Welcome to Gaia! ::

I have recently had a Windows XP crash, and I am trying to get 13GB of music and 8GB of anime off of my HD with Knoppix Linux. I have tried to browse to my HD but when I try to browse my HD, I get this message:

"/dev/sda: Input/output error
mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified
Please check that the disk is entered correctly."

So.....is there some kind of program I need to be using or what.......I just need linux to recognize NTFS, and I'll be fine. If that's not possible, is there some other kind of other bootable backup utility that will let me burn the data to discs...?

(btw...I have 2 DVD-Burners, so I don't have to worry about running from the cd and burning at the same time.)
Toonytony
I have recently had a Windows XP crash, and I am trying to get 13GB of music and 8GB of anime off of my HD with Knoppix Linux. I have tried to browse to my HD but when I try to browse my HD, I get this message:

So.....is there some kind of program I need to be using or what.......I just need linux to recognize NTFS, and I'll be fine. If that's not possible, is there some other kind of other bootable backup utility that will let me burn the data to discs...?

(btw...I have 2 DVD-Burners, so I don't have to worry about running from the cd and burning at the same time.)
Where are you getting this error? Is it in a console window?

try:
cat /proc/filesystems

This will list the filesystems currently supported. If ntfs support isn't already installed you will have to install it. If it is then try:

mkdir /tmp/windows
mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /tmp/windows

This is assuming sda1 is your hard drive and from the looks of it either SATA or SCSI.
morph007
Toonytony

try:
cat /proc/filesysystems

If ntfs support isn't already installed you will have to install it. If it is then try:

mkdir /tmp/windows

This is assuming sda1 is your hard drive and from the looks of it either SATA or SCSI.

I open my home folder in Konquerer and on the left, there is a hard drive icon (labeled "Hard Disc (sda) [mnt/sda]" wink

when i click on that, that is when i get the error.

And if it matters, my hard drive is SATA.

Okay......I'm kind of a n00b to linux, so how do I install NTFS support?
Toonytony
morph007
Toonytony

try:
cat /proc/filesysystems

If ntfs support isn't already installed you will have to install it. If it is then try:

mkdir /tmp/windows

I open my home folder in Konquerer and on the left, there is a hard drive icon (labeled "Hard Disc (sda) [mnt/sda]" wink

Did you open a terminal and type in "cat /proc/filesystems"? Did it have NTFS in the list of response messages?
morph007
Toonytony
morph007
Toonytony

try:
cat /proc/filesysystems

mkdir /tmp/windows

Did you open a terminal and type in "cat /proc/filesystems"? Did it have NTFS in the list of response messages?

yes, I typed it.....and no......it didn't have NTFS.
Toonytony
morph007
Toonytony
morph007
Toonytony

try:
cat /proc/filesysystems

mkdir /tmp/windows

It might be easier to get the latest version of Knoppix since NTFS support is not builtin with your version. If you insist on using the version you have you will have to refer to this site which has the package and information you need to patch your kernel.
morph007
Toonytony
morph007
Toonytony
morph007
Toonytony

try:
cat /proc/filesysystems

mkdir /tmp/windows

It might be easier to get the latest version of Knoppix since NTFS support is not builtin with your version. If you insist on using the version you have you will have to refer to this site which has the package and information you need to patch your kernel.

okay.....I'm downloading the latest version now.

I have noticed something about linux. Since I am using linux now instead of windows, I have noticed that the download speeds are a lot faster. I was wondering.... why?
Toonytony
morph007
Toonytony
morph007
Toonytony

I have noticed something about linux. Since I am using linux now instead of windows, I have noticed that the download speeds are a lot faster. I was wondering.... why?
There could be several factors. If the machine did not have the proper drivers installed for the network card they could have hindered performance. Also, any application that is running could have been utilizing network traffic. Are you using the same cabling as you were previously? Are there any snags, exposed copper, or pinched wires? Malicious software could have been running allowing backdoors into your machine which could be exploited to utilize your resources (bandwidth/cpu/memory/etc). The least likely is that your system is just too slow to keep up with the amount of data (if it's anything within the past 5 years this should not apply).
morph007
Toonytony
morph007
Toonytony
morph007
Toonytony

There could be several factors. If the machine did not have the proper drivers installed for the network card they could have hindered performance. Also, any application that is running could have been utilizing network traffic. Are you using the same cabling as you were previously? Are there any snags, exposed copper, or pinched wires? Malicious software could have been running allowing backdoors into your machine which could be exploited to utilize your resources (bandwidth/cpu/memory/etc). The least likely is that your system is just too slow to keep up with the amount of data (if it's anything within the past 5 years this should not apply).

same wiring, and everything. I haven't changed anything except the OS. And my PC is 1 year old...with upgrades. Probably too many bandwidth snagging programs running, I guess.
DAMN IT!!!!!! I got version 3.9 running, and did what you said. it accepted the commands without problems, but when I tried to open the Hard drive in my Home folder, it gave me this error:

"Could not enter folder /ramdisk/tmp/windows."
Toonytony
DAMN IT!!!!!! I got version 3.9 running, and did what you said. it accepted the commands without problems, but when I tried to open the Hard drive in my Home folder, it gave me this error:

"Could not enter folder /ramdisk/tmp/windows."

Well... because knoppix loads into ram [/ramdisk/] it cant load all your stuff [/mnt/hda1 or /media/hda1 or whatever you have] into ram. I would get a externel hdd or a USB thumb drive, mount it and load alll the stuff into it. You will need somthing like this anyway, because I think you do want all your data after all this.
okay. thanks people. I have figured it out. I just had to mount it at the boot prompt. That worked fine. now I have it under control.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games