Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lanackse-Kanvae
Aven Donn
Actually, a no CD crack isn't legal.

Some companies release their own no CD crack. The original Neverwinter Nights being one example. I have it installed and patched to 1.69 and I don't need any of the disks to play it.

Obviously if the actual company releases one, it's fine. But otherwise, they obviously don't want you to do it.

My stance is... If you bought the game, ******** their bullshit "You don't actually own it" spiel. Only digital industries get to get away with that kind of bullshit. To me, if I own the game, I have every right to pirate it. It's not really piracy if I own it, right?

Hallowed Lunatic

12,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Actually you buy the license to run the software. But yeah, I get what you're saying and I do agree with it. It's why I still play Neverwinter Nights more than most other games in my PC collection. I don't have to go CD hunting for it.
Aven Donn
Lanackse-Kanvae
Aven Donn
Actually, a no CD crack isn't legal.

Some companies release their own no CD crack. The original Neverwinter Nights being one example. I have it installed and patched to 1.69 and I don't need any of the disks to play it.

Obviously if the actual company releases one, it's fine. But otherwise, they obviously don't want you to do it.

My stance is... If you bought the game, ******** their bullshit "You don't actually own it" spiel. Only digital industries get to get away with that kind of bullshit. To me, if I own the game, I have every right to pirate it. It's not really piracy if I own it, right?

Wrong. That's the same legal dispute that's been dealt with in the ROM & emulator scene. When you own a game on CD or DVD, you have the right to make your own legal copy of it and keep it in instances where the CD/game media becomes too damaged to install or run. That means making your own digital copy... creating the ISO file from scratch, not downloading one. That ISO cannot legally be redistributed to friends or uploaded to the internet with or without the game license.

My opinion is completely different. It boils down to intention, honestly. If you're taking a game you purchased over to a friend's house to use your license key on their computer, there's no harm so long as the game is uninstalled afterward. If you're using your legal license with a downloaded copy, I don't see any harm in that, either. Contracts, EULAs, and TOS agreements are meant to cover asses. The publishers want to ensure that they can take action against known piracy attempts even if they can only prove minor infraction. The point isn't to catch and criminalize everybody who breaks EULAs and TOS agreements, but rather to ensure that they can catch the "big fish pirates" even if they don't have extensive evidence.

We just can't recommend or instruct anybody break piracy law here because it's against Gaia's TOS and you never really know when the mods are going to interject and say "BANNED! K-lined! Get OOOUUUTTT!".
Mega Vox
ENGLAND LOVES DEM SCONES
I'm just asking. God damn. Not my fault my laptop doesn't have a cd port.

Step 1: Buy the CD.
Step 2: USE another computer (friend's, families', whatever) to install it onto a thumb drive or external hard drive.
Step 3: Get a NO-CD Crack. Yes, these are legal.
Step 4: Download manually all the DLL files installing on a thumb drive will cause it to miss, a pain in the a** but should take no more than 10 minutes with google.
(Edit)Step 5: Transfer the files from the thumb drive/external hard drive to your computer. I don't suggest playing it off of the thumb drive/harddrive.

The whole deal should take you about an hour once all the material are gathered, it will be 100% legal, and you will be supporting the people you are enjoying a product from.

On a side note; all the trolling here makes me sad. If you don't have an answer, don't post.

Simpler and legal:

Step 1: Same.
Step 2: Use another computer to copy your disc to an ISO file.
Step 3: Install a "virtual" disc drive ala Daemon Tools on your computer
Step 4: Install and run your game from the ISO mounted in your virtual drive

Creating an ISO is akin to backing up your disc. Using any sort of crack is not legal as it bypasses the security measures put in place by the publisher by "cracking" their security measures.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff