Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Shapeshifter

11,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Okay, well I spazzed out, I cried, I flipped tables, and I've checked Google, I need some help! You see, I'm taking a game design class this semester and we're starting with board games. We have to do the art all by ourselves and stuff, so during the whole time I've been saving my pictures and stuff on my flash drive. The project is due in 1-2 weeks (I never understood the schedule) and I'm a little behind.

Anyway, I've been working on it for the past two weeks and I was going to continue doing so, but for some reason it doesn't appear on my computer. I didn't even notice until I opened Photoshop and when I clicked the drive, it was empty. I checked the Computer page and it wasn't listed. I tooked on the bottom right of my screen and it wasn't there.

Of course, I asked my friend but he didn't really help. Next I went on Google. I learned some things but none of them helped me. I've tried changing the Drive and whatever (to K, F, Y, Z, and some others) and I've uninstalled the drive from my computer but that didn't work either.

I swear it was working fine all day, I've been using to do my project before class and during a class. I admit, rarely I'd forget to press the eject button, but it was working fine in class (40minutes before I tried it on my computer). Only problem was that when I was in class, my teacher was talking to me, after the computer didn't read it anymore, but I figured it was normal because my PNY flash drive doesn't have that top layer. (Like how must flash drives have that cover? mine doesn't, but that shouldn't matter.) Anyway, my friend just pulled it out and put it back in and it was fine, so I thought it was okay.

After, I was leaving for class, the computer was already shut off, so I pulled it out put it in my bag and left. That's all that happened.

---

Sum it up.

My laptop can't read my flashdrive.
I tried it on my sister's laptop and it doesn't work.
I've tried changing the Path and Drive.
I've tried uninstalling the flashdrive from my computer.

Yes I've checked on Google.

When I check the manger thingie, it reads:
Disk 1
Removable (E: )

No Media.

And if it matters. It's a PNY, 8GB flashdrive.

Please help me!!
Flash drive is dead.

Dangerous Shapeshifter

11,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Disconsented
Flash drive is dead.

Because this is the Computers and Technology thread, can you tell me how you came to this conclusion? I'm not sayin' I don't believe it ('cause it's the only thing I can think of now) but can I ask how you know?
Because it was literally working fine 40 minutes ago.
Miss Devichi
Disconsented
Flash drive is dead.

Because this is the Computers and Technology thread, can you tell me how you came to this conclusion? I'm not sayin' I don't believe it ('cause it's the only thing I can think of now) but can I ask how you know?

1) It doesn't work indicating a problem with the computer or a flash drive.
2) On a separate machine it doesn't work ruling out the first computer.
All I am left with is the flash drive being at fault.

Dangerous Shapeshifter

11,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Disconsented
Miss Devichi
Disconsented
Flash drive is dead.

Welp, looks like I'm going to fail the class 'cause that project is half the class as it is.
You wouldn't have an idea why/how it'd be dead? Since I literally used it 40 minutes ago on another computer and about 4hrs ago on my laptop.
Miss Devichi
Disconsented
Miss Devichi
Disconsented
Flash drive is dead.

Welp, looks like I'm going to fail the class 'cause that project is half the class as it is.
You wouldn't have an idea why/how it'd be dead? Since I literally used it 40 minutes ago on another computer and about 4hrs ago on my laptop.

With the information I have, there isn't much more I can do to help but what I can say is that when electronics are failing they don't always show it, it just gets to a point where they die.

Dangerous Shapeshifter

11,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Disconsented
With the information I have, there isn't much more I can do to help but what I can say is that when electronics are failing they don't always show it, it just gets to a point where they die.

A horrible time to die if you ask me. = ^=
But it's not all that old either. I got it... only about two years ago, and it's not like it's barely used. Since this school year started, it's one of my most used utensils.
Anyway, thanks for confirming what I thought. :U
Miss Devichi
Disconsented

A horrible time to die if you ask me. = ^=
But it's not all that old either. I got it... only about two years ago, and it's not like it's barely used. Since this school year started, it's one of my most used utensils.
Anyway, thanks for confirming what I thought. :U

The best thing to do would be to talk to your teacher about the problem and get a new flash drive preferably from a more recognizable brand.

Dangerous Shapeshifter

11,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Disconsented
The best thing to do would be to talk to your teacher about the problem and get a new flash drive preferably from a more recognizable brand.

Lol, I did I'm just scared of the reply.;;
And you don't think PNY is recognizable? D:
Miss Devichi
Disconsented

I have never heard of them.
Disconsented
Miss Devichi
Disconsented

I have never heard of them.
You haven't heard of any major company. You really need to expose yourself more to the market. PNY has been a major player for several years now.
Miss Devichi
It happens.

Low-quality parts (which are hard to weed out), electrical damage (which can be caused by any of your computers, and it's almost impossible to trace), or a poor design can all result in the sudden failure of these flash drives.

It happens. You should always have a backup.

Dangerous Shapeshifter

11,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Person of Interest 200
psychic stalker
It happens.

Low-quality parts (which are hard to weed out), electrical damage (which can be caused by any of your computers, and it's almost impossible to trace), or a poor design can all result in the sudden failure of these flash drives.

The website were we upload our games was going to be my backup but I wasn't finished enough to upload 'em... ; w;
Yeah... but my crummy computer is slow and it'd take forever to keep updating my project on it. Ho hum. ; ^;

Timid Trader

4,050 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Bidding War 100

AutumnWolfgirl's Husband

Friendly Phantom

Miss Devichi
psychic stalker
It happens.

The website were we upload our games was going to be my backup but I wasn't finished enough to upload 'em... ; w;
Yeah... but my crummy computer is slow and it'd take forever to keep updating my project on it. Ho hum. ; ^;

You should always be "finished enough" to upload them. You should always keep a second(or third) backup for every step of the way. Say you're working on something one day...you get to a point you are going to quit for the day; at that point you save it to no less than two different locations.

As for the original problem...you said it was working on a school computer and now you can't use it on your computers at home...
Perhaps try plugging it back into the very same computer it was working on at your school. It might not work, but it's worth a shot at this point. I've had flash drives fail like this too...working on one computer, take it out, try it on another computer or two and it won't recognize it. I'd get frustrated and then try it on the last computer it was working on and then suddenly it works again.

Dangerous Shapeshifter

11,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Saruwatari Kooji
You should always be "finished enough" to upload them. You should always keep a second(or third) backup for every step of the way. Say you're working on something one day...you get to a point you are going to quit for the day; at that point you save it to no less than two different locations.

As for the original problem...you said it was working on a school computer and now you can't use it on your computers at home...
Perhaps try plugging it back into the very same computer it was working on at your school. It might not work, but it's worth a shot at this point. I've had flash drives fail like this too...working on one computer, take it out, try it on another computer or two and it won't recognize it. I'd get frustrated and then try it on the last computer it was working on and then suddenly it works again.

Sorry, but you don't know project to just say it "should always be finished enough." One, it'd be in jpg or png, so I wouldn't be able to change it, two the change the file after thing is added is annoying. And yeah, I should've, been my laptop is already so flippin' slow, I wasn't going to wait half a day just to update everything every time I have to change every little change (I have OCD, so I get paranoid when I make a card like before but believe a little thing is off.)

I thought about trying that, but I believe the lab for that computer is closed today and it did work on my laptop earlier that day too (just before class). I mean, even if I do get it to work at school, I wouldn't be able to do anything about it. No spare flashdrive and I can't reach my email from the Macs at school (because those are the only computer I can get to today).

Anyway, only one class was... totally ruined, everything else was just... "Oh no.. lost records." Ho hum.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff