Welcome to Gaia! ::

I was wondering is it possible to freelance and make money doing html coding for websites and graphic designing? Can anyone suggest any graphic design forums for me to look at and talk to other graphic designers/web developers?
Marty Eclair
I was wondering is it possible to freelance and make money doing html coding for websites and graphic designing?
Yes. I know dozens of people in my town who do exactly that full-time and make a reasonable income.

There are enough of them that we even started a monthly web designers' meetup that gets very good attendance.
Marty Eclair
Can anyone suggest any graphic design forums for me to look at and talk to other graphic designers/web developers?
Go to local coffee shops and start networking.
I second networking. Get to know other designers and scripters, but most importantly, focus on developing your skills with HTML, CSS, and PHP. After you get the basics down, avoid w3schools like the plague. Before you meet & greet with other designers, follow tutorials online. Understand you're probably going to be spending a lot of time learning from other designers before you're ready to start selling your own work. Build a portfolio, even if it's full of hobby work you never got paid for. Once you feel your skill is on par with your peers and you start selling your designs, add them to your portfolio.

There are other things to focus on that can help. Color theory is one of them. There's nothing more important to a web designer than knowing which colors compliment each other and how to effectively use color to draw or deflect attention. Study navigation design to ensure that you know how to provide an easily browsible website without confusing new users. Lastly, check out some really, really bad examples of web design to know what you should avoid.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff