. I'm just telling you what it is and how it works.

I suggested LastPass as an example of how you can use unique randomized passwords for every service you use without having to remember anything.

But you seem to have not read that part.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker
It's reasonably secure, and the data is transmitted and stored in a form that even they can't access.

So... how do I go about accessing it?
By installing a browser extension. That's what I explained four times now.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker
They're very open about their policies and practices,

My wetware Adblock pretty much blocks their entire website.

Being open about your policy does not have your website look like you are selling car insurance.

There website is smooth... too smooth. It cannot be trusted.
Then stop looking at their marketing website and read their blog instead.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker
and as far as I know, they dogfood it heavily, so they have a vested interest in making it as secure as possible.

Okay... so you are getting irritated with me over not taking stuff on the internet at face value...
No, I'm getting irritated by your apparent unwillingness to read and comprehend.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker
I Am DakeDesu

And thus you prove you do understand the reference.... and at least have passing knowledge of the show.
I have passing knowledge only insofar that I watched the first ten minutes and shut it off and have not exposed myself to it (intentionally or otherwise) since.
I Am DakeDesu
So just because a concept went away... it can return. Like Disco. I mean, the latest Daft Punk Album should be justification that Mainframe is an okay term to use.
But unlike disco or VR, mainframes went the way of the dodo when they were replaced by microcomputers. It's an outmoded concept that doesn't reflect how modern computers are used.

IBM's own mainframes don't even sell well - no one uses dumb terminals to timeshare mainframes any more. They haven't for decades.

Sparkly Vampire

7,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
psychic stalker

Uh... and you are kind of ignoring some stuff I say.

psychic stalker
No. You do not need "some physical medium system" to access LastPass. All you need is a browser extension or mobile app.

... So internet browsers don't take up hard drive space?

Sorry... I am trying to follow you here... but so after I install this browser extension on every computer, I can access it? What stops other people from accessing it with the browser extensions then?

Look... where is the information I need to access this stored? I'm assuming it is where the programs and software I am using it will be stored. If not on the hard drive medium... where?

psychic stalker
KeePass requires storage, because it's a local password storage locker that uses a local file.

Okay... that makes a bit more sense... and sounds similar to KDE's KWallet.

psychic stalker
I'm not flip-flopping.

So... internet browsers do not take up hard drive space?

I'm trying to figure this s**t out... and...

psychic stalker
You're allowing your illiteracy to show.

Naw... you are just telling me whatever it is you think I want to hear to use your password jesus.

I Am DakeDesu
And if you were actually reading what I said, you would understand that LastPass maintains a copy on a remote server. It also maintains a local cached copy.

So... all it takes is one password to access all my passwords?

I'm sorry... but I don't think you understand how it keeps stuff safely stored.

I'm listening... you just are being contradictorial.

psychic stalker
All of these are encrypted using a strong cryptographic key generated from the single password you use for LastPass.

Oookay... straight forward then?

psychic stalker
That password and the key generated from it is not stored anywhere.

So... I only need a password, and not a key to access all this stuff then?

psychic stalker
Only the encrypted locker containing the rest of your files is stored anywhere, and it is stored remotely on LastPass' servers.

Which... me being the only person with a network connection in the world can try to log into.

psychic stalker
]I have not. You are being confrontational and presenting the image that you're pretending to be confused.

Wait... so I'm both pretending to not get what you are saying... AND illiterate.

So... uh... being illiterate would then... have me not pretending I don't get it... and thus I would get it?

And yes... I am confrontational. Why the ******** is it wrong to question people about s**t.

psychic stalker

By... reading... what?

And... is thinking critically now what we are calling, "pretending fools don't exist"?

psychic stalker
ToR is not "******** useless." It has a narrowly-defined purpose: Namely, that it is a tunneling proxy designed to provide a measure of anonymity.

Yet, when it fails at its purpose, I can say it is useless towards obtaining that purpose

psychic stalker
Their own website says as much. People ascribe to it magical powers of security because they're stupid and don't understand that an encrypted tunnel to an untrusted endpoint is not security.

It isn't even an encrypted tunnel.

Without taking into account the DNS look up issues during tOR, it is filled with easy places to Man-In-The-Middle the traffic... and when you have all the exit nodes easy to map by merely loading up tOR, and recording all the places your traffic leaves upon going through tOR while talking to yourself...

Even the description of it being an onion is rather inaccurate.

It is like the name "Big Bang" being used to describe the start of the universe... as well, a "bang" taking 300 Million Years to finish... really isn't an explosion.

psychic stalker
And I am not making LastPass out to be some kind of magical security Jesus. You are the one ascribing that image to it. I'm just telling you what it is and how it works.

Tell me one bad thing about LastPass. Talk about is flaws.

Bring up its cons as well as its pros.

Only then, will it not be password jesus from you.

God... you talk about critical thinking... but then act weird when I'm like, "well... it sounds pretty damned good--what is the flaw"... like doing that makes me an a*****e.

psychic stalker
I suggested LastPass as an example of how you can use unique randomized passwords for every service you use without having to remember anything.

Dude... people mention random things around me in conversation like all the time.

Then they get pissed off when I don't immediately act on that s**t, like I am being picky and don't want their help.

Most of the time, it is stupid silly s**t that don't work.

psychic stalker

You were being random in conversation... I reacted as such.

I Am DakeDesu
]By installing a browser extension. That's what I explained four times now.

Sooo... browser extensions are not located on local medium?

Have... have I been out of the loop for long enough, that software just hangs in the middle of thin air?

I Am DakeDesu

This is the first I even knew such a place existed.

Google did not return their blog when I search.

psychic stalker
No, I'm getting irritated by your apparent unwillingness to read and comprehend.

Dude... I comprehend. I comprehend that you think software just floats in mid-air somewhere.

That if I lose the device the software is located on... that this won't stop there from being an issue from requiring a specific software item.

Or... that somehow having all your passwords stored in one place under a single password... seems like an idea that totally misses the point of what a password is.

psychic stalker
I have passing knowledge only insofar that I watched the first ten minutes and shut it off and have not exposed myself to it (intentionally or otherwise) since.

Eh... you don't really need to watch more of that. You kind of got the point.

psychic stalker
But unlike disco or VR, mainframes went the way of the dodo when they were replaced by microcomputers. It's an outmoded concept that doesn't reflect how modern computers are used.

So... stop using the word computer.

Hiring employees to do a lot of calculations and math is an outmoded concept. So ergo the word computer has to go, since nobody hires a "computer" at any job openings.

Under your logic of why mainframe does not apply... the word "computer" itself does not apply.

psychic stalker
IBM's own mainframes don't even sell well - no one uses dumb terminals to timeshare mainframes any more. They haven't for decades.

Really... people keep suggesting a solution to my computer not having the latest hardware is to get a "cloud" account somewhere, and play the game on a Cloud-OS account thing.

So... somebody keeps suggesting something that sounds like using old electronics as a dumb terminal.

But... wait... that is an out dated concept... like hiring a computer along with a secretary and a lawyer at a job opening fair.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker

Uh... and you are kind of ignoring some stuff I say.
I'm skipping stuff that I don't think needs to be addressed.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker

... So internet browsers don't take up hard drive space?
I'm trying to figure out if you're being genuine here.

LastPass, like any password locker, is a tool to keep track of passwords you use on websites. Having a browser installed is kind of a prerequisite.
I Am DakeDesu
Sorry... I am trying to follow you here... but so after I install this browser extension on every computer, I can access it? What stops other people from accessing it with the browser extensions then?
The extension does only one thing: It prompts for your password, then downloads your password locker, and gives you a friendly interface to access your passwords.
You can configure it to require your password every time you use it, or you can configure it to remember your password for a limited time. When that timeout runs out, it logs you out completely and purges its cache, and forgets your login. When you log in again, it starts over.
I Am DakeDesu
Look... where is the information I need to access this stored? I'm assuming it is where the programs and software I am using it will be stored. If not on the hard drive medium... where?
The LastPass servers. The extension itself doesn't save anything unless you explicitly instruct it to. It doesn't even save your LastPass login anywhere.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker

Yes. Precisely.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker
I'm not flip-flopping.

So... internet browsers do not take up hard drive space?

I'm trying to figure this s**t out... and...

psychic stalker
You're allowing your illiteracy to show.

Naw... you are just telling me whatever it is you think I want to hear to use your password jesus.
No, I'm trying to genuinely answer your questions, but your confrontational attitude is setting me off. I'm sincerely sorry about that.

But your responding to me with inane questions like "So... internet browsers do not take up hard drive space?" only makes me think you're deliberately trolling me, because nowhere have I once suggested anything remotely along those lines.

There are three parts here:
  1. Your browser.
  2. The LastPass browser extension
  3. The LastPass servers, where your passwords list is stored, in an encrypted form.

I have talked about nothing else. I have made no statements contrary to these. I have only assumed basic English literacy. Clearly I was wrong. For that I apologize.
I Am DakeDesu
So... all it takes is one password to access all my passwords?
Yes. And that password is never stored anywhere.

When you log in to LastPass, it generates a decryption key on your computer. Then it downloads your passwords file to your computer. Then it decrypts that file using the key generated from your password so you can access your passwords.

That login password is the only one required to access that file. You can (and should!) change that password on a regular basis.
I Am DakeDesu
I'm sorry... but I don't think you understand how it keeps stuff safely stored.

I'm listening... you just are being contradictorial.
And if you think I'm being "contradictorial," (what does that even mean?) all I can infer from that is that you are not actually reading what I say, and that you are inferring things that I never said. My "contradictions" are my attempts to correct your failure to understand what I've said.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker
All of these are encrypted using a strong cryptographic key generated from the single password you use for LastPass.

psychic stalker
That password and the key generated from it is not stored anywhere.

So... I only need a password, and not a key to access all this stuff then?
That decryption key is derived from your password. So, no, you don't need a key.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker
Only the encrypted locker containing the rest of your files is stored anywhere, and it is stored remotely on LastPass' servers.

Which... me being the only person with a network connection in the world can try to log into.
Don't be absurd.

I'm not ******** trying to sell you something. I'm explaining how this service works because you asked me to.

If you don't want me to explain how this works, then ******** tell me so I can drop the subject.
I Am DakeDesu
And yes... I am confrontational. Why the ******** is it wrong to question people about s**t.
It's possible to ask questions with a genuine desire for information without being confrontational about every little ******** thing.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker

By... reading... what?

And... is thinking critically now what we are calling, "pretending fools don't exist"?
No, Thinking critically means "by pretending that you yourself are not an imbecile like everyone else." In the context of this specific sub-thread of our conversation (a term I use lightly), this means that you should read that LastPass marketing page in the mindset that you are not stupid and that you won't use insecure passwords, and that you will in fact be storing only strong, high-entropy passwords.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker
ToR is not "******** useless." It has a narrowly-defined purpose: Namely, that it is a tunneling proxy designed to provide a measure of anonymity.

Yet, when it fails at its purpose, I can say it is useless towards obtaining that purpose
... Yet it does not fail at its core purpose. Its only failing is the people using it assuming a level of implicit trust that they shouldn't have.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker
Their own website says as much. People ascribe to it magical powers of security because they're stupid and don't understand that an encrypted tunnel to an untrusted endpoint is not security.

It isn't even an encrypted tunnel.

Without taking into account the DNS look up issues during tOR, it is filled with easy places to Man-In-The-Middle the traffic... and when you have all the exit nodes easy to map by merely loading up tOR, and recording all the places your traffic leaves upon going through tOR while talking to yourself...

Even the description of it being an onion is rather inaccurate.

It is like the name "Big Bang" being used to describe the start of the universe... as well, a "bang" taking 300 Million Years to finish... really isn't an explosion.
That's unfair.

The description of ToR being an "onion" comes from the fact that it uses a sequence of nested encrypted tunnels through three peers to find an exit node. The description on their site is clear about this.

The DNS lookup issue is a failure of browser vendors, and not ToR itself. Some browsers don't use the proxy's DNS lookup as they should and incorrectly default to using an external DNS server. ToR can't control that.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker

Tell me one bad thing about LastPass. Talk about is flaws.

Bring up its cons as well as its pros.
I have not talked about any ******** "pros" and so have never needed to point out "cons." I have only told you how it works.

But if you want a ******** list, here you go:
  • Pros
    • It stores your passwords securely
    • You can access it from anywhere without needing to shuttle files around. All you need is a browser extension or the mobile app.
    • They maintain good, secure backups and keep on top of security issues
  • Cons:
    • It's a single point of failure: If your password is stolen, access to your LastPass account is trivial. This is mitigated by changing your password regularly and using a strong passphrase, which you should be doing already. (I have stated this at least once.)
    • You're trusting a third party to hold your data. This is mitigated by exporting and backing it up on a regular basis, which you should be doing already. (I have mentioned this at least once.)

There. There's your ******** list.
I Am DakeDesu
God... you talk about critical thinking... but then act weird when I'm like, "well... it sounds pretty damned good--what is the flaw"... like doing that makes me an a*****e.
That's not what you did. You started asking unreasonably inane troll questions and made offensive statements about me.

If you want to know about potential flaws, then ask, simply, "what are some problems with this?" Don't go into a tirade about how I'm a "Sheldon," whatever the ******** that means.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker

Dude... people mention random things around me in conversation like all the time.

Then they get pissed off when I don't immediately act on that s**t, like I am being picky and don't want their help.

Most of the time, it is stupid silly s**t that don't work.
Going off what has been said between us here, I'm going to say that it's not "when [you] don't immediately act" but "when you say inane things and ad hominems."
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker

You were being random in conversation... I reacted as such.
I was not "being random." The thread of conversation led to a point about needing to remember complex passwords. I offered a solution to the problem. You went on a random, confused tangent which I tried to clarify. Then you went on a tirade about how I was wrong.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker
By installing a browser extension. That's what I explained four times now.

Sooo... browser extensions are not located on local medium?

Have... have I been out of the loop for long enough, that software just hangs in the middle of thin air?
Let's go back, then, to your first statement:
I Am DakeDesu
I very rarely hold onto the same physical device for long enough to have that not become a problem for me to use.
My response to that is that this is not an issue for LastPass, because all you require to move to a new physical device is a single password.

You are the one bringing metaphysics into this.

I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker

This is the first I even knew such a place existed.

Google did not return their blog when I search.
It was the first result when I googled "lastpass blog." When I said that LastPass is "very open about their service," I assumed you would understand this to mean that they maintain a blog where they discuss service issues openly.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker

Dude... I comprehend. I comprehend that you think software just floats in mid-air somewhere.
If that's what you sincerely "comprehend," then your failure to understand me is complete.

Please point to the exact language I used that led to this misunderstanding. I will correct it.
I Am DakeDesu
That if I lose the device the software is located on... that this won't stop there from being an issue from requiring a specific software item.

Or... that somehow having all your passwords stored in one place under a single password... seems like an idea that totally misses the point of what a password is.
It's a convenience tool. It is a tool that solves the very specific problem of needing unique, strong passwords on hundreds of websites. Nothing more, nothing less.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker

Eh... you don't really need to watch more of that. You kind of got the point.
I kind of didn't get the point. I'm told often that I'm part of the target demographic for that obscenely offensive shitshow. I was appalled when I learned that Neil deGrasse Tyson guest-starred on it.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker

So... stop using the word computer.

Hiring employees to do a lot of calculations and math is an outmoded concept. So ergo the word computer has to go, since nobody hires a "computer" at any job openings.

Under your logic of why mainframe does not apply... the word "computer" itself does not apply.
My logic is that "mainframe" has fallen into disuse, and that its meaning has not changed. "Computer" has never fallen into disuse, and in the 1940's, its meaning changed.

It's misleading to use the term "mainframe" when talking about anything other than single-computer centralized timeshare systems wherein the primary interface is the dumb terminal or teletype. This model of computing is not used, so the term "mainframe" should be avoided to disabuse the listener of confusion.
I Am DakeDesu
psychic stalker

Really... people keep suggesting a solution to my computer not having the latest hardware is to get a "cloud" account somewhere, and play the game on a Cloud-OS account thing.
And if you don't want to do that, that's fine. KeePass has been mentioned as a (less-convenient) alternative. You've even mentioned KWallet, which is essentially the same thing.
I Am DakeDesu
So... somebody keeps suggesting something that sounds like using old electronics as a dumb terminal.

But... wait... that is an out dated concept... like hiring a computer along with a secretary and a lawyer at a job opening fair.
I'm not even going to try to understand what you're saying here, because your words have suddenly stopped making sense.

Sparkly Vampire

7,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
psychic stalker
I'm skipping stuff that I don't think needs to be addressed.

Well... obviously you are wrong.

psychic stalker
I'm trying to figure out if you're being genuine here.

LastPass, like any password locker, is a tool to keep track of passwords you use on websites. Having a browser installed is kind of a prerequisite.

I've been known to navigate the web using a text pager and a copy of Curl or WWWGet. Though... I suppose that technically counts as a web browser.

Either way, you told me what I was wanting later on in the post.

psychic stalker
The extension does only one thing: It prompts for your password, then downloads your password locker, and gives you a friendly interface to access your passwords.
You can configure it to require your password every time you use it, or you can configure it to remember your password for a limited time. When that timeout runs out, it logs you out completely and purges its cache, and forgets your login. When you log in again, it starts over.

Alright... that is a decent amount of information.

psychic stalker
The LastPass servers. The extension itself doesn't save anything unless you explicitly instruct it to. It doesn't even save your LastPass login anywhere.

This is a case where skipping over stuff you don't think important turns you into an a*****e. Just sayin'.

psychic stalker
I Am DakeDesu

Yes. Precisely.

Thank you... finally an answer that isn't condescending.

psychic stalker
]No, I'm trying to genuinely answer your questions, but your confrontational attitude is setting me off. I'm sincerely sorry about that.

I'm not sorry. You kind of are a clown.

Either way... it has taken how many posts for me to get anywhere with this with you? Exactly.

psychic stalker
But your responding to me with inane questions like "So... internet browsers do not take up hard drive space?" only makes me think you're deliberately trolling me, because nowhere have I once suggested anything remotely along those lines.

You kind of went off on a tangent when I kept asking about why the concept of storing all my passwords behind a single password wouldn't be a ridiculously insecure notion.

psychic stalker

There are three parts here:
  1. Your browser.
  2. The LastPass browser extension
  3. The LastPass servers, where your passwords list is stored, in an encrypted form.

Nice to know this list of stuff... essentially it is just one password to break into all my passwords.

Rather than having to break into every one of my services individually.

Speeding up the job for anybody cracking my stuff.

psychic stalker
I have talked about nothing else. I have made no statements contrary to these. I have only assumed basic English literacy. Clearly I was wrong. For that I apologize.

Would you stop ******** talking s**t to me?

This is why I get so confrontational you a*****e.

The issue comes when I am trying to follow the LOGIC in your statements you d**k head.

psychic stalker
Yes. And that password is never stored anywhere.

The fact the one password is never stored anywhere, really doesn't have anything to do with anything.

You said, breaking into the server would do the person no good, as they'd not be able to see anything with the server's stuff along. Suggesting something at the user's client end was required for the stuff on the server to be used.

psychic stalker
When you log in to LastPass, it generates a decryption key on your computer. Then it downloads your passwords file to your computer. Then it decrypts that file using the key generated from your password so you can access your passwords. That login password is the only one required to access that file. You can (and should!) change that password on a regular basis.

This is still a case of putting all my eggs into one basket... and that seems like an even worse idea than not using this service.

It pretty much is the same thing as using the same password on every website.

psychic stalker
And if you think I'm being "contradictorial," (what does that even mean?)

It means your logic either has gaping huge holes indicating you are a fool...

Or that your logic is solid, and it not only doesn't fit together, but seems to go against itself in how it works.

Either it contradicts itself... or you are leaving out steps of the whole thing.

psychic stalker
all I can infer from that is that you are not actually reading what I say, and that you are inferring things that I never said. My "contradictions" are my attempts to correct your failure to understand what I've said.

Dude... I'm trying to follow from a logic thought point.

English is a language I translates things into and out of to understand what is being said. I don't think in English, and don't understand anybody who is capable of doing that.

I am taking these words... and translating them into a logical thought flow.

Here... your solution to using the same password on every website, would be to keep all your passwords protected by a single password.

Which is contradictory in that you are offering a solution to a problem where the solution IS the problem.

psychic stalker

psychic stalker
]That decryption key is derived from your password. So, no, you don't need a key.

All my eggs in one basket. Woohoo!

psychic stalker
Don't be absurd.

I'll be absurd when I see clowns doing stuff.

Don't worry, I am down with the clown.

psychic stalker
I'm not ******** trying to sell you something. I'm explaining how this service works because you asked me to.

A service you initially suggested is a good idea to use and a big recommendation.

Then seemed to get offended when I said it seemed like a terrible idea.

Yeeeaaaah... I think you are full of s**t.

psychic stalker
If you don't want me to explain how this works, then ******** tell me so I can drop the subject.

I never said that.

psychic stalker
]It's possible to ask questions with a genuine desire for information without being confrontational about every little ******** thing.

Not with you... not with you.

You kind of are an insulting ******** of condescension.

Or... can you read that, or are you too much of a ******** retarded kid to follow this irritation I have with you?

Can you said jerkwad, boys and girls?

Yeeeaaaah... I'm gonna get real confrontational with your insulting a**.

psychic stalker
No, Thinking critically means "by pretending that you yourself are not an imbecile like everyone else." In the context of this specific sub-thread of our conversation (a term I use lightly), this means that you should read that LastPass marketing page in the mindset that you are not stupid and that you won't use insecure passwords, and that you will in fact be storing only strong, high-entropy passwords.

Dude... it is somebody else's product... and that website is really hard to read, as it is a huge long glossy sales speil. I cannot take that website seriously.

Since I haven't used LastPass, I don't know that it doesn't do more than just those short password things... which guess what? Are often said to be high quality passwords.

The more glossy something is... the more likely I will react to it like it is snake oil.

psychic stalker
... Yet it does not fail at its core purpose.

For the sake of another weird set of logical self contradictional response...

What is tOR's core purpose?

psychic stalker
Its only failing is the people using it assuming a level of implicit trust that they shouldn't have.

An implicit trust you just said I should have for reading the lastpass website?

psychic stalker
That's unfair.

The description of ToR being an "onion" comes from the fact that it uses a sequence of nested encrypted tunnels through three peers to find an exit node. The description on their site is clear about this.

That wouldn't even look like an onion...

psychic stalker
The DNS lookup issue is a failure of browser vendors, and not ToR itself. Some browsers don't use the proxy's DNS lookup as they should and incorrectly default to using an external DNS server. ToR can't control that.

... that sounds like a major glitch in various web browsers.

It also explains why I kept getting DNS errors anytime I've tried to set up network proxies. I spent all my time trying to figure out what I fired out incorrectly.

psychic stalker
I have not talked about any ******** "pros" and so have never needed to point out "cons." I have only told you how it works.

Protip: Everything you said has been a pro

psychic stalker

But if you want a ******** list, here you go:
  • Pros
    • It stores your passwords securely
    • You can access it from anywhere without needing to shuttle files around. All you need is a browser extension or the mobile app.
    • They maintain good, secure backups and keep on top of security issues
  • Cons:
    • It's a single point of failure: If your password is stolen, access to your LastPass account is trivial. This is mitigated by changing your password regularly and using a strong passphrase, which you should be doing already. (I have stated this at least once.)
    • You're trusting a third party to hold your data. This is mitigated by exporting and backing it up on a regular basis, which you should be doing already. (I have mentioned this at least once.)

There. There's your ******** list.

Thank you! The cons on the list sounds like why I'd not use it. Now you can pretend you are pissy about it, because I was rude to you, while you were being rude to me about it.

psychic stalker
That's not what you did. You started asking unreasonably inane troll questions and made offensive statements about me.

You started first by making offensive statements in regards to me.

You know... because I NEVER LEARNED HOW TO READ *Accepts Oscar for performance*

The difference is, your offensive statements weren't as honest about what they were as mine.

The questions were not inane troll questions... they honestly were because you were
A) Treating me like an idiot
B) Holding an air of superiority
C) Not explaining what it was you were on about sufficently
D) Seeming like you were proposing a contradictory solution to a problem in that the solution was the problem itself.

Naturally, you just made yourself out to be more and more of a clown during our interactions.

But wait... the problem is I am an uneducated ******** moron rube idiot troll who mostly exists to ruin your day with being a buffoon around you--and you are oh so burdened with my existence in your communications.

psychic stalker

If you want to know about potential flaws, then ask, simply, "what are some problems with this?"

Or... when you offer a solution, or explain how something works, don't just paint a rosey picture of it?

Maybe point out issues with things as you talk about them? Point out situations where these issues could be over looked.

psychic stalker
Don't go into a tirade about how I'm a "Sheldon," whatever the ******** that means.

Because I totally went onto a tirade about how you are Sheldon.

I made a snide asside remark.

A tirade would be if I did a long rant comparing and quoting various episodes of the Big Bang Theory and including possible issues with said thesis.

I didn't go on anymore of a tirade, than you did about me being some mud eating illiterate moron trying to ******** steal your thunder.

We both just tossed this s**t in amongst the words in our topics.

psychic stalker
Going off what has been said between us here, I'm going to say that it's not "when [you] don't immediately act" but "when you say inane things and ad hominems."

Naw... I've tried both.

Saying inane things and making use of ad hominems just make the frustrating situation a bit more amusing.

Just because I've chosen to go for one terrible scenario doesn't mean I'm not experienced with both.

I try many many different and new things.

I mean... the character you see today isn't who burst out of her mother's chest and ran around the vents eating space marines... I've grown a lot as a person since that fateful day.

So... just because I am handling something how I am now... does not mean I haven't attempted the other solutions. It does not mean I have either.

psychic stalker
I was not "being random." The thread of conversation led to a point about needing to remember complex passwords. I offered a solution to the problem. You went on a random, confused tangent which I tried to clarify. Then you went on a tirade about how I was wrong.

Dude... I was just responding to you being a condescending a*****e saying this solution was an unbreakable answer to people cracking into people's accounts.

This "tirade" was a response to your "soap boxing"

Part of where my response came from... is that suggesting one password as a solution to a problem that is stated as "one password"... seems like a solution that is mismatched to the problem.

Then you were just a whole jerkface about it and said I didn't know how to read, and wasn't able to understand your awesome special snowflakeness... or something.

It takes two to tango... and it takes two to be a bickering pair of assholes.

psychic stalker
You are the one bringing metaphysics into this.

Because you gave an unclear response when I asked about attacking the server that my password was stored upon... one that just got murkier the more and more we discussed this.

With you defending your position as "ignoring anything not important" and "Katrina cannot ******** read s**t"

psychic stalker
It was the first result when I googled "lastpass blog."

Why the ******** would anybody think to google that?

psychic stalker
When I said that LastPass is "very open about their service," I assumed you would understand this to mean that they maintain a blog where they discuss service issues openly.

Why would I jump to that conclusion? That... that is a bit of a jump.

I am female... ergo I must have a tumblr and a youtube channel! Wait... that... that is a bit of a weird path to jump on this matter.

This is what I'm talking about when it seems like your conclusions are very illogical... or you just seem to skip steps in your work.

psychic stalker
If that's what you sincerely "comprehend," then your failure to understand me is complete.

Dude... I'm not going to say I totally get what is going on it your head.

I understand you tend to be very rude when talking about it however.

psychic stalker
Please point to the exact language I used that led to this misunderstanding. I will correct it.

Eh... that is not going to work that well.

I translate stuff into and out of English in order to converse in English.

Each word exists as a seperate glyph.

If I don't parse the English Glyphs correctly, then the issue is going to be on that.

Your best bet is to try to guess how I'll parse the statements, rather than going with "Exact words"... as how I parse the statements is more important to how I respond that what words you use.

In this case... it seems you were skipping a few declarations in talking about this subject, and then acted like I was an idiot... which had me parsing my response into the English, "******** YOU!"

psychic stalker
It's a convenience tool. It is a tool that solves the very specific problem of needing unique, strong passwords on hundreds of websites. Nothing more, nothing less.

Most people just use the same password on hundreds of websites... which is only one step different from that.

I Am DakeDesu
I kind of didn't get the point. I'm told often that I'm part of the target demographic for that obscenely offensive shitshow. I was appalled when I learned that Neil deGrasse Tyson guest-starred on it.

Naaaw. You aren't part of the demographic. You are actually in the demographic that wouldn't understand the show.

psychic stalker
My logic is that "mainframe" has fallen into disuse, and that its meaning has not changed. "Computer" has never fallen into disuse, and in the 1940's, its meaning changed.

I'm saying change the definition a little bit.

psychic stalker

It's misleading to use the term "mainframe" when talking about anything other than single-computer centralized timeshare systems wherein the primary interface is the dumb terminal or teletype. This model of computing is not used, so the term "mainframe" should be avoided to disabuse the listener of confusion.

... to be fair, the "single computer" was often a system with multiple simplistic systems moved together to have the processing power of more than a simple calculator.

The technology of that time would have had mainframes as being the equivalent of today's blade servers or cluster computer systems. Not the same... but... yeah.

It wasn't just one huge Motherboard taking up a room. Yes... the functions have since then been simplified into a motherboard... but at the time it was... well motherboard is the wrong word... but it was several circuit boards all connected in a fairly functional way.

I'm mostly not understanding why you consider it so different here... but then it doesn't surprise me.

psychic stalker
And if you don't want to do that, that's fine. KeePass has been mentioned as a (less-convenient) alternative. You've even mentioned KWallet, which is essentially the same thing.

And now you are being fairly civil... good job... I'm trying to congradulate you in a nonsarcastic manner as I believe in pointing out when people do things right. It is hard... as you are really a jerk.

psychic stalker
I'm not even going to try to understand what you're saying here, because your words have suddenly stopped making sense.

Rather convient to say when I pretty much am proving your wrong.

"What... somebody has found my statements to be false... wait... it won't work if I just don't think they are making sense"

a*****e.
I give up. I'm not even going to bother trying any more.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff