Welcome to Gaia! ::

Spawn. 4laugh
Personally I have been reading Swamp Thing and All Star Western. Its not that I dont like the typical "capes" its just that these two happen to operate in ways that Superman never could.
The Sandman, definitely.
I know some people who, despite not really being into comics, absolutely loved it.
I really like Deadpool. It's actually what I started out with.

If you end up really liking comics you should check out Marvel Unlimited.
i would say all-new x-men is a great jumping on point for new readers, especially those who enjoy x-men comics. the current x-men title written by brian wood is fairly decent as well. there are a lot of new #1 issues about to start which are by definition good jumping on points. i use comiclist.com to see what comics will be released each week so take a look at it to find things you might be interested in.

Superior Spider-Man is fun on the bun. Each story arc raises the tension and has tons of material to follow, from the main book to the x-overs and Superior Spider-Man team up. A lot of people hate it, but an equal amount love it.

DnA's Guardians of the Galaxy is among the best runs the series has ever had. It's tough to write for Marvel's cosmic side, but when it's done right, its done right.

Jim Starlin's Adam Warlock series and Thanos stories are what made cosmic Marvel great. Warlock explores aspects of life, not limited to life, death, purpose, identity, and the abstract

Johns' Booster Gold series is a lot of fun, poking fun at the time line while having a light-hearted tone. Booster Gold, the greatest hero you've never heard of.

Leo's Princess

Starlight

gaia_crown
tbh, i found the easiest way to start to comprehend comics and the storylines is to start with television shows.
It often helps you narrow down what you want to read about.
I actually started with Young Justice and s**t just spun out of control from there.
Once you latch on to a character or a certain setting, like Gotham or what have you, it's a lot easier to build outward into things you like.

My pull started with like three comics, I now have way too many. urgh.

Witty Lunatic

Basically the issue with any superheroe focused comic is there are almost always major events that occur periodically that require you to buy side issues and spin-offs to fully understand. I can recommend STORY ARCS all day but if you're looking for a hero or heroine that is solely linear I don't think you'll find anything.

I think the best one I could suggest is Ultimate Spider-Man. It's one of the best comic series written by one of the greatest writers in my opinion and it's almost completely self-contained within itself with the exception of the Ultimatum event which is around 120 issues in. It's really brilliant and a great way to get into reading Spidey.

Witty Lunatic

Khaleesi of the Dragon
I suggest trying some graphic novels that aren't just superhero stuff. Locke & Key and The Sandman are ******** awesome.

Locke & Key is fantastic if you're looking for something non-cape related.

Dapper Genius

Daredevil
Hawkeye
Superior Spider-Man (and/or Superior Foes of Spider-Man)
The Sandman
Sex Criminals
Rocket Girl
Afterlife with Archie
East of West
God is Dead
Saga
Kill Shakespeare
Locke & Key
Sweet Tooth
The Manhattan Projects
Swamp Thing
Old Man Logan is an excellent graphic novel. MARVEL Superhero Civil War is fantastic. The Batman KNIGHTFALL series is one of my faves. Spider-man: Back in Black is a great series. There's a ton more, but those make excellent starters.

Wealthy Millionaire

5,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I recommend Batman by Scott Snyder, Deathstroke from DC and from Marvel comics Iron Man, Deadpool, Venom, Uncanny X-force.
If you're a fan of Thrillers and total mind-boggling stuff, Bedlam is the way to go. It's not too far off in issues, and there's a trade out for it already, covering the first arc. The second arc isn't done yet, so catching up won't be a problem. It's my absolute favorite series so far, other than The Power of Shazam! and Superman: Birthright/Allstar. I'm not a big fan of the New 52 stuff, especially with how they really nerfed Captain Marvel gonk .

Quantum and Woody, the reboot, is pretty good too. The worst superheroes by far, but simply hilarious.

Dapper Genius

6,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trader 100
  • Hygienic 200
corrautore
Hwy all. Long story short, I'm a nerd/geek/what have you who, for some odd reason, never really got into comic books beyond dabbling with X-Men and the various spinoffs. I want to get into comics since I know there is a lot I would enjoy, but I really don't know where to start since X-Men is all I really know a good amount about and the brand has way too many comic series to keep up with.
I signed up to ComiXology. Now I would like some help picking a well told, linear superhero series to check out, something that does not branch off into other series to fully enjoy it.
I'm not picky. I just want something good, so what comic series should I start reading to get into the whole comic book reading thing?

while it's not the most "linear" superhero stories, it has long since ended and is one of my all time favorites.... and that is Alan Moore's TOM STRONG.

Friendly Phantom

13,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
Addendum to my original post:
I don't know WHY I didn't suggest this in my original post, because it's literally my favorite series going, but Injustice is just absolutely incredible. Yet, it's related to the video game, and it takes place before it, in the timeline, but the comic is just so fantastic. And it may still be ongoing, but I believe it's a monthly right now so it gives you time to catch up and try other things, too. And it's not in normal continuity, being in it's own continuity, so you wouldn't have to read other comics to get the full story. <3(I guess it's basically an elseworlds?)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff