Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ok, the situation is that my host offers Frontpage free with the hosting package. Now Dreamweaver is vastly better, but also a bit costly (a bit = 900ish for full package with all the nifty add-ons). So should I accept using Frontpage or pay the cash for Dreamweaver?
I know I did not mention site size, explected traffic or anything of the sort. I'm seeking a more general response that will effectivly apply to several different site styles/sizes.
Uh, I'd say DreamWeaver is better. Though, most of that is because I dislike Microsoft. I haven't had a chance to mess with DreamWeaver for more than like, ten seconds.
Are you sure they offer Frontpage and not Frontpage extensions? This is a pretty major difference wink

I _much_ prefer Dreamweaver, but if you are offered Frontpage free, by all means take it and try it, if you don't like it, sell it.
Dreamweaver is good, but you need to watch the code for quality. Frontpage makes horribly redundant code, don't go there unless you want headaches. The best way to do it is write your own code, but if you need a WYSIWYG editor, I highly recommend Dreamweaver.
Foolish
Are you sure they offer Frontpage and not Frontpage extensions? This is a pretty major difference wink

I _much_ prefer Dreamweaver, but if you are offered Frontpage free, by all means take it and try it, if you don't like it, sell it.

I checked and it is Frontpage, and I suppose I will give it a shot.
michmash80
Dreamweaver is good, but you need to watch the code for quality. Frontpage makes horribly redundant code, don't go there unless you want headaches. The best way to do it is write your own code, but if you need a WYSIWYG editor, I highly recommend Dreamweaver.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have written a few pages all on notepad or such, but it sometimes seems horribly redundant to me (I am not the most patient of people). Well I'll give Frontpage a try as its free, but if it doesn't impress me I'm going Dreamweaver.
Maha the Wizard
michmash80

Thanks for the suggestion. I have written a few pages all on notepad or such, but it sometimes seems horribly redundant to me (I am not the most patient of people). Well I'll give Frontpage a try as its free, but if it doesn't impress me I'm going Dreamweaver.

Macromedia offers a week or two trial on all their stuff, so you can also give Dreamweaver et al a try at the same time. Whichever way you go, the more you let the editor do for you, the worse your code will turn out. Spend some time getting HTML and CSS and whatever else you plan to use down, and only use the WYSIWYG portion for previews and the like. It will make your product that much better.
are you sure that they aren't just saying that they are offering frontpage extention free?
Ah I was wondering about that, as my friend had told me there was not a way to trial Dreamweaver. As for the coding itself I am not taking classes in that area, so hopefully I will be up to par in the near future. Again thank you for your help in this matter.
Evinta
are you sure that they aren't just saying that they are offering frontpage extention free?

Yes, I called and asked customer service, as well as sent an email regarding it.
Maha the Wizard
Ah I was wondering about that, as my friend had told me there was not a way to trial Dreamweaver. As for the coding itself I am not taking classes in that area, so hopefully I will be up to par in the near future. Again thank you for your help in this matter.

It is right on macromedia.com, HERE the 'try' links will allow you a free trial (fully functional, no stripping) for a couple weeks.
Foolish
Maha the Wizard

It is right on macromedia.com, HERE the 'try' links will allow you a free trial (fully functional, no stripping) for a couple weeks.

Got it! Thanks yet again.
Cash out for DreamWeaver, and it has cleaner interface and smoother controls that are easier to navigate, and there is alot more you can do with DreamWeaver then you can with FrontPage.
I seriously doubt your host is going to give you Frontpage....I own a webhosting company and we give Frontpage Extensions but most definately not Frontpage....

As for my personal choice - DREAMWEAVER!!! I dont like frontpage. I love dreamweaver though....

Dapper Gaian

1,225 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Gaian 50
I don't really think it's worth the money, but dreamweaver just CANNOT be compared to frontpage.. frontpage is an abomination of a program, nevermind one meant to design websites/pages.. While dreamweaver creates dirty code, nobody said you couldn't make it by hand and just use dreamweaver as an expensive text editor (with previewing!) -- of course when I get lazy I use it's table drawing but hey.. not everyone's perfect wink

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff