Welcome to Gaia! ::

Steadfast Noob

2,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Partygoer 500
hiya! so in my neverending quest to find a nice gaming pc for myself ive been asking myself questions abotu what i want and dont want. so when the subject of operating system came up i thought i wouldn't mind having linux. i have a non gaming laptop with windows 7. no point in having 2 windows 7s if i dont need to.

so heres teh thing. most of the game boxes i look at that show the system requirements say windows. some also say mac. i never see linux.

so is linux made to automatically be able to play any games that r for windows?
also is linux made to automatically b able to play any games that r for mac?

how do i know which games will run on linux and which wont if the games boxes never acknowledge linux?????

Sparkly Lunatic

If they don't specifically say they run on linux they don't run on linux.

Not natively, at least. There are layers like WINE that can run some games (and other people here have more experience with that then me)

8,500 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
To answer your question simply, no. Most games are not designed to work on Linux.

That's not to say that you can't play games on Linux, just that most of the major titles don't officially support it. There are exceptions, like Heroes of Newearth, the Unreal Tournament series (except for UT3), Doom 3, and several others, which have released and supported official Linux versions.

In addition, there are a number of indie or smaller developers/publishers who support Linux, such as 2D Boy, Wolfire Games, and others who participate in the Humble Bundles. There are also some games, such as Minecraft and many browser-games, which are inherently cross-platform.

But even without those commercial games, there are quite a few original Linux games such as Battle for Wesnoth, AssaultCube, and Tux Racer. There are also many clones like SuperTuxKart, OpenArena, Legends, and Pingus.

And then there's the emulators. There are emulators available for a wide variety of platforms from arcade cabinets to game consoles.

But the real question is, can you play your favorite Windows games. The answer is maybe.
Using WINE (which is a compatibility layer, not an emulator) you can run many Windows applications natively on Linux. When it works, it can really work well. Back in 2002-2004 I used to bring Linux systems to the local LAN Parties and once the games were running other gamers couldn't tell I was using Linux. That said, not every game works that flawlessly. You'll need to check WINE's compatibility list to see how well the games you want to play are supported.

When you're using Linux, you'll also need to be a bit pickier about your graphics card. While the driver situation has improved a LOT since 2004, there are still occasional sticking points with some cards or with specific versions of a certain driver. It's just something you'll want to research before buying to make sure you're going to get the best performance and stability for your money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_gaming
http://happypenguin.org/
Well like Sitwon basically said... You should consider if that additional headache is worth saving... How much does Windows 7 cost again? (OEM and retail, I ask because I only know the prices in my country, which are overinflated, overpriced and you know the drill. On a sidenote, if you thought Macs were overpriced in America...)
If you want to run a majority of Windows games under Linux, Wine could assist. Not all games play flawlessly; some have graphic issues, freeze mid-way, or won't run at all. Your other option is buying a copy of Win7, Vista, or XP and dual-booting between Linux and Windows. That's not something we can really teach you how to do here because it's an undertaking. If that's the direction you want to go, this might help, but understand that you should do a lot more research and make sure you feel comfortable with the process before you try it out. Back up your data, too.

Steadfast Noob

2,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Partygoer 500
thanks for everything u guys said so far. so now im wondering if maybe i get the gaming desktop with windows 7 and switch my laptop to linux. is that a good idea or bad idea?

also could i get away with moving my copy of windows 7 on my laptop to a desktop that doesn't have a 0S installed? is that something that can b done? i hope its legal in the eyes of microsoft

8,500 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
n00bian god
thanks for everything u guys said so far. so now im wondering if maybe i get the gaming desktop with windows 7 and switch my laptop to linux. is that a good idea or bad idea?
Sure. I use Linux on my laptop and ti works fine for me.

n00bian god
also could i get away with moving my copy of windows 7 on my laptop to a desktop that doesn't have a 0S installed? is that something that can b done? i hope its legal in the eyes of microsoft
That probably won't work. Microsoft doesn't like when you do that and you'll probably get a message saying that your copy of Windows is not genuine.

3,800 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
n00bian god
hiya! so in my neverending quest to find a nice gaming pc for myself ive been asking myself questions abotu what i want and dont want. so when the subject of operating system came up i thought i wouldn't mind having linux. i have a non gaming laptop with windows 7. no point in having 2 windows 7s if i dont need to.

so heres teh thing. most of the game boxes i look at that show the system requirements say windows. some also say mac. i never see linux.

so is linux made to automatically be able to play any games that r for windows?
also is linux made to automatically b able to play any games that r for mac?

how do i know which games will run on linux and which wont if the games boxes never acknowledge linux?????

Short answer: No.
n00bian god

Nope, not a bad idea at all. It's easier and (can be) cheaper to upgrade a gaming desktop down the road than buying a new laptop.

Legally, once a Windows license has been applied to one computer, you're not supposed to install Windows 7 on a second with the same key. Microsoft customer support should be able to correct that for you if you tell them a technician accidentally loaded the wrong license to the wrong computer and can't return software costs. They might be willing to unregister and blacklist the license key and give you a new one for your desktop build as long as you don't continue to use Windows 7 on your laptop.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff