Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sexy Goat

30,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
So I was adding family photos to a DVD R that was almost full, but had enough space for all 73 photos. I burned them on like I did many times before and it went well. I put the DVD back in to find that all of the previous content "disappeared" and the new content was the only thing on the disk. When I looked at the available space, it was nearly stuffed. Is there a way I could view those files? These photos were never stored elsewhere...

The computer used for the deed was a Windows Vista 64-bit.

Edit: The DVD was viewed on my younger sister's Windows 7 and my Windows 8.1. The new images were the only visible ones.

Cold Creature

Based on what you stated, it sounds like the old ones are overwritten by the new ones.
I'm not sure about this, but maybe some kind of DVD recovery/Data recovery software is needed to get back those old files.
Google is probably helpful than me from this point.
Mathew Mii
So I was adding family photos to a DVD R that was almost full, but had enough space for all 73 photos. I burned them on like I did many times before and it went well. I put the DVD back in to find that all of the previous content "disappeared" and the new content was the only thing on the disk. When I looked at the available space, it was nearly stuffed. Is there a way I could view those files? These photos were never stored elsewhere...

The computer used for the deed was a Windows Vista 64-bit.

Edit: The DVD was viewed on my younger sister's Windows 7 and my Windows 8.1. The new images were the only visible ones.

Yup, your burner just overwritten the files, and the memory from the old was burned already, so it will say that the space is used, but it is indeed, static.

Divine Whisperer

31,725 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I would think the files would still be there, but the dvd was 'mastered' as a single track. I don't know what you'd need to do to burn it as multi-track, maybe tell windows not to master it the first time and then only do it after you're done.
Anyway you may be able to recover your photos with imgburn. If not just plain imgburn, try opening the iso with another program, like winrar/7zip. If that doesn't work you may have to manually extract them from the image using a hex editor like HxD.
But then that's assuming that imgburn reads the whole thing to begin with.
I've never had to recover from a mistake like this, but I'd think there'd be SOME software that could do it...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff