Welcome to Gaia! ::

Alright, the thing is, is that I'm creating a dictionary/encyclopedia for my websites containg the words and their meanings. I'm trying to create the A B C list up top and have them all "hyperlink" to their respective A B C parts along the page. I've tried to do just about everything I know but they never work correctly because none of the things I've tried to the jump/link to thing I'm trying to get. Please help and thank you.

-- Panther
Panther Nightwind
Alright, the thing is, is that I'm creating a dictionary/encyclopedia for my websites containg the words and their meanings. I'm trying to create the A B C list up top and have them all "hyperlink" to their respective A B C parts along the page. I've tried to do just about everything I know but they never work correctly because none of the things I've tried to the jump/link to thing I'm trying to get. Please help and thank you.

-- Panther

Look on HTMLGoodies.com, they'll offer a lot of help, including this.
for the links, you want something like <a href="#lettera">A> etc.
for the entries, you want <a name="lettera"></a>A aardvark armadillo, etc.

keep in mind that if the thing you're jumping to is already in the window, it won't scroll the entry to the top. if you want that to happen, you'll need to figure out some other way to display your entries.
Ichigo815
Panther Nightwind

-- Panther

Look on HTMLGoodies.com, they'll offer a lot of help, including this.

Thank You ^_^

-- Panther
ScareTrolfey
for the links, you want something like <a href="#lettera">A> etc.
for the entries, you want <a name="lettera"></a>A aardvark armadillo, etc.

keep in mind that if the thing you're jumping to is already in the window, it won't scroll the entry to the top. if you want that to happen, you'll need to figure out some other way to display your entries.

Well, what I'm trying to do is to do this:

A B C D.....

A

ardvaark

B

Bats

C

Cats............and so forth and have the list above jump to the a's b's and c's down below.
the <a> tag stands for anchored link, and there are several different types, including "name" and "href" you will want to use both of these...

To make the named anchors on your page use this form of the 'a' tag

<a name="a">A</a>
Aardvark
<a name="b">B</a>
Blah...

and then link with

<a href="a">link to A</a>
<a href="b">link to B</a>

You don't need the octothorpe (#) in the hrefs, but if you linking to the anchor externally the link will be "www.blah.com/dictionary.html#anchor"
Thanx a bunch Foolish, and once again you come to my aid sweatdrop

-- Panther

p.s. reminder to self.....stop waiting for the courts to deal with the stupid fine that shouldn't have taken place and pay the damn thing because it just means that teh college doesn't want you coming to them for courses.
Panther Nightwind
Thanx a bunch Foolish, and once again you come to my aid sweatdrop

-- Panther

p.s. reminder to self.....stop waiting for the courts to deal with the stupid fine that shouldn't have taken place and pay the damn thing because it just means that teh college doesn't want you coming to them for courses.

My pleasure, anytime. foolish.karma++;
Alright, after I did all the coding and uploaded then checked it out to see if it worked.....it didn't. xp heres the link though...maybe I inputted something wrong. http://panther.atspace.com/Magickal_Terms.htm
gaia's double posting me again domokun
AH! I have lead you astray, your hrefs do need to be in the form a href="#link", lo siento.
Foolish
AH! I have lead you astray, your hrefs do need to be in the form a href="#link", lo siento.

stare Panther glomps you and than promptly thanks you for your misguided help heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff