• Elocutionist 200
http://www.gaiaonline.com/info/legal/tos

You can read and find out for yourself.

Aged Lunatic

Beaujolais Vino
Lanackse-Kanvae
http://www.gaiaonline.com/info/legal/tos
You can read and find out for yourself.
I read those again BEFORE I posted the question.

Depends on your interpretation of 'possible to check'. Can someone do it? Sure, technically speaking, anyone who has any form of remote content on their profile either from the media field or the CSS can effectively 'track' you because the content could be coming from a system they control and can see the raw access logs of.

Of course this doesn't mean that they are purposely tracking you, and they're not really invisible, it's just how webservers work.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
I would say that it would potentially be visible in the source code of the page but I've had a look at Gaia's coding and by the gods it's poorly formatted and poorly organised. How many style sheets does one page need?!

Aged Lunatic

Beaujolais Vino
Thanks for the answer, but that's not rly what I need to know.
I know ppl can do it, but idk how to check to see if they're doing it.

nb4...please don't say "ask mod", i already did that, and they had no clue. Mods know the rules of Gaia, not necessarily tech stuff.

There's no way at all to know if someone is explicitly tracking you, the internet doesn't work like they portray on CSI and Numb3rs, you can't just take 2 minutes and gain access to a system and see if they're tracking/logging/etc gaia users on purpose, nobody is really going to know other than those with access to the system and the access logs to the httpd software on it.

With that said, the closest you can possibly come is like I already said, if their profile has anything unique on it that isn't otherwise found on Gaia, such as random images or a video, and so on, then there's effectively a chance they may be able to get your basic browser and connection details.

Now if you want to get a bit technical like lanackse is trying to, in the case of "Classic Profiles", viewing the page source any custom CSS would show up in the header around line 20, directly below the line that references inclusion of the custom_theme.css style sheet.

"New" profiles may be a little bit different since the creation of such profiles are a bit more dynamically driven when being made, the simplest way I can suggest to try and find potential-remote files in that are to look for any domains that aren't gaiaonline.com.

Aged Lunatic

Beaujolais Vino
So, if there was a profile or store image not otherwise found on Gaia, that could be the source behind the tracker?

Thanks for the lead regarding page sources. I've looked at that before but couldn't locate it. Since you narrowed down where and what to search for, I'll look again.

Theoretically sure, but for all that matters people can pretty much do the same exact thing with their signatures really, doesn't have to be a profile.

Exactly what makes you think you're being 'tracked' by a user specifically, or at all really (other than the usual tracking cookies used by ads and analytics used on a lot of sites, Gaia included), especially by a users profile? How many profiles do you frequently look at?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff