Welcome to Gaia! ::

Adored Lunatic

12,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Alright, since yesterday, my computer has been making these really weird sounds. I figured out it was my fan, or something related to my fan. Apparently my computer has overheated so much that my fan is acting up and something like incerting a CD and ejecting it a bunch of times will help. I did that, and things seemed to go back to normal and my MAC stopped sounding a plane about to take off.
                                            But now, there's this quite clicking noise. I heard it all last night just before my computer wanted to try and take off, and I'm still hearing it now.

Should I bring my MAC in and have someone take a look at it? But I'm afraid I'll lose a lot of important stuff. A lot of important pictures. CT please help me.

Phantom

9,750 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
Be sure to back up your computer before you ever bring it in to someone. Apple is notorious for replacing hard drives that may not even need it. If you have an external hard drive laying around, I recommend setting up a Time Machine backup so that all your data doesn't just disappear on you.

Sounds like your fan's bearings may have gone. You could take it to the Apple Store and see what they have to say about it. If it is verified that it's the fan, and your Mac is still under warranty, then they should repair it no problem, but I wouldn't imagine a fan replacement costing too much.
Honestly if its a clicking noise it is more than likely your fan. Which will cost like $10 for the fan. Unless it's under warrantly. Also they have no real reason to even touch your harddrive. But if your really paranoid. Like the guy above me said use an external harddrive or usb flash drives if its not much stuff. Just make sure if you take it to the shop tell them not to touch your harddrive.

Adored Lunatic

12,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Mashed Potato Jones
Be sure to back up your computer before you ever bring it in to someone. Apple is notorious for replacing hard drives that may not even need it. If you have an external hard drive laying around, I recommend setting up a Time Machine backup so that all your data doesn't just disappear on you.

Sounds like your fan's bearings may have gone. You could take it to the Apple Store and see what they have to say about it. If it is verified that it's the fan, and your Mac is still under warranty, then they should repair it no problem, but I wouldn't imagine a fan replacement costing too much.

Alright. Thank you.

Adored Lunatic

12,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
h0tp0ck3t
Honestly if its a clicking noise it is more than likely your fan. Which will cost like $10 for the fan. Unless it's under warrantly. Also they have no real reason to even touch your harddrive. But if your really paranoid. Like the guy above me said use an external harddrive or usb flash drives if its not much stuff. Just make sure if you take it to the shop tell them not to touch your harddrive.

I would have said it's the fan not the harddrive anyway since I've heard things like that anyhow.
                                                  Thank you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games