Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cheese Monkey

Preview art of Jeff Smith's Captain Marvel mini and he says Dan Slott will be writing an arc in JLA:Classfied.
w00tness abounds.

Heh.
Presume not to imagine the fantasies that go through the mind of a Composite Ailuropoda Melanoleuca/Mid-price Tabloid Model.

Was it my imagination though, or was Grant on almost every panel there?

I'm more curious than thrilled about most of the stuff he's hyping for the year ahead. His Batman works so well outwitting Gods in JLA that I find it hard to imagine how it'll work 'street level'. The Wildstorm stuff sounds more intriguing by the minute, but there I'm fascinated by the whole Big Carey&Simone Picture.

Seven Soldiers-wise I'm a little nervous. He says he's written 100 pages for the final issue and needs to squash it down to 30. Now I'm all in favour of the whole hyper-compressed technique, but this once and just once couldn't they just delay the book and get Williams to draw the whole b*****d thing? Following this series has been one of the best times I've ever had following a superhero run and for the conclusion I want to see everything. I'm also a little disapointed that Morrison doesn't go with the idea that 7S is set during 52. His placement of it (a week before the Crisis) is great in terms of "why it falls on the little guys to save the world" and for the Fall of Camelot analogy, but lousy in terms of Zatanna's characterisation in that it means the Whiny Cow Zee of Day of Vengence comes after she got over all the issues she's whining about. On the bright side...having 7S set before the Crisis means that thier appearences in IC and 52 will be able to take the soldier's stories forwards, which can't be a bad thing.

The thing I'm probably most interested in though are the VERTIGO projects he says so little about. For one of VERTIGO's founding fathers and for someone who says his VERTIGO work is the only stuff he thinks of as being "his", it's a shame that he's not done anything there since Vimanarama. The Endless Nights-style Invisibles book (Invisible Nights?) sounds fun...the story doesn't need another panel added to it, but the idea of just giving us character pieces would be a welcome indulgence as I'd just like to spend a bit more time with those people. We know almost nothing about what the characters do between 1999 and 2012 so there's plenty of space.

The mysterious VERTIGO Williams project sounds more promising though. I'm coming to the opinion that Williams can draw anything, and the more complex the concepts that the Moores, Ellises and Morrisons throw at him the better he gets.

I'm abandoning any attempted to be calm, reserved and mature about 52. The more Waid and Morrison talk about it, the more it sounds like Seven Soldiers inflated to the size of a universe so that everyone can play. Once it got out that Grant'll be writing 'Animal Man lost in Outer Space' as part of it then...well, that's exactly the sort of comic I do fantasise about. Morrison's Animal Man lost in Outer Space! If it were just about Buddy lost in Space and nothing else I'd be sleeping outside the comic shop each week the day before its release.

Familiar Phantom

Beating Chrono at his own game, eh? rofl
Wally_West

Beating Chrono at his own game, eh? rofl

Proud supporter of this thread as I am...(How many Wondercon threads do we need?) I still prefer having solicits in separate threads. Mostly beacuse I think they're worth running as polls.
This is really sad. I mean really am I that misunderstood? Ok Wally & Gang let me try to explain it to you. This isn't a game to me and for the one millionth time I'm not purposely trying to annoying you. I don't have a problem with you guys but I stand by my response that if you dislike my post so much you can see who the author is and keep it moving.

But my sole purpose here is to talk comics. I've met some really great people here and I've chanted with them on AIM. I only like talking comics and sharing ideas.

You guys have your beloved News Sticky now. Great for you but I choose to share articles, comments, pics, other crap outside this news sticky. It's my choice. It's not a competition and I'm not out to get you. I just think that DC can have a WonderCon thread and so can Dark Horse. They're separate companies and why should they be lumped together. Some people are going to want to talk about The Goon and others will wanna talk our love-god Batman, and they are entitled to do it how ever they want.

In closing, I'd like to express my love and respect for Wally & Gang. I'm not being sarcastic. I really do cuz you guys have a passion for comics like I do. We're on the same side and it's silly and sad that you don't see it.

Familiar Phantom

Hmm...I think you took my 'lol' out of context. I wasn't laughing at the solicit being in the news thread...I was laughing because you, Rich, and Pind have an informal contest to see who can get the solicits linked up first on the boards, and Rich decided to 'beat' both of you by putting them up...before they were available.
Wally_West
Hmm...I think you took my 'lol' out of context. I wasn't laughing at the solicit being in the news thread...I was laughing because you, Rich, and Pind have an informal contest to see who can get the solicits linked up first on the boards, and Rich decided to 'beat' both of you by putting them up...before they were available.

redface Opps redface

Sorry Wally, it's just that over the weekend I've been dealing with PM, post, and more PM's with people trying to force me to use this thread. Thought I'd take the time to address it since I'm sick of being PM'ed and harassed.

Familiar Phantom

Okay. NO one should be harassing you over that. Seriously. Gaia is a free board. Do I think small news tidbits should be here? Yes, but for goodness sakes, there's no point in harassing someone who doesn't feel the same. WhiteJoker left the guidelines for the CD board unfinished. If it was REQUIRED that small news articles go here, it'd be different, but it's not.

Since I've gone this far I guess I'll just state my whole credo on it. I feel that things that don't warrent discussion (Variant covers, TPBs being released, short interviews with writers) should go here. I feel that topics that bear a lot of discussion (long writer interviews, huge company announcements, upcoming series'), should be separate topics.

Not everyone's gonna agree, and my name isn't purple, so not my place to force people. Other people should recognize their limitation too.
It's so nice to deal and post with someone with some sense. Thanks Wally for once again stepping up and being the voice of reason.
Wally_West
my name isn't purple

crying

Profitable Tycoon

3,700 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
I use the News Sticky because it saves space in the forum and because I don't have to go through the trouble of making a new thread. That's it. I ain't on about anything really. Oh and as far as competion goes, I'm all about that. Not in a mean "I will crush you, little man" way. It's a "Mwahahaha, I've done it again!" way. You know, self-aggrandizement over trivial stuff.
Kay_Challis
Wally_West
my name isn't purple

crying
Why are you crying Kay? I think it's a good thing. Purple West? That's just a silly name, Wally sounds so much better. xp
Anyone fans of Image Comic's 'ULTRA', written and drawn by the Luna brothers?

Superhero Hype
Variety reports that CBS has greenlit a pilot from Joan of Arcadia creator Barbara Hall based on the comic book Ultra.

Ultra, from CBS Paramount Network TV, revolves around a female superhero who must contend with saving the world while pursuing a life as a single girl in the city. In the comic book, which parodies celebrity magazines, Ultra's alter ego, Pearl Penalosa, is a semi-icon who graces billboards advertising popular products.

Hall, whose other credits include Judging Amy, will executive produce the pilot; David Engel and David Alpert are co-executive producers.

http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=3798

And Superhero Hype posted yesterday that Lena Headey has been cast as Pearl.

Superhero Hype
Lena Headey ("Imagine Me & You," "The Brothers Grimm" wink has joined the cast of CBS' Ultra as Penny, reports Variety.

Ultra, from CBS Paramount Network TV, revolves around a female superhero who must contend with saving the world while pursuing a life as a single girl in the city. In the comic book, which parodies celebrity magazines, Ultra's alter ego, Pearl Penalosa, is a semi-icon who graces billboards advertising popular products.

Barbara Hall will executive produce the pilot; David Engel and David Alpert are co-executive producers.

http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=3856

Here's hoping it will be good! They probably won't follow the actual plotline of the mini, but still, yay.
My first news posted here....

WonderCon 2006 Photo Parade
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are some really great pictures. I like the woman dressed in the Barbara Gordon Batgirl costume. That's a really great costume.

Profitable Tycoon

3,700 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
The Batgirl was nice, but Cel as Batgirl is better. That other woman lacked the POW! POW! that Cel had.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff