Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Explorer

heart
Hello all!
I am on a search for a good netbook for college. Will be mainly used to read powerpoint notes, some programming, and surfing internet (youtube, tumblr, pinterest etc). I need the ability to use an IDE for my cs classes. Some of my friends have suggested the acer aspire one. I'm debating whether I should get a new netbook, or slimmer laptop instead of lugging around my dell inspiron 15.
whee

Sparkly Explorer

Don't bump that soon, the CT is slow..
Have you used a Netbook before? They're rather small. I know this is kinda the point, but you may find working on them somewhat uncomfortable.

Universal Champion

14,475 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
What about a Chromebook? ninja

Familiar Explorer

I was a gifted a surface pro 3, which works perfect for me. It has a really nice stand for when I'm watching youtube, lays out flat tablet style for when I'm doin math homework, and is touch screen so I can easily poke the screen to jump into different lines in my code.

Fanatical Phantom

Just get a tablet and a stand/keyboard for it. That's way more convenient to lug around than a netbook, and it suits your needs for it. That's what I did.
I personally would still stick with a laptop rather than a smaller netbook especially if you are doing software development.

I personally use a microsoft ergonomic keyboard at home and a 13" macbook pro for software development when I am away, and the macbook pro still gives me occasional problems when hitting the wrong keys. There are plenty of lightweight laptops nowadays that weight isn't as big of a problem as it were before.

Also, if you are coding on a netbook, given that the screensize is pretty small, you may have problems reading the code or having your peers review your code. I would recommend just stick with a 14" or similar sized laptop and just focus on trying to get the lightest laptop weight you can get within your budget.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
Programming typically involves typing. The keyboard of a Netbook is too small for comfortable typing (unless you have exceptionally small hands).

Get a thin & light laptop or a tablet computer like the Surface. You will want a full-size keyboard.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff