Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ignore the fact that this is a brand new account I used to have an account here and kind of stopped logging in, but this is the only place I could think of to go...

So I just got a new computer since my old one is very clearly slowly dying, I thought, let's actually get one before it craps out completely.

One would think a new computer wouldn't have any issues right?
Wrong.

The internet is deathly slow sometimes. Other times it runs fine.

I pinged the router, I got a 5ms avergerage on one, The next?? 3770ms.
My old laptop, gets 9-10mbps on speedtest.net.
New Laptop gets about .50mbps...

I've tried updating my router.
I've tried updating drivers, running it in safemode, everything I can think of and everything my friend could think of.... Any other ideas or should I start packing it back up and return it?
Windows 8 I assume? Did you link your Microsoft account during first time set up?

If so, call Microsoft, have them unlink you and DO NOT use the Windows imbedded services which are pinned on Metro. Same situation happened with a computer I fixed yesterday which had the same characteristics you have mentioned and it was fixed by removing the link with the msft account.

Additionally, what is the antivirus that came with the computer?
Supertaquito
Windows 8 I assume? Did you link your Microsoft account during first time set up?

If so, call Microsoft, have them unlink you and DO NOT use the Windows imbedded services which are pinned on Metro. Same situation happened with a computer I fixed yesterday which had the same characteristics you have mentioned and it was fixed by removing the link with the msft account.

No, it's Windows 7. I haven't much cared for 8 so I tried to avoid buying it.

It was Norton, but I tried going into safemode, and I also disabled it, could it still cause problems that way?
Caffeinated Bells
Supertaquito

It was Norton, but I tried going into safemode, and I also disabled it, could it still cause problems that way?

Yeah, norton is a piece of convoluted nightmare that only makes things worse. Norton was also involved in the laptop i fixed previously. It had a lot, and I mean A LOT of Internet and web surfing filters that preventing most of the pages to load up properly.

To be honest I do not get why people continue feeding that horrible antivirus. Try uninstalling it.
Supertaquito

Yeah, norton is a piece of convoluted nightmare that only makes things worse. Norton was also involved in the laptop i fixed previously. It had a lot, and I mean A LOT of Internet and web surfing filters that preventing most of the pages to load up properly.

To be honest I do not get why people continue feeding that horrible antivirus. Try uninstalling it.

Yeahhh I uninstalled it and it didn't work.

I think I'm just going to return it >.> It looks like other people are having the same issue. It's a Toshiba satellite and I was looking at the forums and there are a few threads involving similar issues.
What computer did you get and what router do you have?
God Emperor Baldur

Toshiba Satellite C70-AST2NX2 annnd the Router is as Netgear WNR2000v3
Caffeinated Bells
God Emperor Baldur

What I would do is contact customer support. It may be a bad wifi card and if it's under warranty, they can just replace it. If that doesn't help, then I would look into a possible EMI like a microwave or something like that. One thing I will say is that your router seems very anemic. The way they work is that every router is a computer and a very slow computer at that. Imagine your phone and imagine that all your data in your home goes through that. That would be bullet fast compared to what you have. So it is a consideration but since you had no problem with your other computer, it may be the laptop itself.

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

Supertaquito
Caffeinated Bells
Supertaquito

the only good norton product is Norton Utilities. I had internet sec. and it said that "google" is a malware site. pff.
God Emperor Baldur
Caffeinated Bells
God Emperor Baldur

What I would do is contact customer support. It may be a bad wifi card and if it's under warranty, they can just replace it. If that doesn't help, then I would look into a possible EMI like a microwave or something like that. One thing I will say is that your router seems very anemic. The way they work is that every router is a computer and a very slow computer at that. Imagine your phone and imagine that all your data in your home goes through that. That would be bullet fast compared to what you have. So it is a consideration but since you had no problem with your other computer, it may be the laptop itself.

Sorry this took so long we've since sent it out to Toshiba and to Best Buy Geek Squad, Toshiba says they replaced the wireless adapter card, no luck. Best Buy Scanned it and said there was nothing wrong with it that showed up. They said it may be a software issue and it may also be something going on the hard drive that isn't bad enough to be picked up on their tests. But it's a brand new computer I doubt that would be the issue yet. Hopefully.

It's still doing it, but we've also gotten a new router since... soo *sigh* I dunno.
I also keep getting this error right around the time it goes out... idk if this helps, I've looked it up but there doesn't seem to be just one solution... sad

Quote:
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client
Date: 8/25/2014 1:30:48 AM
Event ID: 1014
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: Bells-PC
Description:
Name resolution for the name safebrowsing.google.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.
Event Xml:
<Event >
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client" Guid="{1C95126E-7EEA-49A9-A3FE-A378B03DDB4D}" />
<EventID>1014</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-08-25T05:30:48.004274600Z" />
<EventRecordID>8070</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="1104" ThreadID="1092" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Bells-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-20" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="QueryName">safebrowsing.google.com</Data>
<Data Name="AddressLength">16</Data>
<Data Name="Address">02000035C0A801010000000000000000</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
9cer
Your Internet speed is determined by your particular package with the company that gives you Internet, period. No matter what, you will not see faster website loading, unless you pay more per month for a faster package.

A faster computer would make your browser load faster, but there's no way it can make websites load faster. That is dependent on your Internet speed.

I've never had this issue before. My Mom's $200 Wal Mart computer holds a connection better. My sister's cheap computer and my old 3+ year old laptop all run better than a brand new laptop. There is no way that is right. So... yeah, that's true on a normal basis but there is something wrong with that computer that is interfering with the internet. Becuase it loads the pages perfectly fine sometimes. Other times it slows to a crawl.

Newbie Newb

14,075 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Wall Street 200
Sounds like your on basic internet level if you ask me your speed is based on how much you pay. and your internet might act slow if everyone in your house is using the wifi or internet access. I don't feel like the computer its self is the reason the websites are not loading fast on your computer. But a laptop can make the browser itself load slow if the computer is slow already. But just incase contact support or try to get a different one incase that one is in fact defected IE the Wifi card or just something in general
Kennstro
Sounds like your on basic internet level if you ask me your speed is based on how much you pay. and your internet might act slow if everyone in your house is using the wifi or internet access. I don't feel like the computer its self is the reason the websites are not loading fast on your computer. But a laptop can make the browser itself load slow if the computer is slow already. But just incase contact support or try to get a different one incase that one is in fact defected IE the Wifi card or just something in general

2 Cheap a** computers load faster than my brand new, better computer. None of the other computers run that slow when online. My computer can't even play a YouTube video for 30 seconds without buffering. The other two can.

It doesn't make sense to me why other computers would work fine if it's the internet itself.

I tried the Wifi card though-- no go.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces