Welcome to Gaia! ::

Witty Werewolf

7,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Help me solve an argument CD.

My girlfriend says she's into Marvel, and that's cool ( I like all brands) but she's claiming that DC characters are MARVEL brand characters. I've been into comics almost all of my life, and I know that's not right. Or it could be.

Why I think i'm correct: Marvel mostly parodies, or DC parodies their characters, To my knowlege
they haven't done a Clown based character.

Why she is correct:because she said so, and because she remembers the Joker and harley as marvel. And she's always right.

Honestly I don't care who is 'right' or who is 'wrong' I only care that we know the answer.

Phanna's Husband

Questionable Partner

S i l e n t P o e m
To my knowlege they haven't done a Clown based character.

Somebody missed out on the hilariously awesome Clown-9 storyline in the Spider-Man newspaper strip earlier this year!

The Joker first appeared in Batman #1 in 1940. Timely Publications, which would later become Marvel, had only been in business about six months at that time and had only a single title (originally Marvel Comics, changed to Marvel Mystery Comics in December of '39). There were no clown-based characters that I'm aware of. So the Joker is absolutely a DC character, period.

But! Marvel Comics #1 features the first appearance of Namor the Sub-Mariner (sort of, he was slated to appear in a giveaway comic earlier that year but the plans fell through and only a few copies were printed, none were distributed). Aquaman didn't show up until 1941, two years later. The two are, uh, similar. So you could argue that Aquaman is inspired by/copied from/a tribute to the Marvel character Namor.

Then there's DC's Swamp Thing and Marvel's more amusingly titled Man-Thing, which both appeared around the same time and may both have been inspired by an obscure character called the Heap.

Marvel's Thor bears an uncanny resemblance to a version of Thor (the deity, not the Marvel character) found in an old DC adventure comic. Both were drawn by Jack Kirby, but the DC version is older.

Cobra, The Ruthless Terrorist Organization Determined To Rule The World (TM), is a pastiche of Marvel's Hydra and DC's Kobra. Marvel had a hand in the G.I. Joe relaunch back in the 80's as they were working on the tie-in comic (which was originally to have been a young Avengers spin-off featuring Hydra as the villain, they just renamed a bunch of the characters to create Cobra and the Joes).

Short answer here is that the comics industry is full of people jumping between companies, copying ideas or reusing things that didn't work for the competition. No one company is better or worse at it.

Seriously though Joker and Harley (who originated in B:TAS) are totally DC and always have been your girlfriend is crazy brah.

Witty Werewolf

7,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Masiakasaurus
S i l e n t P o e m
To my knowlege they haven't done a Clown based character.

Somebody missed out on the hilariously awesome Clown-9 storyline in the Spider-Man newspaper strip earlier this year!

The Joker first appeared in Batman #1 in 1940. Timely Publications, which would later become Marvel, had only been in business about six months at that time and had only a single title (originally Marvel Comics, changed to Marvel Mystery Comics in December of '39). There were no clown-based characters that I'm aware of. So the Joker is absolutely a DC character, period.

But! Marvel Comics #1 features the first appearance of Namor the Sub-Mariner (sort of, he was slated to appear in a giveaway comic earlier that year but the plans fell through and only a few copies were printed, none were distributed). Aquaman didn't show up until 1941, two years later. The two are, uh, similar. So you could argue that Aquaman is inspired by/copied from/a tribute to the Marvel character Namor.

Then there's DC's Swamp Thing and Marvel's more amusingly titled Man-Thing, which both appeared around the same time and may both have been inspired by an obscure character called the Heap.

Marvel's Thor bears an uncanny resemblance to a version of Thor (the deity, not the Marvel character) found in an old DC adventure comic. Both were drawn by Jack Kirby, but the DC version is older.

Cobra, The Ruthless Terrorist Organization Determined To Rule The World (TM), is a pastiche of Marvel's Hydra and DC's Kobra. Marvel had a hand in the G.I. Joe relaunch back in the 80's as they were working on the tie-in comic (which was originally to have been a young Avengers spin-off featuring Hydra as the villain, they just renamed a bunch of the characters to create Cobra and the Joes).

Short answer here is that the comics industry is full of people jumping between companies, copying ideas or reusing things that didn't work for the competition. No one company is better or worse at it.

Seriously though Joker and Harley (who originated in B:TAS) are totally DC and always have been your girlfriend is crazy brah.

I knew about Namor (One of my favorites) and I guess she was right about the joker being marvel for a short period of time. And I know Jack Kirby jumps around ALOT.

However I just looked into the Heap. ...The hell. However thank you. She now owes me ten kisses.

Wait. Isn't Captain America's Shield the DC logo?!? I knew that Hydra (HEIL HYDRA) was Marvel, and That Kobra was DC. She's either confused, on who/what she likes, or she's not willing to admit she's wrong.

Thank you. Oh, and when did Deadpool first appear?

Phanna's Husband

Questionable Partner

S i l e n t P o e m
Wait. Isn't Captain America's Shield the DC logo?!? I knew that Hydra (HEIL HYDRA) was Marvel, and That Kobra was DC. She's either confused, on who/what she likes, or she's not willing to admit she's wrong.

The DC logo looks a little like the Cap's shield, but Captain America was also created by Timely Comics back in 1941. They are, in fact, different: the Cap's shield has a single star in the center. Up until 2005, the DC logo had 4 stars around the edge; after 2005, the revised logo has one star on the edge.

Kobra made several appearances on Batman Beyond, including the two-part episode Curse of the Kobra, which has them in the freakin' title, so I suggest you show her that.

Deadpool's first appearance was in The New Mutants #98, back in '91.

Also Clown-9 was in no way related to the Joker and as far as I know the Joker has never been licensed for any Marvel productions. He was more like Marvel's take on the concept of a criminal clown. Also it was the newspaper strip so it was insane.

If you have any more questions, you could try checking my super secret vault of information.

Witty Werewolf

7,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Masiakasaurus
S i l e n t P o e m

The DC logo looks a little like the Cap's shield, but Captain America was also created by Timely Comics back in 1941. They are, in fact, different: the Cap's shield has a single star in the center. Up until 2005, the DC logo had 4 stars around the edge; after 2005, the revised logo has one star on the edge.

Kobra made several appearances on Batman Beyond, including the two-part episode Curse of the Kobra, which has them in the freakin' title, so I suggest you show her that.

Deadpool's first appearance was in The New Mutants #98, back in '91.

Also Clown-9 was in no way related to the Joker and as far as I know the Joker has never been licensed for any Marvel productions. He was more like Marvel's take on the concept of a criminal clown. Also it was the newspaper strip so it was insane.

If you have any more questions, you could try checking my super secret vault of information.

Well.. That 'secret Vault can be edited by anyone. So. I try to go for the actual sites.

I'll have to go look into Clown-9. Dead pool's my favorite insane hero. And he's got a new game coming out. So, I'll show her the curse of Kobra, and the others.
Joker and Harley have always been DC never Marvel, your girlfriend is wrong.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff