Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Member

I like going to conventions and seeing people cosplaying. It is awesome. I am thankfull for cosplayers. It makes (or should make) going to a convention fun for everybody. Skimpy clothed or fully dressed they are your favorite characters walking around and being kind enough to stop for a photo. I thank you, cosplayers. Keep making your awesome costumes and go to the conventions.

Liberal Elocutionist

Eternal Marionetta
Captain Mantis
Eternal Marionetta

I like wearing skimpy outfits because I'm proud of my body and I love my body. Yes, I am a feminist, but I'm not the "WIMMINZ R SOOPERIOR" type. I believe that we, as women, are just as capable as men and should be able to pursue whatever we desire.

Enough digression, Tony Harris had a point when he said some people (not just women do this) dress up as characters they don't have a lot of knowledge on, but he seemed to use women as an example of bad fandom. That is misogyny, Tony. We aren't just being dramatic. If you target women for something that people of both genders do, you are being a misogynist.

I agree with almost everything in this post.
However, cosplaying as a character you know little about isn't a bad thing.
Apart from the basics, I don't know much about Red She-Hulk, but I liked her character design enough to make it my Halloween costume.

I agree. If the costume is good and you put a lot of work into it, who cares if you don't know a lot about the character? If you want to learn about Red She-Hulk, you will do it on your own time and when you feel like it.

Ah.
Forgive me, I was uncertain if you were disapproving of uninformed cosplay.
That said, I do have intentions of learning more about her, I just don't have the money to funnel into comics right now, except my favorites.

Liberal Elocutionist

ScienceDog
I like going to conventions and seeing people cosplaying. It is awesome. I am thankfull for cosplayers. It makes (or should make) going to a convention fun for everybody. Skimpy clothed or fully dressed they are your favorite characters walking around and being kind enough to stop for a photo. I thank you, cosplayers. Keep making your awesome costumes and go to the conventions.

I've never been to a con, I'm not much one for large gatherings.
Being crowded is one of my least favorite things.
However, I see a lot of cosplayers at midnight premieres for movies, and that always makes me really happy.

Devoted Member

Captain Mantis
ScienceDog

However, I see a lot of cosplayers at midnight premieres for movies, and that always makes me really happy.

I am not a big fan of big crowds either but with the people in cosplay they make me happy that I showed up to a convention (or a midnight movie premier) and they are a contributing factor that makes me forget that I don't like crowds. Along with meeting an artist, author, media guest, or waiting to see a movie premier, cosplayers also make waiting in line worth it.

Liberal Elocutionist

ScienceDog
Captain Mantis
ScienceDog

I am not a big fan of big crowds either but with the people in cosplay they make me happy that I showed up to a convention (or a midnight movie premier) and they are a contributing factor that makes me forget that I don't like crowds. Along with meeting an artist, author, media guest, or waiting to see a movie premier, cosplayers also make waiting in line worth it.

Ah yes, but I get panic attacks.
They're terrible, and they feel like a heart attack.
Back in high school, my chemistry teacher wanted to do something nice and take us to an event at the school where the chorus was singing.
I was packed in a bunch of people tighter than my thighs in a pair of size 8 jeans, and passed out as a result.
I shudder to think of spending so much money to leave the middle of nowhere just to visit a convention.
Yes, I love Ed Brubaker and want his autograph on every Captain America thing I own, but if I can't even make it through the front door without seizing up, I doubt I'd make it to his booth.

So I'm content to admire far from the excitement.
It looks great, I just can't deal with massive amounts of people, for psychological reasons.
And if it were about some magical "get over it" sentiment, I'd have found that a long time ago.
But panic attacks don't work like that.
I wish they did, but they don't.
Yiiikes, I had only just heard about this last night, but wow, how extremely shocking! It's like he's gone Frank Miller =(

I have some Ex Machina graphic novels here... good thing I got 'em used for $3 each, hehe! Still, he does good art (though I think it's the colorist who really defines Ex Machina's unique look anyway), and I love Vaughan, so.... kind of a shame. Don't think I'll be supporting Harris much anymore either... I'll just have to pirate the rest of Ex Machina now.

Liberal Elocutionist

Shadowolf
Yiiikes, I had only just heard about this last night, but wow, how extremely shocking! It's like he's gone Frank Miller =(

I have some Ex Machina graphic novels here... good thing I got 'em used for $3 each, hehe! Still, he does good art (though I think it's the colorist who really defines Ex Machina's unique look anyway), and I love Vaughan, so.... kind of a shame. Don't think I'll be supporting Harris much anymore either... I'll just have to pirate the rest of Ex Machina now.

That seems like the best course of action in this situation.
Shadowolf

Buy the rest used. They'll be books that were already in circulation, you're not adding any money to Harris' coffers and you'll be supposed your local comic book industry, which still needs that support.

PrinceJello's Husband

Dedicated Genius

Jeeze. Who knew someone involved in such a line of work could be so closed minded in regards to those who support him and his income. I may not have dressed as a character of the same gender as myself at comicon, but everyone should be able to express their love for the characters, stories, and the creators they respect. Regardless if they're male or female.

I can only imagine what he'd say to those of us dressing up as the opposite gender. "A female dressing up as a male comic book villain? Probably trying to come to terms with wanting to be male and not being seen as a weak inferior female." Lameass. And it looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't like crowds. Cosplaying actually helped that phobia, and it was a blast taking photos with other cosplayers. Gotta say my fave being a little Superham Superman biggrin .

The Unholy Three is the only set I own that he worked on, and those I purchased used at a local book store. So yay for helping support my state and not this d-bag of a human. Checked out the wiki before hopping on the thread, and I noticed a note was already made about said statement.

A side note: what happened with Frank Miller? neutral a

Liberal Elocutionist

ajsnoopy
Jeeze. Who knew someone involved in such a line of work could be so closed minded in regards to those who support him and his income. I may not have dressed as a character of the same gender as myself at comicon, but everyone should be able to express their love for the characters, stories, and the creators they respect. Regardless if they're male or female.

I can only imagine what he'd say to those of us dressing up as the opposite gender. "A female dressing up as a male comic book villain? Probably trying to come to terms with wanting to be male and not being seen as a weak inferior female." Lameass. And it looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't like crowds. Cosplaying actually helped that phobia, and it was a blast taking photos with other cosplayers. Gotta say my fave being a little Superham Superman biggrin .

The Unholy Three is the only set I own that he worked on, and those I purchased used at a local book store. So yay for helping support my state and not this d-bag of a human. Checked out the wiki before hopping on the thread, and I noticed a note was already made about said statement.

A side note: what happened with Frank Miller? neutral a

Nothing that I've found.
Mark Miller, on the other hand, once joked about pitching The Rape of Wonder Woman and called Lois Lane a slut.
He is another asshat on my shitlist forever.

PrinceJello's Husband

Dedicated Genius

Captain Mantis

Nothing that I've found.
Mark Miller, on the other hand, once joked about pitching The Rape of Wonder Woman and called Lois Lane a slut.
Just looked Millar up; interesting fact that both he and Harris were both born in 1969. :la Man...Why would such an idea even pop into his head as a 'good' comic book storyline? Sick and twisted is what he is. DX

Liberal Elocutionist

ajsnoopy
Captain Mantis

Nothing that I've found.
Just looked Millar up; interesting fact that both he and Harris were both born in 1969. :la Man...Why would such an idea even pop into his head as a 'good' comic book storyline? Sick and twisted is what he is. DX

It's all over the industry, even though DC is taking most of the fire for sexism lately.
They don't realize that 51% of the population is female and they are missing out on a huge consumer base by alienating females with the "comics are for boys" notion.
I have been grilled so many times on my comic book knowledge just because of my gender.
One of my best friends (female) works in a comic shop and was asked if she even liked comics or if it was just a job for her, and then seemed genuinely offended when she didn't want to talk to him.
He even went to the point of implying that she was sleeping with her boss and walked out when he began asking her questions on obscure characters only to find out she knew more about those characters than he did.

UGH.
I can't even walk on campus with my Captain America shirt on without someone telling me I should read the comics if I wear the shirt.
And my response every time is "Are the tits throwing you off?"

PrinceJello's Husband

Dedicated Genius

Captain Mantis

It's all over the industry, even though DC is taking most of the fire for sexism lately.
They don't realize that 51% of the population is female and they are missing out on a huge consumer base by alienating females with the "comics are for boys" notion.
I have been grilled so many times on my comic book knowledge just because of my gender.
One of my best friends (female) works in a comic shop and was asked if she even liked comics or if it was just a job for her, and then seemed genuinely offended when she didn't want to talk to him.
He even went to the point of implying that she was sleeping with her boss and walked out when he began asking her questions on obscure characters only to find out she knew more about those characters than he did.

UGH.
I can't even walk on campus with my Captain America shirt on without someone telling me I should read the comics if I wear the shirt.
And my response every time is "Are the tits throwing you off?"
And here I thought our society had moved past such prejudice, but apparently not. Lamesauce.

Guess because we're female means we know diddly squat about anything involving comic books or the comic book industry. Hell, I admit I'm still learning since I've only "been into" comic books for a year and a half or so. But I get asked so many questions at work about the characters and storylines and have even turned some coworkers on to buying comics themselves.

Kudos and major props to your friend who works in the comic book shop and stood her ground. I sure hope that guy learned his lesson and pulls his lip over his head next time he walks into the store. Did she tell her boss about the comment the customer made about her sleeping with him? Maybe get his a** banned from the store.

Wow. Just wow at guys commenting on your Cap shirt in such a way. They just...jeeze. A buncha asshats is what they are. And ignorant. Luckily I get the opposite here in AZ, but it may just be the places I haunt. Now that I think about it, had one incident at an Arby's..not even acknowledged for the costume on Halloween, but a guy dressed up similarly was given all the mad props in the world. :la

Tipsy Senshi

18,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Stellar Lieutenant 200
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
Is it strange that I've actually never been asked to justify any of my geeky hobbies? Maybe its just the area that I live in? Or perhaps I get stereotyped because of my glasses and people just take for granted that I'm actually into what ever thing is printed on my clothes?

Dangerous Visionary

And its because of assholes like him that comics are not as respected as they should be.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff