Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Conversationalist

10,225 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • First step to fame 200
I've spent a few days looking for a decent laptop that can play a decent bit of games, hopefully on reduced settings, but I have the intense fear of the rising technology making the device obsolete in a few short years, sort of like the phone community tends to do at a high frequency.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834158576

That's literally the best I can come up with however, because of things like battery life and large space along with the sleek look and short price tag.

But I was told building a laptop was almost always less expensive. And I know the only quarrel I have with the above laptop. (To my knowledge) is the video card.

Please school me on this mess, shopping online for a pre built computer seems like a tease in most cases, because even the powerful pricey builds seem to deliberately miss something I would want.

One thing I hope to be able to compute here is the hpc or something like that. Whatever it is used to determine how fast a product cools off, or how hot it gets in general.

Thanks for any help guys!
it dose look like a decent computer for gaming however if you want to do 3d enviroment gaming i suggest you get a quad core prossecer as it is the best due to the high amount of dump it can take.

Wealthy Millionaire

8,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Millionaire 200
christianedson
it dose look like a decent computer for gaming however if you want to do 3d enviroment gaming i suggest you get a quad core prossecer as it is the best due to the high amount of dump it can take.

That is a quad core processor. <.<

Also, I don't know what the OP's budget is, but if you want a gaming laptop, I suggest the Razerblade. It has an intel Core i7 Extreme, which is a Hexacore processor.

As for my personal opinion, if you're good with technology, don't get a gaming laptop. I have a standard $400 Toshiba Satellite, with an intel Core i3 2310M processor, Intel HD graphics family, and 3GB DDR3 Ram, (with 64MB shared video RAM)

I am able to run every game I've ever downloaded at the highest quality settings that my computer supports. (a 720p native resolution.) If you go with a standard i5 or i7, with around 8GB of RAM, and a solid state drive, you've got yourself an all purpose, lightweight laptop that will play any game you install on it. 3nodding

Shirtless Giver

The most popular gaming laptops are from Alienware: http://www.alienware.com/ although they are not what I would call portable.

I highly suggest Razer Blade but it costs quite a lot: http://www.razerzone.com/blade about the same price range as the MacBook Pro with the Retina display: http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

smile

10,225 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • First step to fame 200
Eye Laws Dug Aim
christianedson

That is a quad core processor. <.<

Also, I don't know what the OP's budget is, but if you want a gaming laptop, I suggest the Razerblade. It has an intel Core i7 Extreme, which is a Hexacore processor.

As for my personal opinion, if you're good with technology, don't get a gaming laptop. I have a standard $400 Toshiba Satellite, with an intel Core i3 2310M processor, Intel HD graphics family, and 3GB DDR3 Ram, (with 64MB shared video RAM)

I am able to run every game I've ever downloaded at the highest quality settings that my computer supports. (a 720p native resolution.) If you go with a standard i5 or i7, with around 8GB of RAM, and a solid state drive, you've got yourself an all purpose, lightweight laptop that will play any game you install on it. 3nodding

So is this laptop enough to do that? (Aside from the solid state of course:/. ) or is that hd graphics family thingy gold?

I know my friend said his laptop could play oblivion at full if it was in HD mode. And he said this one was supposedly better.

I looked at the razerblade, it's cool but its expensive for unanswered innovation. Having one touch app access is great, but for 3k I'd probably just go for a real computer.

Wealthy Millionaire

8,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Millionaire 200
Xedhadeaus

For PC Gamers, Intel HD Graphics is the epitome of horrible. I'm sure you're familiar with the terms, integrated and dedicated graphics?

Inegrated graphics tend to be slower, and not as responsive as dedicated graphics, because they share the main RAM your computer has. Dedicated graphics have their own set, and can respond faster, causing less lag.

My computer has Intel HD graphics, which are integrated. However, because I've made my computer run on only 400-600MB of RAM, I can allocate a lot more RAM to my graphics, and as a result, I can play high quality games seamlessly.

10,225 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • First step to fame 200
Eye Laws Dug Aim
Xedhadeaus

For PC Gamers, Intel HD Graphics is the epitome of horrible. I'm sure you're familiar with the terms, integrated and dedicated graphics?

Inegrated graphics tend to be slower, and not as responsive as dedicated graphics, because they share the main RAM your computer has. Dedicated graphics have their own set, and can respond faster, causing less lag.

My computer has Intel HD graphics, which are integrated. However, because I've made my computer run on only 400-600MB of RAM, I can allocate a lot more RAM to my graphics, and as a result, I can play high quality games seamlessly.

Can I do this on a computer like that?

And I wasn't familiar with the term until now lol. I just know ram is usually the blessing or the curse in most scenarios.

But in the way you're using it, wouldn't that make dedicated graphics a worse alternative in most cases? I mean I've only seen 2 or 4 gb video ram if that's the same thing.

Wealthy Millionaire

8,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Millionaire 200
Xedhadeaus

It depends on how you look at it. If you can do everything that you can with dedicated, but with an integrated card (it's also usually built into the motherboard, versus a separate GPU), all you're doing by getting dedicated, is spending money you don't need to.

2 or 4 GB of video ram is a HUGE increase over a 64MB shared. (2GB = 2048MB) But again, when you have the integrated, you can pull unused ram for use with your game. If you've got like 8GB of standard DDR3, you should have absolutely no problem.

Wealthy Millionaire

8,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Millionaire 200
muhaymin

I would say Alienware is only popular because of the fact it's popular.

Kind of sounds redundant, but what I mean is they were good once, and somehow they were so popular, they kept their momentum. They're crap computers that are overpriced, and based on their looks. I've also heard their customer service is poor as well.

But as for your Razer Blade recommendation, I'm with you. 3nodding

I like the look of it, the fact that it's the only stock computer (that I'm aware of) that includes a hexacore processor, and the touch keyboard display looks insane. emotion_drool

10,225 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • First step to fame 200
Eye Laws Dug Aim
Xedhadeaus

It depends on how you look at it. If you can do everything that you can with dedicated, but with an integrated card (it's also usually built into the motherboard, versus a separate GPU), all you're doing by getting dedicated, is spending money you don't need to.

2 or 4 GB of video ram is a HUGE increase over a 64MB shared. (2GB = 2048MB) But again, when you have the integrated, you can pull unused ram for use with your game. If you've got like 8GB of standard DDR3, you should have absolutely no problem.

This is great news, thanks so much.

Wealthy Millionaire

8,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Millionaire 200
Xedhadeaus

No problem! This is where I specialize in computers. I'm currently in the process of opening a business buying and selling computers, and I'll be doing this kind of thing a lot.

Best of luck! 3nodding
Eye Laws Dug Aim
Xedhadeaus

No problem! This is where I specialize in computers. I'm currently in the process of opening a business buying and selling computers, and I'll be doing this kind of thing a lot.

Best of luck! 3nodding

I hope you know RAM =/= Performance.

Wealthy Millionaire

8,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Millionaire 200
Disconsented

I do know. But graphics does have a lot to do with ram.
Eye Laws Dug Aim
Disconsented

I do know. But graphics does have a lot to do with ram.

Like?

Wealthy Millionaire

8,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Millionaire 200
Disconsented

Like the fact that with an Intel Based CPU with hyperthreading capabilities take unused RAM for use with graphics when there isn't enough dedicated. You need this ram to be able to process the video information, and be able to display it. The higher quality graphics, the more information there is, and the faster the information needs to be processed in order to show correctly.

EDIT: Video is essentially a super fast slideshow of high resolution pictures, which is why we measure games anything video really in frames per second. 30 frames per second means we are viewing 30 different pictures in the span of 1 second. How much information do you think that is? A LOT!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff