Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Lunatic

I'm about to buy a new pc with window 8 pre installed on it and wanted to downgrade to Windows 7, since I hate what they did with Windows 8 and I wanted to get some opinions on this. Is this a good idea, or should I just put up with the Windows 8 layout?
Many things people disliked about 8 was fixed in the free 8.1 update.

You can read about the 8.1 update here, here, and here. You can also read about the update that was pushed out today here.

If you hunger for the real start menu, then you can get Classic Shell (free), or the much better StartIsBack ($2.99).

Though luckily for many Windows 8.1 users the real start menu, by Microsoft, will be added in a later update. You can read about it here.

Personally I would go for Windows 8 because it has some improvements that I enjoy.

Examples:

Overhaul on the Task Manager

The task manager defaults to display a simple view which only displays a list of computer programs with a window. The expanded view is an updated version of the previous Task Managers with several tabs.

Increased startup time

Windows 8 defaults to a "hybrid boot" mode; when the operating system is shut down, it hibernates the kernel, allowing for a faster boot on the subsequent startup.

Recovery tools

New recovery tools which allow a user to re-install Windows without needing to use installation media; both of these options reboot the system into the Windows Recovery Environment to perform the requested operation. The refresh option preserves user profiles, settings, and apps. The reset option reformats the system partition and re-installs the operating system entirely.

More Security

Windows 8 supports the secure boot mechanism on supported UEFI systems. It uses a public-key infrastructure process to verify the integrity of the Windows boot loader, which prevents malware from infecting the system before the operating system loads.

Resource Management

Windows 8 has better memory management, both with RAM and VRAM. When Windows 7 was released the system used 504 MB of RAM with 32 processes on a certain system, when SP1 was released it dropped to 404 MB with 32 processes on the same system. Again on the same system, after installing Windows 8, memory usage dropped to 281 MB.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
There are no advantages of 8 over 7. Eight is ugly, bloated garbage that doesn't even come with the old Solitaire and Minesweeper games preinstalled. If you want to downgrade to 7, you need to buy a full installation CD off eBay, then FDISK your HDD and install.
Scarred Sword Heart
There are no advantages of 8 over 7. Eight is ugly, bloated garbage that doesn't even come with the old Solitaire and Minesweeper games preinstalled. If you want to downgrade to 7, you need to buy a full installation CD off eBay, then FDISK your HDD and install.

Not to mention disable secure boot and enable legacy
ll Prince Ayan ll
I'm about to buy a new pc with window 8 pre installed on it and wanted to downgrade to Windows 7, since I hate what they did with Windows 8 and I wanted to get some opinions on this. Is this a good idea, or should I just put up with the Windows 8 layout?

I see no reason honestly to downgrade to Windows 7. Many of the things that were complained about in Windows 8 were addressed in 8.1. What's even better is that in win 8.1 update 2 you will be getting back the classic start menu.

You really DO get used to win 8.1 pretty quickly. The file management is worlds better on 8.1 than it is on 7.

That being said I do like windows 7 a lot... but it is time to move on!
Scarred Sword Heart
Eight is ugly, bloated garbage that doesn't even come with the old Solitaire and Minesweeper games preinstalled.
That is a selling point now?

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Well... if you enjoy playing games, it is. smile
Scarred Sword Heart
Well... if you enjoy playing games, it is. smile

Try again hun
Please step off the band waggon

Quotable Lunatic

Thanks for all the helpful input. I'll stick with Windows 8, thanks

High-functioning Lunatic

nothing....my father bought a Win8 and I'm constantly doing work on it, and I hate the damn thing. I hate it more than Vista and I didn't think it was possible for me to hate an OS more than I hated Vista.

XP a good thing, made a baby with Vista which was an annoying thing, and the baby was beautiful Win7, then Microsoft decided to make the abomination Win8. I'm waiting for Win9 to come out.

but if you're thinking about down grading...eh... if you had strong preferences to XP and 7 then downgrade, if you don't really care then stick with 8.

As much as I hate it...I still have to learn to use it and use it. So I really can not complain...they're not going to give us Win7 back so...whatever.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff