Welcome to Gaia! ::

YugureMuffin's Princess

Shy Snowflake

13,600 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
So as a gift, my dad gave my mom some money so she could buy me a laptop from Wal-Mart. However, all the laptops had Windows 8 pre-installed. I thought nothing of it at first, until I realized that I couldn't play the Sims 2 on it, as it's not compatible. I was upset (I still am), but I moved on. However, there's a game I really want, but there's a high chance it's not compatible with Windows 8. Is there a way I can downgrade to Windows 7 (preferably Home Premium)? I understand I don't have downgrade rights, since that's only for Windows 8 Pro users, but I've read on multiple websites that Windows 8 Standard users can still downgrade if they purchase a license key. Please help. sad
Angelliya
So as a gift, my dad gave my mom some money so she could buy me a laptop from Wal-Mart. However, all the laptops had Windows 8 pre-installed. I thought nothing of it at first, until I realized that I couldn't play the Sims 2 on it, as it's not compatible. I was upset (I still am), but I moved on. However, there's a game I really want, but there's a high chance it's not compatible with Windows 8. Is there a way I can downgrade to Windows 7 (preferably Home Premium)? I understand I don't have downgrade rights, since that's only for Windows 8 Pro users, but I've read on multiple websites that Windows 8 Standard users can still downgrade if they purchase a license key. Please help. sad

Theoretically you could do a clean install of any Windows operating system given that you have the license keys for that software. A full license for Windows 7 Home Premium costs $100. There is a fair argument to be had on reformatting a Windows 8 machine to install Windows 7 because of Windows 8's navigation and user interface.

That being said, I have full confidence that you should be able to play The Sims 2 on your Windows 8 laptop. The framework is incredibly similar and there are very few games that will not work without a few tweaks. For example, if you're trying to install The Sims 2 using some discs, then take a look at this tutorial on how to get that working. Otherwise, I highly recommend writing the error message you get in google and seeing what the potential solutions might be.

If you'd like, you could copy your error message here and I can try to find a solution for you.

YugureMuffin's Princess

Shy Snowflake

13,600 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Absinthe and Ink
Angelliya

Theoretically you could do a clean install of any Windows operating system given that you have the license keys for that software. A full license for Windows 7 Home Premium costs $100. There is a fair argument to be had on reformatting a Windows 8 machine to install Windows 7 because of Windows 8's navigation and user interface.

That being said, I have full confidence that you should be able to play The Sims 2 on your Windows 8 laptop. The framework is incredibly similar and there are very few games that will not work without a few tweaks. For example, if you're trying to install The Sims 2 using some discs, then take a look at this tutorial on how to get that working. Otherwise, I highly recommend writing the error message you get in google and seeing what the potential solutions might be.

If you'd like, you could copy your error message here and I can try to find a solution for you.
Thank you! ;u;
I can try out the link when I have some time. surprised
If I remember correctly, I don't get an error message.
When I go to create a sim, it just crashes.
I've tried changing the compatibility and re-installing, but no luck. :/
Angelliya
Absinthe and Ink
Angelliya

Thank you! ;u;
I can try out the link when I have some time. surprised
If I remember correctly, I don't get an error message.
When I go to create a sim, it just crashes.
I've tried changing the compatibility and re-installing, but no luck. :/

The common terminology for this situation is called "crash to desktop". If you do a search using that phrase and some other key words (like "sims 2 crash to desktop" or "create sim crash to desktop" wink then you should find some results.

In fact, I found this thread that offers some solutions for Sims 2 crashing to desktop on Windows 8. Hope that helps!

Sims 2 is great wink

YugureMuffin's Princess

Shy Snowflake

13,600 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Absinthe and Ink
The common terminology for this situation is called "crash to desktop". If you do a search using that phrase and some other key words (like "sims 2 crash to desktop" or "create sim crash to desktop" wink then you should find some results.

In fact, I found this thread that offers some solutions for Sims 2 crashing to desktop on Windows 8. Hope that helps!

Sims 2 is great wink
I shall try this as well. surprised
Thank you so much~ whee
And I agree. Sims 2 is my favorite. :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items