Welcome to Gaia! ::

Newbie Noob

8,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Firstly, it appears that my CD drive does not detect CD's. I put in a CD and it makes a few clicking noises but nothing happens. I can see it on my device list and my computer recognizes it as D:. Both the sata cable and the power cables are connected correctly.

Secondly, my VGA port that is connected to my motherboard isn't working. This is my motherboard. Currently I am using my GPU's VGA port but I want to connect another monitor to my computer.

Aged Lunatic

By not working do you mean you're trying to use it at the same time as your dedicated graphics card, or if you disable your dedicated graphics card it still won't show anything?

Generally a motherboard will default all video to whatever hooked-in one there is (such as one set in a PCIe slot), and won't let you dual-use by default. If you want to use both of them at the same time you'll need to go into your BIOS/UEFI configuration and see if there's any way to enable both, more specifically you'll probably be looking for something labeled "Virtu" (though a fast glance of the MSI specs for your motherboard don't seem to imply you support Virtu).

As for your CD drive, if it's making clicking noises and doing nothing else then it's probably dead and in need of replacing, probably one of the parts for reading/spinning the disk finally gave out (the OS will still see the drive, as it doesn't do any sort of maintenance check to make sure the drive actually 'works' to toggle it as visible or not). I'd say just snag another drive, you can get DVD combo burners for like $10-20 (USD) for a decent one so they're not really too expensive.

Super Cyclops

When my old-a** toshiba x4 died it wouldn't do any mechnical work (apart from tray operation), no noises no nothing, just lasered the disc and did nothing.

Do you get any messages when the drive doesn't recognise discs? You should, as it's an error if drive can't read. Wether it's optics (disc spins) or mechanics (maybe somthing's jerking the spinning mechanism).

I agree with Synapt, put the drive in the bin and get a new one - they hardly cost anything nowadays.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff