< 1 2 3

The Spectrum
Captain Talavar
The Spectrum
Hmmmm.... No.

Yes, actually.

Quote:
The show wasn't close to comics.

In the costume department alone it was the closest attempt to replicating the comic imagery. They even used the sound effects for god's sake. If you don't think the 60s Batman show was close to the Batman comics, you clearly aren't enough of a Batman fan to know that there were a ton of Batman comics just like that.

Quote:
What about all the recent Batman movies? Even the slightly older ones?

Not as close to the comics as the 60s show. Granted, at that time the comics had gotten darker. But at the time the 60s show aired? It was almost perfectly accurate.

Quote:
The campy one failed.

The TV series was a major hit and is still a cultural milestone. Ask any stranger on the street to sing or hum "the Batman theme" ambiguously, and chances are they'll bring out the "Nananananananana BATMAN!" Heck, that show is part of the reason Batman's villains are so well known. I don't know how the movie fared, but without that show, Batman may not be the media juggernaut it is today.

Quote:
The batman comics did not involve Batman saying "Good golly Robin, l think I know who the villain is! Let's make a plan!"

You haven't read many old Batman comics have you?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quote:
And you're saying that all Batman comics were like the campy show until Frank Miller?
Wow. That's basically what you just said in your last line.

Learn to read. I said that Batman comics didn't start with Frank Miller and that it wasn't always a "dark" and "serious" series. Of course they weren't all like the TV show until Frank Miller. Writers like Steve Englehart and Denny O'Neil got that ball rolling before Miller showed up. And the very early comics from Bob Kane and Bill Finger were darker. But it didn't take long for things to get light-hearted and campy. Robin made his first appearance in Detective Comics #38. Batman first appeared in #27. Do the math.

Quote:
It wasn't always "dark and serious" but it wasn't always "Campy and jolly" either.

Of course not. But as you just demonstrated a few sentences ago, you seem to think it was never campy like the TV show at all. And that's just plain bullshit.

You certainly put a lot of effort into this.
Instead of individually quoting every line, I'll just respond in order.
No, actually.
So you say it was the closest to comics because of the costume?
You clearly aren't a Batman fan.
I said the campy one failed as in failing to portray Batman properly.
Having a catchy theme doesn't change that.
Most people who sing the theme song have never seen the show.
I don't think that's why the villains are known at all.
Obviously it added a little bit to that, since it's a Batman show.
Batman would most likely be "the media juggernaut it is today."
But that's my word against yours.
Are you incapable of reading?
Obviously Robin said those things, I said "BATMAN SAYING . . ."
I've read some old comics, actually. Have you?
LOL, now it's I who must learn to read. I read your comment well, I paraphrased it and simplified it. smile
And you yourself agreed that Batman comics have been dark for a long time, even since the beginning.
They introduced Robin to make Batman a bit lighter and not as dark and scary. This was not the same as having Batman jump around and saying "Good golly Robin, l think I know who the villain is! Let's make a plan!"
No, now you need to read- AGAIN.
You said I need to learn to read for changing what you said but keeping the same meaning.
That's what you are doing now.
Obviously at some point in comics it might have been a bit lighter, but not mainly.
Give me a Batman comic where it's pretty much the same as the campy show?
Now get off the forum. This thread is about Aquaman, not Batman.

It's amazing how wrong you are. You're like The Black Knight from Monty Python. I've severed all your limbs and you still think you have a fighting chance.

In short, you have no clue what you're talking about, and everyone around here knows it.

Cosmogonal Cultist

33,915 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
The Spectrum
The Iron Magus
The Spectrum
The Iron Magus
Well, people would probably think the same about Batman, if we hadn't had any TV shows or movies about him since the Adam West show. So I guess to change people's mind, we need a badass Aquaman movie.

Well, no.
Batman was actually darker than that.
The campy Batman TV series was one of my adaptations. It was the goofy kid-friendly version.
TV shows and movies aren't what changed the idea of him.
Comics are what he started in, and comics are what he's still in.
In comics he wasn't as shown in that 1966 movie.
An Aquaman movie wouldn't flourish. He doesn't have that great of a storyline to his deep sea adventures for a movie. Well, I guess he actually does.
Your comment did not apply to my original post.
You answered the question which had not been proposed: "How do we make people think Aquaman is awesome?" Is a question you answered.
I asked why people dislike him.
Aquaman wasn't involved in Batman: The Movie (1966).
No one would think the same about Batman because of that old TV show, by the way.

Well, I can certainly speculate about why people might dislike you. neutral

I was under the impression that this was a discussion, rather than an interrogation. I can see I was mistaken.

LOL.
An interrogation? No, not even in the slightest bit.
I replied to your post, which lacked some information.
I can say I see why people might dislike you[/] as well. neutral
You weren't mistaken.
If you're going to reply to a topic with a question, try having proper information.

You're right. My information was just terrible. I'm so ashamed I tried to talk to you with such terribly insufficient information.

Clearly, you win the discussion. It was obviously an awful mistake for me to try to engage you in conversation. Don't worry, it won't happen again.

Greedy Explorer

5,150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Profitable 100
Captain Talavar
The Spectrum
Captain Talavar
The Spectrum
Hmmmm.... No.

Yes, actually.

Quote:
The show wasn't close to comics.

In the costume department alone it was the closest attempt to replicating the comic imagery. They even used the sound effects for god's sake. If you don't think the 60s Batman show was close to the Batman comics, you clearly aren't enough of a Batman fan to know that there were a ton of Batman comics just like that.

Quote:
What about all the recent Batman movies? Even the slightly older ones?

Not as close to the comics as the 60s show. Granted, at that time the comics had gotten darker. But at the time the 60s show aired? It was almost perfectly accurate.

Quote:
The campy one failed.

The TV series was a major hit and is still a cultural milestone. Ask any stranger on the street to sing or hum "the Batman theme" ambiguously, and chances are they'll bring out the "Nananananananana BATMAN!" Heck, that show is part of the reason Batman's villains are so well known. I don't know how the movie fared, but without that show, Batman may not be the media juggernaut it is today.

Quote:
The batman comics did not involve Batman saying "Good golly Robin, l think I know who the villain is! Let's make a plan!"

You haven't read many old Batman comics have you?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quote:
And you're saying that all Batman comics were like the campy show until Frank Miller?
Wow. That's basically what you just said in your last line.

Learn to read. I said that Batman comics didn't start with Frank Miller and that it wasn't always a "dark" and "serious" series. Of course they weren't all like the TV show until Frank Miller. Writers like Steve Englehart and Denny O'Neil got that ball rolling before Miller showed up. And the very early comics from Bob Kane and Bill Finger were darker. But it didn't take long for things to get light-hearted and campy. Robin made his first appearance in Detective Comics #38. Batman first appeared in #27. Do the math.

Quote:
It wasn't always "dark and serious" but it wasn't always "Campy and jolly" either.

Of course not. But as you just demonstrated a few sentences ago, you seem to think it was never campy like the TV show at all. And that's just plain bullshit.

You certainly put a lot of effort into this.
Instead of individually quoting every line, I'll just respond in order.
No, actually.
So you say it was the closest to comics because of the costume?
You clearly aren't a Batman fan.
I said the campy one failed as in failing to portray Batman properly.
Having a catchy theme doesn't change that.
Most people who sing the theme song have never seen the show.
I don't think that's why the villains are known at all.
Obviously it added a little bit to that, since it's a Batman show.
Batman would most likely be "the media juggernaut it is today."
But that's my word against yours.
Are you incapable of reading?
Obviously Robin said those things, I said "BATMAN SAYING . . ."
I've read some old comics, actually. Have you?
LOL, now it's I who must learn to read. I read your comment well, I paraphrased it and simplified it. smile
And you yourself agreed that Batman comics have been dark for a long time, even since the beginning.
They introduced Robin to make Batman a bit lighter and not as dark and scary. This was not the same as having Batman jump around and saying "Good golly Robin, l think I know who the villain is! Let's make a plan!"
No, now you need to read- AGAIN.
You said I need to learn to read for changing what you said but keeping the same meaning.
That's what you are doing now.
Obviously at some point in comics it might have been a bit lighter, but not mainly.
Give me a Batman comic where it's pretty much the same as the campy show?
Now get off the forum. This thread is about Aquaman, not Batman.

It's amazing how wrong you are. You're like The Black Knight from Monty Python. I've severed all your limbs and you still think you have a fighting chance.

In short, you have no clue what you're talking about, and everyone around here knows it.

It's amazing how wrong YOU are.
This post you just made proves it.
You literally had no argument left and just posted this.
I've severed all of YOUR limbs, considering my argument was the one that was valid and yours failed.
You really fail, bro.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces