Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
I'm doing some penetration testing of my home network and have some questions.

Are there any tips for cracking WPA/WPA2 passkeys? I really want to break into my network because I know there are people that can do it.

Running BackTrack 5 from my desktop which is rather far from the router (its a big house). I can get the MAC address and IP and then run Reaver (I can't waste the data to DL a good dictionary file) but the signal strength causes an error. I don't want to just move the router because I know one of the neighbors is a hacker, and moving it would get it closer to him.

Any ideas?
ethical or no, we can't help you because the intentions of others can not be verified. Sorry.
Bento the spazcat
ethical or no, we can't help you because the intentions of others can not be verified. Sorry.

We wouldn't help a lot of people with that attitude...
Aven Donn
Bento the spazcat

Do not ask how to bypass a systems security
- Methods of circumventing security settings or protection without authorization, such as bypassing school web filters, hacking or cracking are also illegal.

To reinforce what bento said.
Disconsented
Aven Donn
Bento the spazcat

Do not ask how to bypass a systems security
- Methods of circumventing security settings or protection without authorization, such as bypassing school web filters, hacking or cracking are also illegal.

To reinforce what bento said.

Fine, I concede.

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
Wow. Honestly? Its funny how there are entire websites that teach people to hack. Not to mention books. Guess I'll consult those resources.

Seriously, why did any of you reply then? I didn't ask for a digital slap on the wrist.
Doofi3
Wow. Honestly? Its funny how there are entire websites that teach people to hack. Not to mention books. Guess I'll consult those resources.

Seriously, why did any of you reply then? I didn't ask for a digital slap on the wrist.

...because the way you wrote the post makes it sound like your intentions aren't honest. If you knew enough about wifi networks and you really are just testing it with your own router, you could set up MAC address restrictions and remove SSID broadcast before you moved the router.
GrimFusion
Doofi3

...because the way you wrote the post makes it sound like your intentions aren't honest. If you knew enough about wifi networks and you really are just testing it with your own router, you could set up MAC address restrictions and remove SSID broadcast before you moved the router.

MAC address filtering is extremely easy to bypass. Just saying. It's really not an effective method of keeping others off your network.

That said, there are some simplistic free resources out there that can get you started, sure. But ethical hacking is a full fledged industry at this point, and the experts of the trade charge a lot of money for you to obtain their knowledge. It helps keep out the riffraff and such.
Minion4Hire
GrimFusion
Doofi3

MAC address filtering is extremely easy to bypass. Just saying. It's really not an effective method of keeping others off your network.

That said, there are some simplistic free resources out there that can get you started, sure. But ethical hacking is a full fledged industry at this point, and the experts of the trade charge a lot of money for you to obtain their knowledge. It helps keep out the riffraff and such.

You're completely right, but it's not real likely that his neighbor is going to actively try to hack his wifi connection if he can't see a displayed SSID, can't get remote access to the router, and can't authenticate by MAC address easily. It doesn't make the connection unhackable by any means, but it's less than likely he'd want to bother with it at that point. You could take things a few steps further and change telnet and SSH admin passwords and change the gateway IP. Stupid simple and not effective against determined and seasoned security analysts, obviously... but they should prevent the script kiddie next door from being a nuisance.
Doofi3

To stop anyone else from trying to help, thus getting you banned in the process. We're looking out for ya :3

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
Bento the spazcat
Doofi3

To stop anyone else from trying to help, thus getting you banned in the process. We're looking out for ya :3

Well, I do appreciate that. Still, I wasn't really intending to ask for a specific solution. Simply a point in the right direction. Which I now have.

Oh, and I am aware that ethical hacking is quite an industry. However, I pride myself on being able to learn just about anything more or less on my own with a bit of guidance from others. So, rhank you for your concern, but these warnings aren't going to keep me from learning how to be a "white hat."

In any event, there are better places than gaia to ask this question. Thanks again.

-P.S. I love your avatar art and your username Bento.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff