Welcome to Gaia! ::

Swashbuckling Gawker

Captain Talavar

I've always personally felt that the key to the success of minor superheroes is as simple as a little genre experimenting. Heck, even the mainstream heroes. I think that keeping the superhero to a specific "superhero genre" in and of itself is creatively limiting, and on top of that, limiting the stories to "modern day" is also creatively limiting. Change up some of the genre conventions, put them in different time periods. Ultimately it would create a much richer line-up. Too many superhero comics are just bland and boring because too much attention is paid to making DC or Marvel a single coherent universe as opposed to a brand, a publisher that offers a variety of comics.

So I was thinking about this, because I am one of those people who goes wild for a solid continuity and overlapping/interactive stories and characters. By "making DC or Marvel a single coherent universe" do you mean, they push too hard for the same kinds of stories (markedly superhero), or that they push too hard for all the characters to exist in the same time/place with extremely interactive (crossover) plotlines?

Quote:
And yes, that's "book". If you ask me, you should get one book per superhero. One Batman book, one Superman book. One Green Lantern book. Make Action Comics and Detective Comics anthologies again, designed to try and bring in new heroes from new creative talent. MAYBE do Batman and Superman in those books now and then, but certainly not as the main attraction.

This would be wonderful.

Dangerous Visionary

Maki_P
Oh Man so many ideas!
First a book for Stephanie Brown and another one for Cassandra Caine; next a romantic comedy series about Lois Lane and Clark Kent, kind of like Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane. Then a High School drama thing for the Titans. A book about Wally West, obviously; and maybe a miniseries about Donna Troy that might lead into an ongoing. Then Birds of Prey with Helena Bertillini, (Helena Wayne can stay, though) and Babs back as Oracle (in or out of the chair, I don't care so long as she gets to be Oracle). And what about a Team-up book with ever changing artists?
And a JSA book set in the 40s and 50s and another in the present.

I WANT ALL OF THESE! emotion_kirakira We need more people like Maki working for DC! emotion_dowant
CelestialChild
Captain Talavar

I've always personally felt that the key to the success of minor superheroes is as simple as a little genre experimenting. Heck, even the mainstream heroes. I think that keeping the superhero to a specific "superhero genre" in and of itself is creatively limiting, and on top of that, limiting the stories to "modern day" is also creatively limiting. Change up some of the genre conventions, put them in different time periods. Ultimately it would create a much richer line-up. Too many superhero comics are just bland and boring because too much attention is paid to making DC or Marvel a single coherent universe as opposed to a brand, a publisher that offers a variety of comics.

So I was thinking about this, because I am one of those people who goes wild for a solid continuity and overlapping/interactive stories and characters. By "making DC or Marvel a single coherent universe" do you mean, they push too hard for the same kinds of stories (markedly superhero), or that they push too hard for all the characters to exist in the same time/place with extremely interactive (crossover) plotlines?

Both. They push too hard to keep it in one specific, rather bland take on the superhero genre (and there's a difference between "superhero genre" in general, which is more broad than one may think, and the sort of dull and lifeless version of it that they usually do), and no creator can really be wildly creative with the characters because they have to fit into that bland mold, on top of always being ready for some pointless bullshit crossover every god damn year. That crossover s**t usually just amounts to someone like Geoff Johns picking and choosing what characters he wants to play with regardless of who's writing them, and he just smashes them together for a year.

I'd like to see a Superman comic with all the brightness and whimsical spirit you see in your standard Rocketeer comic, and a Batman comic that successfully combines gothic horror with crime noir, but we can't get that because they both have to exist in the same dull "thupahero woild" that the publisher dictates they live in. Of course Batman gets a little more mileage than Superman because no one at DC who likes and understands Superman is allowed to write him, let alone write him well, but they sure do like to put their trophy writers and artists in Batman's court. But I digress, as the bias against Superman, and toward Batman, is a subject for another thread.

Sparkly Survivor

9,350 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
CelestialChild
Captain Talavar

I am one for a Single Universe and a more or less stable continuity, but not in the strict obsessive way they try to do now (and don't even do right).
To me there should be a continuity, where everything happens, but with flexibility; and some overlapping between books, but not crossover events! Please No more crossovers! The timeline is complicated enough as it is!

Sparkly Survivor

9,350 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Miss-dark8607
Maki_P
Oh Man so many ideas!
First a book for Stephanie Brown and another one for Cassandra Caine; next a romantic comedy series about Lois Lane and Clark Kent, kind of like Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane. Then a High School drama thing for the Titans. A book about Wally West, obviously; and maybe a miniseries about Donna Troy that might lead into an ongoing. Then Birds of Prey with Helena Bertillini, (Helena Wayne can stay, though) and Babs back as Oracle (in or out of the chair, I don't care so long as she gets to be Oracle). And what about a Team-up book with ever changing artists?

I WANT ALL OF THESE! emotion_kirakira We need more people like Maki working for DC! emotion_dowant

Please stop cat_4laugh . You embarrass me cat_4laugh

Dangerous Visionary

Maki_P
Miss-dark8607
Maki_P
Oh Man so many ideas!

Why are you still here!? stressed Go work for DC NOW! Help restore the sanity! gonk

Sparkly Survivor

9,350 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Miss-dark8607
Maki_P
Miss-dark8607
Maki_P
Oh Man so many ideas!

Why are you still here!? stressed Go work for DC NOW! Help restore the sanity! gonk

I live in Latin America.... but maybe I can get Captain Talavar to take my pitch for the Clark Kent and Lois Lane Romantic Comedy there when he takes his of Martian Manhunter...

Dangerous Visionary

Maki_P
Miss-dark8607
Maki_P
Miss-dark8607
Maki_P
Oh Man so many ideas!

I live in Latin America.... but maybe I can get Captain Talavar to take my pitch for the Clark Kent and Lois Lane Romantic Comedy there when he takes his of Martian Manhunter...

Doesn't stop all UK and Korean writers out there. Seriously, go for it. 3nodding

Sparkly Survivor

9,350 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Miss-dark8607
heart
Doesn't stop all UK and Korean writers out there. Seriously, go for it. 3nodding

Thanks redface

Dangerous Visionary

Maki_P
Miss-dark8607
heart

Thanks redface

Well I would say it if I didn't think you were worthy. Besides like I keep saying DC does need to break the monolithic mode a bit. Can't keep having the same old dudes with the same old dude s**t writing and art work. They need to some fresh non-dude and hopefully non-white talent. Sheesh.
Here's a quickie: I'd like to write a Superman comic. One that was just kind of timeless, and had the old school fun and whimsical nature you get in comics like The Rocketeer. I think that fits Superman much better than the usual bland crap you get these days when every superhero has to be shoehorned into one bland generalized genre.

Sparkly Survivor

9,350 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Miss-dark8607
Maki_P
Miss-dark8607
heart

Thanks redface

Well I would say it if I didn't think you were worthy. Besides like I keep saying DC does need to break the monolithic mode a bit. Can't keep having the same old dudes with the same old dude s**t writing and art work. They need to some fresh non-dude and hopefully non-white talent. Sheesh.

Goodness yes! Everything in the New 52 feels like it was made in the mid 90s! Specially the supposedly Teen Books. Teens don't like that stuff anymore

Dangerous Visionary

Maki_P
Miss-dark8607
Maki_P
Miss-dark8607
heart

Thanks redface

Goodness yes! Everything in the New 52 feels like it was made in the mid 90s! Specially the supposedly Teen Books. Teens don't like that stuff anymore

Indeed. Its like a second dork age within comics and it doesn't need to be.

Swashbuckling Gawker

Okay, so here is one of mine...

I want a series of shorts (or a bunch of miniseries, or an on-going featuring different characters, whatever...) that takes a character out of his or her usual element and places them through circumstance a new position as a hero/crime-fighter. This usually happens with more iconic characters (basically anybody in the Justice League), so it would be less-frontline heroes. This is mostly inspired but what I love about Red Hood and The Outlaws - three characters I don't particularly care about at all, but a fresh team-up that keeps things interesting.

For example:

Cass Cain having to lead a team of heroes. I'd even go with her running the Teen Titans or something for a stint. Not because she makes the best leader, but to explore her in a situation of that kind.

OR

Cass Cain in space. I could see some Giant Robots. ;D

Stephanie Brown / Spoiler on the Justice League. I don't even know what the plot would be, but she'd be running with them for a bit as a key person to help solve a problem - or perhaps the problem is very close to her, etc. She'd be a breath of positivity and sarcasm and fresh air and would make a few people cry.

Zackary Zatara & Lex Luthor plot. Some sort of weird twist that has them tied up in something, magic & science cooperating and fighting simultaneously.

Wonder Woman (okay, mainstream) and Sinestro. Again, I am not particularly clear on a plot, though I would prefer taking WW into space. The idea here has a lot to do with how I have always understood these characters. Sinestro although often coming off as clever and a very "together" villain, has nonetheless always struck me as imbalanced in terms of what he represents. He believes and relies upon the Power of Fear through and through. Diana, meanwhile, as the center of the Trinity, has always been a more balanced character to me. She can be fearsome, but also believes in the power of faith and trust (via truth) as well. She is neither as idealistic as Superman nor pessimistic as Batman (not that Batman is wholly pessimistic, but I digress). Rather than a contrast of opposites in terms of values (power through fear, power through trust), it would be a contrast of opposites in terms of a person with an imbalanced value system, and a person with a balanced one. The chemistry feels like one of one person being shaken (WW via Sinestro) and another being re-oriented (Sinestro via WW).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff