Welcome to Gaia! ::

I have been building a computer recently. It has no case, I call it the GDP (Ghetto Data Processor). Well, I got a 10 gb hard drive from a friend of mine, and it worked when I got it, but about a week ago, it just stopped working. You can feel, and hear it running, but the computer will not detect it. I have tried switching the jumper to every setting, and nothing happens. Anyone got any ideas? or Should i just give up? >.<

MEep
Try running a disk repair utility on it like notron utilities or diskwarrior.
Check the IDE cable, possibly use another one.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
10GB? Sounds pretty old... could be that the hard drive has knackered. If checking the cables doesn't work and you can get another Hard Drive try another Hard Drive.
okay three main thoughts, one: i've been working with a lot of older computers and it seems a lot of harddrives that are 10gb are failing this month... dont ask why i had like 4 computers harddrives start having random bsod, u should test the hard drive as a slave in another computer to check if the harddrive didnt die. secondly if u got no case ur computer is really ghetto and ur just opening ur self up for to many problems by not protecting it so there could be multiple computers, and finally i would test all the parts to see if they are working, and keep trying
Samatros
Check the IDE cable, possibly use another one.

I've switched the cable twice (3 different cables)

Perfect Regular

How about using a different IDE channel?
werecraft
okay three main thoughts, one: i've been working with a lot of older computers and it seems a lot of harddrives that are 10gb are failing this month... dont ask why i had like 4 computers harddrives start having random bsod, u should test the hard drive as a slave in another computer to check if the harddrive didnt die. secondly if u got no case ur computer is really ghetto and ur just opening ur self up for to many problems by not protecting it so there could be multiple computers, and finally i would test all the parts to see if they are working, and keep trying

Not to sound wrong, but I dont really care about this computer that much. Half the parts I found half off, for numerous reasons, at computer crap stores. And Ive tried running the drive as a slave in my main computer (it has a case lol) and no go =\
All the other parts work (for the most part) a few of them are damaged beyong repair...but for the most part my P100, 32mb ram, computer (with windows 98 SE) runs very nicely ^_^
mrmadman

Im usually computer literate, but what do you mean by "channel"?
Lanackse-Kanvae
10GB? Sounds pretty old... could be that the hard drive has knackered. If checking the cables doesn't work and you can get another Hard Drive try another Hard Drive.

Well, sadly, buying a new HD isn't in my budget ^_^ I have a bunch ancient harddrive (I use a 2 gb for it right now, with a 1 gb slave) so i guess im fine for now! ^_^
Thank all of you for your advice ^_^ I guess my "computer" is screwed! ^_^
If it -stopped- working, it's probably blitzed... A shame, because 10GB HDDs are very useful. =_=

Perfect Regular

Baskodecat
mrmadman

There is usually a primary channel and secondary channel. You connect your IDE cables to them; each channel can support two IDE disk drives.
mrmadman
Baskodecat
mrmadman

There is usually a primary channel and secondary channel. You connect your IDE cables to them; each channel can support two IDE disk drives.

Ooh, The IDE "channel" (go figure) doesnt work lol ^_^ its missing a pin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces