Welcome to Gaia! ::

What a douche. Well, he can go on my shitlist. I feel sorry for all quality people who'll get shunned now because they worked with him before his little bitchfit.

I don't think he'll have to worry about seeing all the cosplaying girls at conventions anymore, he's probably worked his last.
ajsnoopy
A side note: what happened with Frank Miller? neutral a

Frank Miller was a master in the 80's and early-90's. Now he seems to write everything as if it were Sin City... his 2000's-era Batman stuff takes a dump on the stuff he revolutionized.

More importantly, I find his stuff now to feel rather misogynistic, but most of all, he's an outright racist particularly against Muslims (hence his last graphic novel, Holy Terror; which was previously supposed to be Batman vs Al-Qaeda). He made a rant against the Occupy movement last year, imploring protesters to join the military and focus on the real enemy, "al-Qaeda and Islamicism".

Liberal Elocutionist

Holy ********.
And therein lies more social problems within the industry, besides sexism.
Thanks for the heads up.

Everyone who hasn't faced the whole "true fan interrogation" is lucky.

And as far as banning that one dirtbag goes, he doesn't have a pull list, so she couldn't flag him that way.
Also, she's moving to another state in a few weeks so she wouldn't be able to point him out unless he comes back in while she's working fairly soon.
I am really thankful that the owner of the store I buy my comics from is willing to promote feminism by hosting parties that celebrate female characters, artists, writers, fans, etc.
He even invites female business owners to come sell their wares at booths outside the shop on these evenings.
It's great fun and had he been there when that guy was being rude to my friend, the jerk wouldn't have been in the store very long.
Captain Mantis
ajsnoopy
Captain Mantis

Nothing that I've found.
Mark Miller, on the other hand, once joked about pitching The Rape of Wonder Woman and called Lois Lane a slut.
He is another asshat on my shitlist forever.
Just looked Millar up; interesting fact that both he and Harris were both born in 1969. :la Man...Why would such an idea even pop into his head as a 'good' comic book storyline? Sick and twisted is what he is. DX

It's all over the industry, even though DC is taking most of the fire for sexism lately.
They don't realize that 51% of the population is female and they are missing out on a huge consumer base by alienating females with the "comics are for boys" notion.
I have been grilled so many times on my comic book knowledge just because of my gender.
One of my best friends (female) works in a comic shop and was asked if she even liked comics or if it was just a job for her, and then seemed genuinely offended when she didn't want to talk to him.
He even went to the point of implying that she was sleeping with her boss and walked out when he began asking her questions on obscure characters only to find out she knew more about those characters than he did.

UGH.
I can't even walk on campus with my Captain America shirt on without someone telling me I should read the comics if I wear the shirt.
And my response every time is "Are the tits throwing you off?"

Wow. That's awful. I hope I never see anything like that at my LCS.

If I saw a girl in a Captain America shirt walking around campus here, I'd probably have a nerdgasm that someone is wearing a Captain America shirt (I haven't seen the Cap'n on anyone's shirt around here) and geek out with her about Ed Brubaker or something.

It's a shame to see that stuff coming from DC. Some of my favorite female characters, writers, and artists have been at DC's house. Gail Simone and Amanda Conner immediately come to mind.

PrinceJello's Husband

Dedicated Genius

Shadowolf

Frank Miller was a master in the 80's and early-90's. Now he seems to write everything as if it were Sin City... his 2000's-era Batman stuff takes a dump on the stuff he revolutionized.

More importantly, I find his stuff now to feel rather misogynistic, but most of all, he's an outright racist particularly against Muslims (hence his last graphic novel, Holy Terror; which was previously supposed to be Batman vs Al-Qaeda). He made a rant against the Occupy movement last year, imploring protesters to join the military and focus on the real enemy, "al-Qaeda and Islamicism".
The Dark Knight Returns was fairly epic, for sure. Still need to see Part 1 (the animated movie)...Not a huge fan of TDKSA, sadly.

I had never heard of Holy Terror, to be honest. But I understand your dislike for that and other current works of Miller. I know writers like to broach current issues in their stories, but having it be Bats against a known terrorist group seems a bit too...specific? Sadly, sounds like he, too, has changed over the years and thus his writing, as well.

Liberal Elocutionist

I'd just like to share with the class that Kieron Gillen posted this (and part two ) on his Tumblr page and I haven't laughed so hard in a very long time.
Everyone here will appreciate it, I believe.

Perfect Hunter

9,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
Captain Mantis
I'd just like to share with the class that Kieron Gillen posted this (and part two ) on his Tumblr page and I haven't laughed so hard in a very long time.

I can't tip this enough, literally.

Liberal Elocutionist

Disa Uniflora
Captain Mantis

I can't tip this enough, literally.

Aww, thank you.
heart
ajsnoopy
Shadowolf

The Dark Knight Returns was fairly epic, for sure. Still need to see Part 1 (the animated movie)...Not a huge fan of TDKSA, sadly.

I had never heard of Holy Terror, to be honest. But I understand your dislike for that and other current works of Miller. I know writers like to broach current issues in their stories, but having it be Bats against a known terrorist group seems a bit too...specific? Sadly, sounds like he, too, has changed over the years and thus his writing, as well.

Yeah, and it's not even the specificity of the topic. I haven't read the book yet (for novelty and reference sake, if I ever see it for dirt cheap used, I will pick it up), but from all the reviews I have seen, Miller is one-sided on the issue. I could see it potentially done tastefully if it were recognized that not all Muslims are al-Qaeda, etc, and that was explored and discussed... but well, that's not how Miller does this book at all, I'm afraid. >_>
Captain Mantis

This is srsly awesome, lol

PrinceJello's Husband

Dedicated Genius

Shadowolf

Yeah, and it's not even the specificity of the topic. I haven't read the book yet (for novelty and reference sake, if I ever see it for dirt cheap used, I will pick it up), but from all the reviews I have seen, Miller is one-sided on the issue. I could see it potentially done tastefully if it were recognized that not all Muslims are al-Qaeda, etc, and that was explored and discussed... but well, that's not how Miller does this book at all, I'm afraid. >_>
So it's not even that he's targeting a terrorist group, but more or less a specific ethnic group. Well damn. Personal views like that need to be kept out of a medium such as comic books. The industry is not a political group trying to win the hearts of the people... :la
Captain Mantis

Well that's just awesome. rofl

Liberal Elocutionist

Even if Greg Land is doing the art for most of his works, everyone should at least attempt one series by Kieron Gillen.
He's a pretty powerful player in promoting feminism in his comics.

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
I have to wonder about what he says about female comic artists, and writers. Either way ******** him!

Steadfast Protector

Everything about the original topic that needed to be said has been said.

Frank Miller....
He's coasting off the recognition he got in the 80s. In the 80s, a tiny handful of stories were
written with more violence and deaths and things, more extreme than before, and some
people fricking WORSHIPPED them.

Frank Miller's DareDevil worked. His "Dark Knight Returns" was all right but HIGHLY overrated.
I read some of it and never THOUGHT of buying it. I was talked into buying Ronin 1 & 2,
and resolved to skip the rest-but DC never bothered to release 3 on its own that I saw,
just a TPB of all 3 together.

(For those wondering, the other over-rated stories besides DKR are "Killing Joke"and
"Kingdom Come"-an interesting Elseworlds, but also a rant against everything from the 70s
and 80s despite some of it being excellent. Oddly enough, people who loved "Killing Joke's"
needless violence loved Kingdom Come and its message that the same violence is unworthy.)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff