Welcome to Gaia! ::

is there any way to temporarily keep someone from downloading anything to your computer without having a seperate account?

EDIT: oh, and I forgot to mention, it's windows XP that I need the help with
and it's because certain people may try to download music sharing programs that could quite possibly screw up the computer while others are away... stressed
Pull out the internet cable and hide it. That's all you can do. Everything you look at on the internet is downloaded to your computer while your looking at it (into a temporary folder). I've never heard of a program that can limit what file types you download, but if there was, you would want to tell it to disallow .exe, .mp3 and .torrent. But.... I'm pretty sure they don't exist. sweatdrop

Really your best bet would be to hide your computer.
Quote:
Pull out the internet cable and hide it. That's all you can do. Everything you look at on the internet is downloaded to your computer while your looking at it (into a temporary folder). I've never heard of a program that can limit what file types you download, but if there was, you would want to tell it to disallow .exe, .mp3 and .torrent. But.... I'm pretty sure they don't exist. sweatdrop

Or tie up your siblings or whoever is doing it. Lock them in their room (or any room without the computer) and put a boombox right outside and play it so loud nobody can hear them scream.
Quote:

yeah, problem is the jackass is staying at my girlfriends house and when her mom's asleep she can't hide the computer... and she doesn't want viruses from what he downloads, cuz he's a complete idiot...

and I meant keeping it from downloading things mostly of the .exe type...
pretty sure he can't kill the comp without downloading those... sweatdrop

crying crying crying crying crying

EDIT: btw, the jackass is her step-dad's son... so she has some problems saying no to him using the computer... ie: she says no, he talks to his dad and then step-dad gets to cause problems for her... stressed
I see...

Theres nothing that you can do then, Whatever you do he'll just cry mummy, even though he's talking to his father.
I take it this is a family computer? Why doesn't she want to make separate accounts?
Maybe she should just get some nice virus software and spyware blockers. I really don't know how good the free virus software are just because I haven't used them, but the pay stuff is not more than $40. I've seen Norton on sale with rebates for free.
Quote:
Well, if it is WinXP, There is actually quite a bit you can do...

First, you have this:
http://img56.exs.cx/img56/5486/settings.jpg

Now he cant download ANYTHING in Internet Explorer.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm

This program can make it so you restrict Windows Features and such, like no email attachments.

Here is another useful article, http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1487479046;fp;2;fpid;1277378924
but im going to highlight a certain paragraph for you and put it here:
Once you�ve decided on the right account type for your users, you can then, for instance, decide which areas on the file system they can go to, and deny access to others. Simply open up Windows Explorer, and right-click on, for example, a folder to which you wish to restrict, and pick Sharing and Security. In the dialogue that pops up, click on the Security tab, and you can pick who (and which group of users) can have full control (usually Adminstrators and the folder owners only), modify (ditto), read and execute files in the folder, list folder contents, and read and write from and to the folder.

Tell me if this info helps, or if you need more

Of course, the first, simple option only works if the abuser is not computer savvy biggrin
I've been on plenty of school & library computer's to know, that there are ways to prevent ppl from installing stuff. How though? I don't know.
Quote:
Well, if it is WinXP, There is actually quite a bit you can do...

Here is another useful article, http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1487479046;fp;2;fpid;1277378924
but im going to highlight a certain paragraph for you and put it here:
Once you?ve decided on the right account type for your users, you can then, for instance, decide which areas on the file system they can go to, and deny access to others. Simply open up Windows Explorer, and right-click on, for example, a folder to which you wish to restrict, and pick Sharing and Security. In the dialogue that pops up, click on the Security tab, and you can pick who (and which group of users) can have full control (usually Adminstrators and the folder owners only), modify (ditto), read and execute files in the folder, list folder contents, and read and write from and to the folder.

Problem is any way of restricting things would require an extra account to be made.
this is probably caused by BT, so stop using it!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff