Welcome to Gaia! ::

Have any of you ever roleplayed as a comic book character? If so, for how long, and how was your experience?

Original Phantom

10,850 Points
  • 1 Win 50
  • Guildmember 100
  • Gaian 50
Haha oh my yes. Been RPing since 2003. I love my comic book guild. We have a few regulars who are amazing RPers. I think the trouble with finding a good group is that some people RP who they want the character to be and not who the character actually is. I've been guilty of that too, but I guess experience and practice make your RP skills better and of course more fun to work with!

(Btw, we're always looking for more people wink )
I've GM'ed a superhero-based tabletop RPG. Set the players up against the Thunderbolts. Quite good fun, actually planning another soon.
JauntyGhost
Haha oh my yes. Been RPing since 2003. I love my comic book guild. We have a few regulars who are amazing RPers. I think the trouble with finding a good group is that some people RP who they want the character to be and not who the character actually is. I've been guilty of that too, but I guess experience and practice make your RP skills better and of course more fun to work with!

(Btw, we're always looking for more people wink )

I've been roleplaying for a good two years. I caught on quickly, since I'm an english major. I have a guild of my own: DC Universe Elite. It's a bit different than most guilds. We actually cosplay as the role we choose, at all times. Towns, forums, comments, etc. We RP pretty much everywhere. We call ourselves the "DC Community." It's been a blast so far. We're always looking for new members as well.
Grimesby
I've GM'ed a superhero-based tabletop RPG. Set the players up against the Thunderbolts. Quite good fun, actually planning another soon.

Y'know, I've never actually played a tabletop RPG. I know they have some places in my area that host events and such, but I know nothing of the craft. I'd probably fail horribly at it.

Tipsy Senshi

18,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Stellar Lieutenant 200
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
DC Emperor Joker
Grimesby

Y'know, I've never actually played a tabletop RPG. I know they have some places in my area that host events and such, but I know nothing of the craft. I'd probably fail horribly at it.

If you find the right group its not so much of a problem, because even if you end up doing stupid s**t you'll still laugh and have fun. Heck, sometimes being the character that constantly fails is fun. I've done a character like that on puprose once and to be honest it was one of the best times I've had table top gaming. Poor little guy tried so very hard at everything he did, and never even gave a second thought to all his failures and thought he was the greatest thing ever.

If you can find the right group.

Nerd

7,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Survivor 150
I do from time to time....
However my partners aren't really any good....or I just end up calling it quits because I have too much work

Original Phantom

10,850 Points
  • 1 Win 50
  • Guildmember 100
  • Gaian 50
I dunno, I have trouble RPing in real life.
{• ◊ Sweet dreams that ♥ won't come true... ◊ • }

Yes! I joined a guild in February just for DC comic characters,
and have been having a blast playing as Harley Q. :] The other members are also splendid writers, so that just makes things even better.

While things haven't been very active lately, it's still a dream for me to be able to write as Harley, as she is probably my favorite character.

- - - ________________ { I leave them all for you } ________________ - - -
Jackie-senpai
DC Emperor Joker

If you find the right group its not so much of a problem, because even if you end up doing stupid s**t you'll still laugh and have fun. Heck, sometimes being the character that constantly fails is fun. I've done a character like that on puprose once and to be honest it was one of the best times I've had table top gaming. Poor little guy tried so very hard at everything he did, and never even gave a second thought to all his failures and thought he was the greatest thing ever.

If you can find the right group.

Quite right. Not all groups are super-serious or expect you to be experienced. Also, different games have different levels of difficulty. The official Marvel RPG, for example, is a lot simpler than, say, D&D.
Actually I tend to dabble in game design and after stumbling on a program (an online tabletop essentially, with servers full of players) learned of a different type of "living campaign" format they call a persistant world.

Think of it like a mix of a MUD-style game and a pen and paper gaming session. Basically there's a staff of 2-5 GMs and they each run a storyline in the given setting's universe. Outside of this, players can RP with each other and accrue small amounts of experience whenever they have another person to jump in-character with an RP with via text postings. There are also systems in the works related to various settings that give players other things to do without GM presence as well. The Pokemon setting created let people run pokemon hunts for one another daily (with obvious limits to prevent people just spamming and ruining any kind of game balance).

I've actually (in the past) designed a Marvel setting for these persistant worlds, and I'm currently designing a more homebrew setting of the super-hero variety. The issue with Marvel and DC as a setting was that the players sometimes complained that they felt a bit obsolete because "Why worry about saving the world if Superman can just do it". It was a dumb reason to complain, since that hasn't stopped hundreds of comics from existing outside of Superman, but I felt it was a good chance to try my hand at creating my own setting.
I did a horribly evil Twoface once that had people reeling after he came off as a 2 obsessed loon, but then murdered nearly everyone in the story, and punched out his wife Gilda because she wouldn't let him near their daughter. Also a couple Jokers, I want to do Batman sometime.

Aged Sex Symbol

To be honest, my experience was disappointing. I mean, I do love Marvel and DC... But does it hurt to want some originality? Every single roleplay I've been in, was usually a Marvel or DC genre. There's nothing wrong with that, for God's sake, I'm working owning a Comic Book shop. I've seen characters plagerisng everything from a hero. Sometimes their so original that they're powers don't make sense. Influence is key. I don't know, I could go on with this rant, but I could go on for hours.

Devoted Member

I never really got into it. I have tried but either it was not for me or the people I was going to game with were not really cool about helping me understand things.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff