Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ice-Cold Pyromaniac

I have DSL internet and it has been working fine up until now. But now my downloads randomly stop or slow down. I did a Windows troubleshoot and it said something about more than one device on my network running Network Address Translation. So I did a bit of research on Google and it told me that some routers have NAT, so I figured out how to turn it off on my router.

But I'm still getting that same error message. I only have that one router. I don't know if it's important or if I'm missing something on my computer, but I'm at a loss as to what to do now. Anyone have any suggestions?
Are you using a modem and a separate router, or a modem/router in one device?

You really don't want to turn NAT off. It's pretty important for security. You don't want to be connecting directly to the internet without NAT.

Ice-Cold Pyromaniac

WhiteHatCat

You really don't want to turn NAT off. It's pretty important for security. You don't want to be connecting directly to the internet without NAT.

Modem and a separate router. And I know it is but more than one device is using it and I know if more than one device uses NAT then it causes problems.
It's important to identify if the source of the issue derives from the local machine or your network.

Do you have another machine you can use? Knowing whether or not this issue persists on other machines would be valuable information.

Ice-Cold Pyromaniac

Lraushtsen
It's important to identify if the source of the issue derives from the local machine or your network.

Do you have another machine you can use? Knowing whether or not this issue persists on other machines would be valuable information.

I have another desktop but I don't use it all that often, but I'm getting a problem error on that one too.
xx Saph
Lraushtsen

I have another desktop but I don't use it all that often, but I'm getting a problem error on that one too.

Alright. Do you know the brand and model of both your router and the modem in question? It would also be valuable to know what troubleshooting steps you've already taken to attempt to resolve the issue.

Have you already tried performing a factory reset on the modem? I'm not telling you to do that, I'm just wondering if you've already tried that.
Go into the modem, turn NAT off, go into the router, turn NAT on.

If that doesn't work call your ISP and ask them if NAT is permanently on on their modems. If it is you need to configure your router to disable NAT.
WhiteHatCat

NATs allow you to hide more internet-connected devices behind one public IP addresses, but they don't really provide security. Although some NAT setups may have some security benefits, that doesn't mean you can't get security without using a NAT. A properly configured firewall is really all you need to protect your computer.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff