Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Elocutionist

Apparently I'm not a real comic fan because my tits nullify my mass quantities of comics, both electronic and physical.
I strongly urge everyone to boycott his work.
I also encourage female cosplayers to piss him off by standing near his booth and spreading the word on his misogynistic commentary regarding female cosplayers:

User Image

Versatile Receiver

He posted this later too, which didn't help his case at all. On the bright side a lot of other comic creators on twitter responded really negatively to what he said and it sort of sparked cosplay appreciation so that was neat to see.

This is really disappointing. I like his art a lot and I like a lot of series he's worked on, but I don't really want to support him any more with views like that :/

Liberal Elocutionist

I've only seen Matt Fraction's response (as far as people within the comic industry go. Tumblr has jumped all over Harris), and I can honestly say that I am very proud of Fraction standing by women cosplayers.
I don't own any of Harris' works nor will I now that I've seen this.
Harris' response to the criticism he has received is childish, and he is actually playing the victim and does not understand what he said that was so offensive.
Also, the comments section of that first status was deplorable.

On the same topic, Mark Millar is another misogynistic b*****d who will never receive my support, as he has called Lois Lane a slut and even pitched a comic about the rape of Wonder Woman.
This greatly upsets me as he has several comics that I previously had on my list of comics to buy.

Liberal Elocutionist

Geek culture is inclusive.
It's supposed to embrace all who enter.
"True fans" vs. "fake fans" and the notion that women aren't allowed to be geeks is ******** ridiculous, and I'll combat those claims until the day I die if I must.
This man clearly hasn't gotten out of his mancave in years.

Liberal Elocutionist

Certainly he has committed professional suicide.

Perfect Hunter

9,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
A bit of a douche, yeah. I mostly feel for his co-creators on past and current projects that will suffer setbacks as a result of his words and the fallout.

Liberal Elocutionist

It is an unfortunate setback for his co-workers, however it will also encourage employers not to invest money in Tony Harris.

Tipsy Senshi

18,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Stellar Lieutenant 200
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
I greatly enjoyed Gail Simone's response to this whole mess, instead of getting upset about it she decided to make a cosplay appreciation day on her tumblr. Not to say that I don't feel that the guy deserves all the criticism being heaped on to him, but I like that at least one person decided to do something positive instead.

Witty Phantom

Wow. = - = So, if I want to cosplay as a comic book character I really like and who just so happens to wear a skimpy costume, I'm a fake and ugly?

I'll be frank, I'm very pretty and I am very nice. I am nice because I like being nice, not because I'm a shallow bimbo who wants D. I wll not lie, there are women who are both very pretty, yet very mean and vindictive. But those are the ones you want to stay away from.
But, okay, Tony.
We'll see who's laughing when I'm NOT buying your s**t. ********' BIIIITCH. = w =

Is there a link to the argument? Or has it been deleted?

Codebreaking Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
What I took away from this is... Tony Harris tried to nail a cosplayer, got turned down, and is now bitching about cosplaying ladies not being real fans because of the butt hurt.

And yes, I'll now be avoiding projects where he's attached. What a douche.

Tipsy Senshi

18,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Stellar Lieutenant 200
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
Eternal Marionetta
Wow. = - = So, if I want to cosplay as a comic book character I really like and who just so happens to wear a skimpy costume, I'm a fake and ugly?

I'll be frank, I'm very pretty and I am very nice. I am nice because I like being nice, not because I'm a shallow bimbo who wants D. I wll not lie, there are women who are both very pretty, yet very mean and vindictive. But those are the ones you want to stay away from.
But, okay, Tony.
We'll see who's laughing when I'm NOT buying your s**t. ********' BIIIITCH. = w =

Don't forget, it also makes you a whore! emotion_awesome

Witty Phantom

Jackie-senpai
Eternal Marionetta

But, okay, Tony.

THEN A WHORE I SHALL BE.

Tipsy Senshi

18,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Stellar Lieutenant 200
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
Eternal Marionetta
Jackie-senpai
Eternal Marionetta

But, okay, Tony.

THEN A WHORE I SHALL BE.

I just find it stupid that women are getting slammed for dressing up as superheroes in skimpy/seductive costumes because, ya know, US WOMENFOLK ARE GIVEN SO MANY OPTIONS.
The way I see it, non-geeks entering the geek culture and becoming geeks themselves is a good thing, not a bad thing. It's a victory for us geeks, a sign that being a geek isn't lame and isn't stupid.

I understand the knee-jerk reaction to people perceived as "fake geeks" a little bit, but I disagree with it. It's kind of like The Little Rascals movie when they started letting girls into their boys club. Why should geeks let them into their club when they wouldn't let geeks into their club? The thing is, doing the same thing back only makes you just as bad as they are. If you don't like what they do, don't repeat it. Being an a** and not including new people only reinforces negative stereotypes, and that's the last thing we need.

NOW...Introducing sexist misogynistic crap into it? That's just...that's bullshit, and I really don't think I need to explain why. It's really plain and simple.

So yeah. If he was just like "I don't like fake geeks" then it'd be lame, but I'd understand. Bringing a sexist element to it just demolishes the whole thing before it even has a chance to sound reasonable. There's already a sort of stigma within geek culture when it comes to women, and s**t like this doesn't help. It's disgusting.

It's a shame, too. I was looking forward to that new JSA: Liberty Files mini-series. Now I'll have this in the back of my mind if I should decide to check it out. I don't like introducing the personal beliefs of an artist into my decision to buy their work, but it's hard to support someone with such beliefs.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff