Welcome to Gaia! ::

Well my friend has a power supply that produces an acidy smell I have no clue what it is but sometimes it bugs out. scream
Generally smells coming from computers isn't good at all.

Smells are useally produced when somthing has or is vaporized, you might wanna check to make sure there isn't too much dust in that PSU and make sure the fan is working.

Othewise somthing might be burning or about to blow up.
New PSU is on its way but I just wanted to know what would cause the acidy smell the fans are running fine and every thing seems ok. Runs a little hot. I think he might have overloaded it or something.
extra cooling fans and such could always help
Most likely had too much power for the comp...at one time or other..
a can of air could help to clean out all the dust.
is your friend trying to overclock the computer? thast might put a strain on the power supply . . .
umm just to let all you guys know the acidy smell that comes from the PSU (which for those of you who dont know, is in the back of you PC). The PSU usually only emits this smell if it is working too hard or if it is fried.

Also it is very dangerous to breathe in the smell so if you are going to check for the acid smell sniff once or twice and no more if you can help it.

If you are smelling it from a distance dont worry it will have no effect on your body.
Um, Yeah, this is bad. I recommend you take this in a get a new Powersupply Imediately. It sounds as if one of the conductors in the powersupply have broken and is leeking.

If something goes horribly wrong, it could surge and fry his motherboard. Take this in to a local Computer Repair shop ASAP or, if you're that knowlageable, buy a new one anc change it your'selves.
That acid smell is probably one of the transformers in the power supply getting ready to completely cook. It's a good thing that a new PSU has been ordered, because the old one is on its last legs.

It would also be a good idea to get a can of air and blow the old PSU out, because if it does overheat there will be less chance of a dust fire if you've cleaned it out beforehand.

I'm not saying that it is going to burn. But, you know, just in case.

Your friend might want to spend a lot less time on the computer until his new PSU comes in.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff