Welcome to Gaia! ::

I would personally recommend this and upgrade the RAM manually

Enduring Friend

God Emperor Akhenaton

@elemein: I take it that you do not build computers? Desktops have several advantages that prevent them from fading away. Gaming is one of them and honestly, the "Gaming" laptop isn't all that impressive and you cannot upgrade their video at least not for now. I get that there is a need for mobility, but I have an iphone for that.

No, sorry, I do build computers.

You're forgetting that gaming is also an advantage for laptops. Yes. Gaming is an advantage for laptops. Laptops are getting more and more powerful, and are becoming more and more capable. Also, you can indeed upgrade a laptop GPU and CPU if you have a full-size and socketed laptop. There are many examples of this online being done right before your eyes. It's harder, yes, but not impossible or even THAT hard.

And dont compare an iphone to a computer. Completely different uses.

Sorry guys, I understand you love your desktops, but laptops arent weak anymore. This isnt 1998. Yes, I have one of those old Windows 98 Celeron laptops that is useless as anything but a paperweight, but I also have osmething that can play battlefield and I can take anywhere.

There is this thing called gaming while NOT NEEDING maximum settings.
elemein
God Emperor Akhenaton

@elemein: I take it that you do not build computers? Desktops have several advantages that prevent them from fading away. Gaming is one of them and honestly, the "Gaming" laptop isn't all that impressive and you cannot upgrade their video at least not for now. I get that there is a need for mobility, but I have an iphone for that.

No, sorry, I do build computers.

You're forgetting that gaming is also an advantage for laptops. Yes. Gaming is an advantage for laptops. Laptops are getting more and more powerful, and are becoming more and more capable. Also, you can indeed upgrade a laptop GPU and CPU if you have a full-size and socketed laptop. There are many examples of this online being done right before your eyes. It's harder, yes, but not impossible or even THAT hard.

And dont compare an iphone to a computer. Completely different uses.

Sorry guys, I understand you love your desktops, but laptops arent weak anymore. This isnt 1998. Yes, I have one of those old Windows 98 Celeron laptops that is useless as anything but a paperweight, but I also have osmething that can play battlefield and I can take anywhere.

There is this thing called gaming while NOT NEEDING maximum settings.

Except they are weak and while some CPU's may be upgradable in a laptop, good luck finding one. No. It's no an advantage. While gaming laptops are around, they are more expensive than they are worth. A gaming desktop however is a lot more powerful and the building community is hardly impressed with them. Congrats on you having a busy life, but I don't need to take a laptop anywhere. That is why I bring up my phone. It has the functions that I would otherwise use on a laptop except it isn't clunky. The only advantage a laptop has in my eyes is if you want computing on the cheap or you have the ability to repair it.

Enduring Friend

God Emperor Akhenaton

Except they are weak and while some CPU's may be upgradable in a laptop, good luck finding one. No. It's no an advantage. While gaming laptops are around, they are more expensive than they are worth. A gaming desktop however is a lot more powerful and the building community is hardly impressed with them. Congrats on you having a busy life, but I don't need to take a laptop anywhere. That is why I bring up my phone. It has the functions that I would otherwise use on a laptop except it isn't clunky. The only advantage a laptop has in my eyes is if you want computing on the cheap or you have the ability to repair it.

There are people other than you in the universe. Those who travel a lot and need powerful computers too. Ask any business man who travels frequently. Theres a thing called market diversity, and clearly you dont know what it is. I never asked if you found gaming laptops impressive, I'm simply saying that they're there, and that they are a viable choice. Also, again, OP NEVER EVER mentioned a desktop, so... The ******** is it doing here again?
elemein
God Emperor Akhenaton

There are people other than you in the universe. Those who travel a lot and need powerful computers too. Ask any business man who travels frequently. Theres a thing called market diversity, and clearly you dont know what it is. I never asked if you found gaming laptops impressive, I'm simply saying that they're there, and that they are a viable choice. Also, again, OP NEVER EVER mentioned a desktop, so... The ******** is it doing here again?

All a businessman needs in a laptop is MS Office. Wow. Problem solved on that one. Either way, I already posted the laptop of choice.

Enduring Friend

God Emperor Akhenaton

All a businessman needs in a laptop is MS Office. Wow. Problem solved on that one. Either way, I already posted the laptop of choice.

This businessman cant game?
elemein
God Emperor Akhenaton

If I had to go out of town to go to business, then I would rather spend my free time exploring the city than to play games in my Hotel room.

Enduring Friend

God Emperor Akhenaton
elemein
God Emperor Akhenaton

If I had to go out of town to go to business, then I would rather spend my free time exploring the city than to play games in my Hotel room.

Are you a businessman?

It's like you're trying to say that gaming laptops are useless as a whole. It's funny, they still get sold everyday.
elemein
God Emperor Akhenaton
elemein
God Emperor Akhenaton

Are you a businessman?

It's like you're trying to say that gaming laptops are useless as a whole. It's funny, they still get sold everyday.

I am infact a businessman. Also stop with the ad populum. The majority have laptops because that is all they need for computing while the entertainment center is either centered around a good desktop or a family room.

Enduring Friend

God Emperor Akhenaton
elemein
God Emperor Akhenaton
elemein
God Emperor Akhenaton

Are you a businessman?

I am infact a businessman. Also stop with the ad populum. The majority have laptops because that is all they need for computing while the entertainment center is either centered around a good desktop or a family room.

People dont buy gaming laptops for basic needs. You're being too close minded to even understand the market. That's pretty sad. You're very lucky that whatever you deal in has a very very narrow market. I don't feel like talking to someone who can't even accept ideas and usages of a computer.
elemein
God Emperor Akhenaton
elemein
God Emperor Akhenaton
elemein
God Emperor Akhenaton

Are you a businessman?

People dont buy gaming laptops for basic needs. You're being too close minded to even understand the market. That's pretty sad. You're very lucky that whatever you deal in has a very very narrow market. I don't feel like talking to someone who can't even accept ideas and usages of a computer.

I am in computer repair. I have disassembled and reassembled laptops numerous times. Certainly enough to know HP has heating issues while Toshiba has issues with their DC jacks. People do not particularly game on computers either. There is a strong geek niche, but this niche is centered around desktops. Are there people who do game on laptops? Yes and I feel sorry for them because they are essentially paying for a laptop with a 2 year shelf life and then just like that, they are behind.

Enduring Friend

God Emperor Akhenaton

People do not particularly game on computers either. There is a strong geek niche, but this niche is centered around desktops. Are there people who do game on laptops? Yes and I feel sorry for them because they are essentially paying for a laptop with a 2 year shelf life and then just like that, they are behind.

Its the same with desktops. 2 years to be more or less obsolete.

Wanna upgrade after that? Sure, go ahead. You can do that in a full size laptop too.
elemein
God Emperor Akhenaton

People do not particularly game on computers either. There is a strong geek niche, but this niche is centered around desktops. Are there people who do game on laptops? Yes and I feel sorry for them because they are essentially paying for a laptop with a 2 year shelf life and then just like that, they are behind.

Wanna upgrade after that? Sure, go ahead. You can do that in a full size.

And I won't be paying $1200 for the upgrade either. I'll just pay $300 for a good card this year and 2 years down the road, I'll get a new $500 processor with a $180 motherboard.

Enduring Friend

God Emperor Akhenaton
elemein
God Emperor Akhenaton

Wanna upgrade after that? Sure, go ahead. You can do that in a full size.

And I won't be paying $1200 for the upgrade either. I'll just pay $300 for a good card this year and 2 years down the road, I'll get a new $500 processor with a $180 motherboard.

Good for you, champ smile I'm glad you already have plans of upgrading!

But frankly, I couldnt care less. Money doesnt devalue the validity of my argument. A businessman should know that most.
The rose in spring
elemein
Why would they make mobile i7's if they were "a terrible consumer decision"?

Stop being so close minded. Some people need laptops and power in the same package. Desktops isnt the end-all-be-all, and if the OP isnt looking for one, dont suggest one.

It's called marketing. If a company makes a product, they want to produce chaply and sell high. Or in other words, a laptop. Just because a processor will never reach its full capacity does not mean that they can't market it.
Actually, Intel is so heavily invested in the laptop market that smaller packages, smaller TDPs, and just generally more power efficient designs (power gating, sleep states, lower voltage, etc) heavily influence their desktop designs.

In years past (like 10+ years) Intel would take desktop processors and scale them down to fit into mobile devices to give people a mobile option. These days it's the opposite: Mobile processors are the primary focus and these designs are scaled up for desktop workloads. Its at the point now where the vast majority of user's processing needs can be met by mobile processors. That includes video editing and the like as well. I'm not saying a six or eight-core SnB-E enthusiast and enterprise-level hardware wouldn't perform better for those heavily-threaded tasks, I'm saying that consumers don't buy them anyway, and the quad core mobile parts are very similar to their desktop counterparts.

Intel is meeting consumer demand. There are literally more than twice as many laptops in the market as desktops. They are focused on making laptops better and better, and eventually laptop processors will by the same ones used in desktops. There will always be server/enthusiast-level hardware, but the mainstream is going/has gone mobile.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff