Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
I had been dealing with email spoofing for like two years now. Is there anyway to stop it because this is seriously annoying me getting messages that look like they come from friends but they do not. Also how this spoofing even start. I use an email gmail with 2 step login back up email.Most they go into to spam but just had a recent that came straight to my image did not open just delete because I did not know the person.

Aged Lunatic

Email spoofing from people you know or don't know? There's a big difference. Chances of spoofing coming from emails of people you actually know is unlikely, more than likely their email has been breached (2FA [Two Factor authentication] has nothing to do with spam or preventing it, it simply gives you added protection against your account being compromised) and is now being used to send out spam.

As for email being spoofed from people you don't know, there's very little you can do about that using most major mail providers, they try to handle it as they can on their end using spamfilters and stuff and pattern matching but stuff will very frequently get through.

About the only strongest control you're going to have is maintaining your own email (which is kind of very technical-heavy experience required) and/or utilizing an email filtering service (something like GreenViewData, though they're more small-business and up as they have a minimum mailbox count).

Main other option I can think of suggesting is using a local email client (such as Thunderbird) with some kind of good anti-spam addon that might filter things out locally better than Gmail does on their end.

Friendly Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Synapt
Email spoofing from people you know or don't know? There's a big difference. Chances of spoofing coming from emails of people you actually know is unlikely, more than likely their email has been breached (2FA [Two Factor authentication] has nothing to do with spam or preventing it, it simply gives you added protection against your account being compromised) and is now being used to send out spam.

As for email being spoofed from people you don't know, there's very little you can do about that using most major mail providers, they try to handle it as they can on their end using spamfilters and stuff and pattern matching but stuff will very frequently get through.

About the only strongest control you're going to have is maintaining your own email (which is kind of very technical-heavy experience required) and/or utilizing an email filtering service (something like GreenViewData, though they're more small-business and up as they have a minimum mailbox count).

Main other option I can think of suggesting is using a local email client (such as Thunderbird) with some kind of good anti-spam addon that might filter things out locally better than Gmail does on their end.

So I can use the thunderbird addon with gmail in a way? If I cannot its fine I have so many sites and things connected to the email I do not want to abandon it.

Aged Lunatic

Gothic Lolita Angel
So I can use the thunderbird addon with gmail in a way? If I cannot its fine I have so many sites and things connected to the email I do not want to abandon it.

You can indeed utilize Thunderbird to fetch and even send mail with Gmail;
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-gmail

You can probably ignore the warning at the top of the page though about 'Newer' accounts not working (I just had to create a gmail account for a new client of mine back in december and have had no issues with using my older Thunderbird).

Unfortunately though the one addon I used to see used a lot for thunderbird with anti-spam stuff, looks like the author removed it unfortunately.

But at the very least thunderbird has it's own general anti-spam filter so it might even automatically detect and spam-folder natively.

All in all the only sure fire method you might have of near completely protecting yourself against spam is actually purchasing a literal anti-spam service to act in the middle, but I'm not sure of any that work at the individual/non-business level unfortunately :/

Beyond that spam is an unfortunate nature of email.

Lonely Demigod

12,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Synapt
You can probably ignore the warning at the top of the page though about 'Newer' accounts not working (I just had to create a gmail account for a new client of mine back in december and have had no issues with using my older Thunderbird)..

Actually, it may have been a certain time period that google was changing how newer accounts, worked, because I have several email addresses, and the one that was around the time period that mozilla stated (the email for this account) does not work, while my others do. sad Makes things annoying, tbh.

Aged Lunatic

Sight Ninja
Actually, it may have been a certain time period that google was changing how newer accounts, worked, because I have several email addresses, and the one that was around the time period that mozilla stated (the email for this account) does not work, while my others do. sad Makes things annoying, tbh.

Strange. Well you can technically disable 2FA in google's settings, which should technically allow thunderbird to work again with those accounts.

Lonely Demigod

12,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Synapt
Sight Ninja

Strange. Well you can technically disable 2FA in google's settings, which should technically allow thunderbird to work again with those accounts.

did not know this. redface

Aged Lunatic

Sight Ninja

*cough*

>.>

Lonely Demigod

12,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Synapt
Sight Ninja

*cough*

>.>

didn't look into it, tbh. This email address isn't too important but thx

<.<

Friendly Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Synapt
Gothic Lolita Angel

You can indeed utilize Thunderbird to fetch and even send mail with Gmail;
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-gmail

You can probably ignore the warning at the top of the page though about 'Newer' accounts not working (I just had to create a gmail account for a new client of mine back in december and have had no issues with using my older Thunderbird).

Unfortunately though the one addon I used to see used a lot for thunderbird with anti-spam stuff, looks like the author removed it unfortunately.

But at the very least thunderbird has it's own general anti-spam filter so it might even automatically detect and spam-folder natively.

All in all the only sure fire method you might have of near completely protecting yourself against spam is actually purchasing a literal anti-spam service to act in the middle, but I'm not sure of any that work at the individual/non-business level unfortunately :/

Beyond that spam is an unfortunate nature of email.

I should have stated this earlier but I no longer use Firefox as much. Google Chrome is my main browser of choice. Is there a way I can use it with Chrome?

Aged Lunatic

Gothic Lolita Angel
I should have stated this earlier but I no longer use Firefox as much. Google Chrome is my main browser of choice. Is there a way I can use it with Chrome?

Thunderbird is completely different, the only relation it has to Firefox is the fact it's made by mozilla, it has no connection to Firefox nor Chrome otherwise, it's a stand-alone email client.

Friendly Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Okay I have it completely installed and using it now. This will now help prevent anymore spoofing emails right?

Aged Lunatic

Gothic Lolita Angel
Okay I have it completely installed and using it now. This will now help prevent anymore spoofing emails right?

Well as I noted previously, spoofing is by all intents a nature of email, even if you used a paid filtering service, they're still only 99.9% effective against completely random spam, if they're coming from people you know then they're more likely to get past because applications like thunderbird and Gmail have heuristics that go "Hey this person has exchanged emails with this individual before, so chances are this isn't spam" and will let it through, in those cases you need to contact your friend and let them know their account has been likely compromised and is now being used to send spam.

But otherwise thunderbird should add an extra layer of spam detection, and it 'evolves' as you mark items as spam as well (as in it'll learn the patterns and start to understand to automatically spam them if they should get past the spam detection first).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff