Welcome to Gaia! ::

Business Fairy

7,400 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Tycoon 200
The rose in spring
If you are looking for something with that much power, then you are better off with a desktop. Something like that will be tremendously pricey.
You're right. Desktops are much more powerful and more economical sense. But I can't take that desktop from room to room or location to location at will. I've been sitting at a desk for 14 years. If I wanted to keep sitting at a desk, then I wouldn't have thought about getting a laptop. Short Answer: I'd like to sit in the recliner with a PC in my lap while I watch the New girl on TV. And a laptop with an i7 might not be as powerful as it's tower counterpart, but it should be sufficient enough to run any non-gaming or emulator programs I have.

Lanackse-Kanvae
The reason we're asking what you're going to use it for is because there's no use recommending a sports car if you need a 4x4 or a small run around.

You'll either get your a** stuck halfway up a carn or you'll have wasted a lot of money on a V12 you're not going to use (not to imagine the insane insurance/tax/petrol costs).
And? Computers are big purchases...

I bought my last computer 7 years ago, and I've hated it for 6 and a half years for being too much of a piece of s**t because I decided to keep my budget at $400-$500. So I thought that if I aimed abit higher at a highish-spec'd piece of machinery, that maybe I wouldn't feel held back by my machine until its atleast 3 years old. And no... I don't plan on using the full power of an i7 even 99% of the time, but I both need and want the option to use it if or when I need it.

If I go for a cheaper i3 PC, it can easily satisfy 95% of my needs, but if I wanna run a PS2 emulator, or something hardware demanding then I don't have the option to without buying another machine with the hardware necessary for it. I'm mostly just a heavy internet-user and not a PC gamer, but I don't want my options to be held back by being cheaper on my PC budget.

L33t Mule Pants
I do not think OP wants to see people arguing on her thread once she returns. Please take it to PM. sad
To be honest, I encourage it. Even if the argument isn't related to my interests, I like having the freedom to post what I want, when and where I want for any reason, and I expect the same for other people as well. And its not like an un-constructive post effects anything. It can be skipped in a scroll of a mouse wheel.

Now that I got responses out of the way, here are my thoughts on what I want. I don't want the most powerful machine on the planet. I don't want to get into PC customizing or brag about my specs. I'm not a PC gamer, though I'd like the option to try things like console emulation or a few block buster PC titles, even though my main focus in a PC is just having Firefox open. Even if any of you think its a waste of money to get an i7 when an i3 or i5 is enough, I would still be held back if I think I may ever need four cores in the future, because I'm going to be using the same machine for atleast the next three years. And much like said above in a response, I've had my PC since 2006, and have hated it since I found out that it couldn't run F.E.A.R, Bioshock, or Tomb Raider legend. I didn't need to play those games, but I do need the ability to play them. And the only reason I'm not thinking about what desktop I should get is because being confined to a desk just for a little bit more power that I really don't need , until the next time I need a computer, which might not be for many years, is really not appealing to me.

So basically I' saying portable i7 is a must. And I need just only 6GB of RAM, but its hard to find laptops that have more than 4GB, and less than 8GB, so I just went with 8GB.

Thank you for the suggestions sofar. The N76VJ and Envy DV7 are my favorite choices sofar, still always open to more options.

Enduring Friend

Adulteraisin

Thank you for the suggestions sofar. The N76VJ and Envy DV7 are my favorite choices sofar, still always open to more options.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152377

Here ya go. Try that.
Minion4Hire
The rose in spring
elemein
Why would they make mobile i7's if they were "a terrible consumer decision"?

Stop being so close minded. Some people need laptops and power in the same package. Desktops isnt the end-all-be-all, and if the OP isnt looking for one, dont suggest one.

It's called marketing. If a company makes a product, they want to produce chaply and sell high. Or in other words, a laptop. Just because a processor will never reach its full capacity does not mean that they can't market it.
Actually, Intel is so heavily invested in the laptop market that smaller packages, smaller TDPs, and just generally more power efficient designs (power gating, sleep states, lower voltage, etc) heavily influence their desktop designs.

In years past (like 10+ years) Intel would take desktop processors and scale them down to fit into mobile devices to give people a mobile option. These days it's the opposite: Mobile processors are the primary focus and these designs are scaled up for desktop workloads. Its at the point now where the vast majority of user's processing needs can be met by mobile processors. That includes video editing and the like as well. I'm not saying a six or eight-core SnB-E enthusiast and enterprise-level hardware wouldn't perform better for those heavily-threaded tasks, I'm saying that consumers don't buy them anyway, and the quad core mobile parts are very similar to their desktop counterparts.

Intel is meeting consumer demand. There are literally more than twice as many laptops in the market as desktops. They are focused on making laptops better and better, and eventually laptop processors will by the same ones used in desktops. There will always be server/enthusiast-level hardware, but the mainstream is going/has gone mobile.

You need to understand this. Laptops may be more popular, but there is a reason. Laptops are used for basic computing. You may be some expert virgin who knows how to utilize a computer effectively, but most people will not. People only care about Facebook, YouTube and maybe eBay if they are a hoarder. Nothing else. Computing has reached it's full cpacity on terms of most people caring in the Pentium 4 era. Most people don't need more than 40gb of space on their hard drive, the same way most people don't need more than a Pentium 4. There is no point in buying an Audi R8 if you are only going to go 65 on the freeway.
The rose in spring
Welcome to the thread, Rose. This was dead for two weeks.
Leave dead threads alone.
Yuki the Third
The rose in spring

Age doesn't disqualify my point.
The rose in spring
Yuki the Third
The rose in spring

It does break the rules though, just warning you.
Yuki the Third
The rose in spring
Yuki the Third
The rose in spring

It does break the rules though, just warning you.

It's Gaia's fault for setting the server like that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff