Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
GrimFusion
Aven Donn
Sir Hao
I agree, you'll get compatibility issues with Mac with some games. Though, mac computers are less prone to get viruses.

Hello. I haven't had a virus since... 2006. Meanwhile my friends on Macs are asking me for help to remove malware. Malware exists for everything. Oh did I mention I've been using Windows my entire life? Pretty much all virus infections can be traced back to the actions of the user. Just a bit of basic precaution will save you from 99.9% of all viruses. Not to mention a competent anti-virus.

As for the OP's question... Yes. Macs make great gaming PCs, if you install Windows. Thing is, you'd be paying over twice as much for the parts. For the same money, you could build a serious top tier gaming rig. Meanwhile you'll get a mediocre mainstream-hardware Mac for the same money.

I second this, but would add that as a personal opinion, I don't suggest buying any kind of laptop for gaming unless you make enough money to buy a new laptop every three to four years to keep up with brand new game releases. With a desktop, the power supply and graphics card can be swapped out and upgraded every few years. Assuming you aren't buying the best and newest-to-market beastly graphics card but settle for something a little more middle-of-the-road but capable, upgrading a desktop would be more cost effective in the long run.

I whole-heartedly agree with you on this one. We have a desktop here, and it plays games perfectly. It needs some upgrades, but local and inexpensive pc parts recyle shops exist that help upgradinmg the desktops easier and cheaper. There's also many reputable price comparison sites online depending on where you are in the world. The ones I use rate the resellers on a five star system with shopper's inputs on each reseller.
OMG! Please do not buy a MAC to game on. Mac's do not get good specs. For the price of a decent mac you can get a godly AMD computer. Secondly MAC's cannot play a lot of games. Now let's do it this way. Intel vs. Amd, Intel's are good processors. But this being said intels overheat quite easily. They are fairly decent to game on, but mainly better for being able to open lots of lower end things at once, i.e youtube/facebook/msn messenger/installing some programs all at once. (FYI, Mac's use intel processors). So intel desktops or MAC computers are pretty much good for using for office work/school work. But if you want a graphic's based gaming computer. One that can run like mw3, bf3, crysis 2 without over heating your goning to want to go with an AMD processor.

Now lets compare price's. For a quad-core imac your looking at about $1200. For a quad-core AMD with a pretty nice ghx card you can get for about $800-900 if you know where to shop at. So now the price is much lower and the comparison is much more far off.

Moral to the story. Intel/Macs = Office work. AMD = Gaming computer.

And to all the kids that are going to troll and say everything im saying is wrong just dont bother. I've been doing computer work and repairs for over 10 years now. Well before most of you started junior high school. So don't bother telling me i'm wrong.
h0tp0ck3t
OMG! Please do not buy a MAC to game on. Mac's do not get good specs. For the price of a decent mac you can get a godly AMD computer. Secondly MAC's cannot play a lot of games. Now let's do it this way. Intel vs. Amd, Intel's are good processors. But this being said intels overheat quite easily. They are fairly decent to game on, but mainly better for being able to open lots of lower end things at once, i.e youtube/facebook/msn messenger/installing some programs all at once. (FYI, Mac's use intel processors). So intel desktops or MAC computers are pretty much good for using for office work/school work. But if you want a graphic's based gaming computer. One that can run like mw3, bf3, crysis 2 without over heating your goning to want to go with an AMD processor.

Now lets compare price's. For a quad-core imac your looking at about $1200. For a quad-core AMD with a pretty nice ghx card you can get for about $800-900 if you know where to shop at. So now the price is much lower and the comparison is much more far off.

And to all the kids that are going to troll and say everything im saying is wrong just dont bother. I've been doing computer work and repairs for over 10 years now. Well before most of you started junior high school. So don't bother telling me i'm wrong.

Thanks for the misinformation.
Macs CAN come with "good specs". You can buy upgrades to nicer graphic chipsets in the Macbook series or attempt installing your own in a Mac desktop.

OSX doesn't have a huge library of games, but now that Macs can run Windows natively and the hardware is completely compatible, most (if not all) games made for NT-based os's can run under Windows on a Mac assuming the graphics card/chipset is up to par.

Intel processors are good, and any system builder would know to go a little crazy with the CPU heatsink to overcompensate for higher operating temperatures. The temperature differences between like-stat AMD and Intel processors are nominal and not as drastic as they used to be with the P4/XP+ series.

AMD processors aren't better to run small tasks on. It doesn't help that you're mixing up CPU and RAM. RAM is what makes multi-tasking possible. You could argue that processor cores and load balancing have something to do with it, but AMD's main stay are 6-core and 4-core processors where half the cores only operate at half-perplexity. You're also referring to apps that are far more limited by internet speed than system speed.

If you want a computer that will play mw3, bf3, or crysis 2 without overheating, pick either AMD or Intel processors. Most of those games can depend on the CPU to compute in-game physics, but most new-ish graphics cards take care of that, too. If you want a computer that will play games well, you should be a little more worried about the graphics capabilities of the graphics card/chipset than worried about which CPU you purchase.

AMD processors are cheaper, but the current-gen have funky core configurations that don't compare to Intel's dual-core and quad-core offerings and the price offset isn't enough to consider the cut in performance.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Don't wave the "I've worked in the industry for more than 10 years" flag at the rest of us. I'm 30, and I've been rocking technology since I was nine. I'm not the only one around here, and experience doesn't automatically make you "more right". I'm not trying to attack you, but it's not chill to have this much bias and misinformation floating around the forums because people who don't know any better end up reading it and sharing your malformed opinion.

3,900 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
Disconsented
No.

lol
h0tp0ck3t

If you were to explicitly state Intel GRAPHICS in your AMD-Intel comparison I'd be willing to cut you some slack, but you appear to have a severe lack of understanding of how hardware actually works as well as the last 8 years of processor releases.

Intel overtook AMD in the processor market long ago. AMD currently runs hotter, consumes more power and is less efficient per clock than Intel. Some games (such as WoW) can see upwards of a 50% increase in performance just by switching to an Intel chip in the same price segment as AMD (ie. with the same discrete graphics on both platforms). Very recently AMD's Llano architecture brought them (almost) up to par in the mobile space. The only thing AMD has really kept over Intel through the years is superior integrated graphics and Ivy Bridge intends to reduce that gap significantly. Wherever discrete graphics are concerned, Intel offers the better platform.

Should you buy a Mac for gaming? Not really. But your "information" is garbage. Intel is far better than you realize. Look at ANY benchmarks and you'll quickly see how misinformed you are.

4,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Wall Street 200
h0tp0ck3t

Intel... Overheat? My 2500k would say otherwise. The damn thing never reaches above 60 under any sort of normal use (Hours of gaming, etc) and only heats up more if I dare run Prime95. And it's using a STOCK COOLER. A cheap Noctua or Zalman, or even a cheap water cooler will easily do better.

Oh and mate, argument from authority, a logical fallacy. Just because you've been working computers for 10 years doesn't mean you're automatically right.

Hell, most of your post reads like you're talking out of your a**. Dollar per dollar, AMD and Intel are pretty equal. You're getting the same s**t for the same price. More cores != better. You should know that by now.

Oh and about AMD... How come I keep hearing horror stories regarding AMD stuff? Driver issues for their GPUs, all sorts of issues for their CPUs. Meanwhile in the Intel and nVidia camp, significantly less, with far more solutions.

As for the whole office argument... Macs suck for everything, simply because a regular computer at that price point would surpass it. A regular office computer would run far cheaper than a Mac. If Macs were good for office computing... You'd see office buildings using Macs. Not Dells or HPs.

Kitten

In one short answer. I would stay away from mac if you want to, "Game."

3,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Hygienic 200
MAC VS PC WARS BEGIN.

I can play modern games all fine with my macbook pro that has 8 gigs of ram and a hexacore intel i7. I'm pretty sure there are better gaming laptops for less but I got this computer for free so I don't give a s**t about money.

Invisible Grabber

10,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
If you're willing to spend a ton of money on a PC for gaming, you may as well buy an Alienware or Falcon Northwest. Or if you're smart enough, you can save yourself a ton of money and build one yourself, like most PC gamers do.
Korruptic
MAC VS PC WARS BEGIN.

I can play modern games all fine with my macbook pro that has 8 gigs of ram and a hexacore intel i7. I'm pretty sure there are better gaming laptops for less but I got this computer for free so I don't give a s**t about money.

Then transfer the "OMG MACS ARE OVERPRICED" complaint directly to the buyer of said laptop for me, would you kindly?

3,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Hygienic 200
Aven Donn
Korruptic
MAC VS PC WARS BEGIN.

Then transfer the "OMG MACS ARE OVERPRICED" complaint directly to the buyer of said laptop for me, would you kindly?

I'm not complaining about anything. And where are you getting at that I said macs were overpriced? You're just bringing in that topic out of nowhere. I'm just saying that there exists gaming laptops that cost less. Know your role and stop being ignorant.

Quotable Hunter

Only if you run windows on them via parallels desktop or bootcamp. It kind of sucks. Macs have the potential to play a lot of great games, it's just that not a lot of people make games for Mac os.

Informer

From what I've heard about them, not really. I myself don't use a Mac, but my dad's girlfriend does and she's always telling me about how World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 are always laggy and don't work and etc., etc. She always ends up playing on my dad's PC.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff