Welcome to Gaia! ::

Benevolent Lunatic

9,200 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Buying RAM for old PC to give it a bit of a boost (hopefully).

Pretty sure I know what RAM I need (2GB DDR2 PC2 6400) , looking for brands or general suggestions on ordering it?

Any brands to avoid like the black plague? I've heard memory is not the place to skimp on price, but I am on a budget. I know about Kingston and Crucial, but they are a bit pricy. Was looking at one by AllComponents because the price looked reasonable. Any experience with it?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this. Apologies if I am out of order. sweatdrop

Update:
Bought Some from Crucial thru Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-OptiPlex-System-PC2-6400-NON-ECC/dp/B0049QJ16A
Feel free to tell me how much I screwed up, lol. XP
I think you could just stick with "value RAM" from the manufacturer if you want to save. I mean, if you're just buffing up your old computer, you don't have to go for name brand memory. But for what it's worth, it's usually a good idea to stay away from from sketchy, cheap third party RAM because it's an important component of your PC worth paying a little more for. Kingston / Crucial / Corsair are solid.

Aged Lunatic

Possibly worth pointing since you noted you're "on a budget", DDR2 RAM is pretty notably more expensive over DDR3 these days so, keep in mind if it won't set you back enough it won't just be simpler to start saving up for a new system.
OldBlueGenes
Buying RAM for old PC to give it a bit of a boost (hopefully).

Pretty sure I know what RAM I need (2GB DDR2 PC2 6400) , looking for brands or general suggestions on ordering it?

Any brands to avoid like the black plague? I've heard memory is not the place to skimp on price, but I am on a budget. I know about Kingston and Crucial, but they are a bit pricy. Was looking at one by AllComponents because the price looked reasonable. Any experience with it?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this. Apologies if I am out of order. sweatdrop

Kingston is kinda "ech." I've heard a lot of people say their products are not known for their longevity.

I've had good experience with Corsair, though.
Can you post your specs? I can actually *link* a few to you if you know your motherboard model.

Benevolent Lunatic

9,200 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Elocutionist 200
bhnascar
I think you could just stick with "value RAM" from the manufacturer if you want to save. I mean, if you're just buffing up your old computer, you don't have to go for name brand memory. But for what it's worth, it's usually a good idea to stay away from from sketchy, cheap third party RAM because it's an important component of your PC worth paying a little more for. Kingston / Crucial / Corsair are solid.

By "value Ram" do you mean using the same brand name as the RAM my computer is currently using? If that's the case, I would need to buy Hynix, but I've never heard of them and I can't find any 2GB sticks available from them and they seem to sell only in bulk. Or did you mean something else?

synapt
Possibly worth pointing since you noted you're "on a budget", DDR2 RAM is pretty notably more expensive over DDR3 these days so, keep in mind if it won't set you back enough it won't just be simpler to start saving up for a new system

Yeah. I work in an electronics store and have noticed the increasing price of DDR2 RAM. I'm planning to build/buy a computer sometime in the next year and a half or so, but I need to keep this one trucking until then. Was hoping to to spend maybe $50 - 60 more to that end as I only recently spent $100 to upgrade it to Windows 8 (bleck). Might be a tad unrealistic, but Idk.

Crackerjackthe4th
Kingston is kinda "ech." I've heard a lot of people say their products are not known for their longevity.

I've had good experience with Corsair, though.
Can you post your specs? I can actually *link* a few to you if you know your motherboard model.

Okay. I'll be wary of Kingston then and keep that in mind.
Eh... I popped open my PC to try and find the model number of my MB but couldn't find it. I think its next to the chipset (and therefor hidden by the fan(?) and I can't be arsed to take it apart. So. I ran Speccy and if THAT is correct then...the manufacturer is Dell and the model number is OKP561. Were there other specs that you wanted?

I ran some tools at both Kingston and Crucial and came up with a couple (what seemed to me like different) results. Not sure what numbers and letters I should be looking at. XP

New question: How important is the Mhz of the RAM? Isn't it going to be limited by the clockspeed of the CPU - especially on an older PC.
RAM can technically only give a small boost. Your best option to see a very cost effective performance boost is still using an SSD over a mechanical disk drive.

Benevolent Lunatic

9,200 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Elocutionist 200
daredevil_keiji
RAM can technically only give a small boost. Your best option to see a very cost effective performance boost is still using an SSD over a mechanical disk drive.

Even an inexpensive ssd with less than half the storage that I need is going to set me back $100 - $200. Also, as I understand it, a drive is only going to really boost the loading of applications and startup. Those aren't exactly speedy, but they don't bother me much. Of course, a solid state drive will help with the speed of virtual memory, but if I have more RAM, won't I be having to use virtual memory less?

My biggest problem seems to be when trying to do multiple things at once like have Word open and watch a youtube video OR god forbid I have a flash game running. Serious lag there. And OMG my anti-virus updating...ugh. Also when I check my memory usage it is regularly pushing its way up to my 2GB limit. Haven't 100% ruled out the possibility of a memory leak, but I don't think that's it. I also don't think a virus is eating up my memory since I clean installed Win 8 only a month or so ago. I realize upgrading my 32-bit OS to 4GB of RAM is only going to really allow me access to 3.2 GB of memory, but I figure its got to help some, right?

I'd really like an SSD, and I aim to get one on my next PC, but I don't think its going to give me immediate relief. Could be wrong, though. Thoughts?
OldBlueGenes
daredevil_keiji

Even an inexpensive ssd with less than half the storage that I need is going to set me back $100 - $200. Also, as I understand it, a drive is only going to really boost the loading of applications and startup. Those aren't exactly speedy, but they don't bother me much. Of course, a solid state drive will help with the speed of virtual memory, but if I have more RAM, won't I be having to use virtual memory less?

Well, when you stated your computer needed a "boost", it was kind of a broad term, so I assumed start-up times, data retrieval etc.

You gotta realize too that if your currently running applications exceed the current limit of your RAM, it uses the Paging File to make up the difference, with a currently mechanical drive, it is significantly slower to read/write than your RAM. So in essence, a paging file within an SSD is still better than a paging file in a mechanical drive in the strict terms of performance.

But of course I'm getting a bit deeper there, if you are sure that the culprit is that your RAM capacity is frequently hitting limits, then of course additional RAM would be a suitable solution.

Also, SSDs have gone down in price in the past few months. What most people do is use that as the primary boot/app drive then store all the data in a separate mechanical drive.

Quote:

My biggest problem seems to be when trying to do multiple things at once like have Word open and watch a youtube video OR god forbid I have a flash game running. Serious lag there. And OMG my anti-virus updating...ugh. Also when I check my memory usage it is regularly pushing its way up to my 2GB limit. Haven't 100% ruled out the possibility of a memory leak, but I don't think that's it. I also don't think a virus is eating up my memory since I clean installed Win 8 only a month or so ago. I realize upgrading my 32-bit OS to 4GB of RAM is only going to really allow me access to 3.2 GB of memory, but I figure its got to help some, right?

Memory leaks isn't as huge of a problem with most modern applications since they are tested for that upon release. An additional 2GB should give you more headroom which means it should be able to support more applications currently open before slowing down.

Quote:

I'd really like an SSD, and I aim to get one on my next PC, but I don't think its going to give me immediate relief. Could be wrong, though. Thoughts?

As stated above, it boils down to your paging file, in terms of performance, an SSD is significantly faster than a standard mechanical drive, so data derived from an SSD paging file is still faster than a data derived from the paging file of a mechanical drive. For your purpose though, just buy the extra 2GB, considering it is under $50 for a solution.

Trust me, once you've seen how fast everything loads and gets retrieved on an SSD, you will likely never go back to a mechanical drive.
OldBlueGenes
How important is the Mhz of the RAM? Isn't it going to be limited by the clockspeed of the CPU - especially on an older PC.

You know, I'm surprised I never thought about this before. Googling around a bit, I found this explanation, which makes sense to me. So it looks like, yes, your CPU can bottleneck your RAM.

You basically need to figure out what's the slowest component, and what you want to compare are the internal clock speeds of the CPU and the RAM before the multiplier. To use the example from the link I gave you, a 1600Mhz RAM with a 8x multiplier would have an internal clock speed of 200Mhz. A i5 running at 3.6Ghz with a multiplier of 36 would have an internal clock speed of 100Mz. So in this case, the CPU is the bottleneck.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff