Welcome to Gaia! ::

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
I was just browsing through my older Garfield comic collections from the eighties, and comparing them with the strips of today, I kind of find them more interesting. Seriously, it's almost like night and day. Just look at the examples I've provided below.

Garfield 1975 - 1995

Semi Helpless Chicken Pie A La Mode It's All in the Wrist

Garfield 2002 - 2012

And Jon Not Helping Hungry?

Anyway, I still love Garfield and all, but I think the writers have gotten a little lazy. I vote we all email them and ask them to step up their game. We don't want Garfield to go the way of Family Guy.

Unbeatable Raider

If, and I'm not saying I agree or disagree. But even if he has lost the edge that made him funny, at least it took him close to 40 years to get there. Seth Macfarlane lost it practically over night xp

Anyway. It is a shame that the strip has gotten streamlined. At the same time, I think it still runs on the same jokes it always has. We just don't see all the background characters that used to come in and out. It would be nice to see more Nermal and Binky the Clown.

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Saiyan Prince Vegita
If, and I'm not saying I agree or disagree. But even if he has lost the edge that made him funny, at least it took him close to 40 years to get there. Seth Macfarlane lost it practically over night xp

Anyway. It is a shame that the strip has gotten streamlined. At the same time, I think it still runs on the same jokes it always has. We just don't see all the background characters that used to come in and out. It would be nice to see more Nermal and Binky the Clown.

Exactly! And where did Arlene Go? For that matter when is the last time Garfield had an adventure outside the house?

Unbeatable Raider

In all honesty, I think the issue is what audience Jim Davis is playing to. I think when the strip was newer, he was playing to a more mature crowd. And now, he's mainly targeting children. But that's just a theory.

Liberal Elocutionist

I was never really a fan of the Garfield comics, however, I do enjoy Garfield Minus Garfield.

User Image

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Saiyan Prince Vegita
In all honesty, I think the issue is what audience Jim Davis is playing to. I think when the strip was newer, he was playing to a more mature crowd. And now, he's mainly targeting children. But that's just a theory.

I suppose that could be it
although I think that the humor would still fly over most kids heads
But I've been reading the strips since I was seven, and I got the humor then

Dangerous Visionary

Captain Mantis
I was never really a fan of the Garfield comics, however, I do enjoy Garfield Minus Garfield.

User Image

LOL indeed. As well as the fan theory that really its all just a dying dream of an obsess cat that has been abandoned by his sadistic owner Jon. See now there's some added depth.

Sparkly Survivor

26,525 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
All I know about Garfield was the cartoon from the 90s (good times).
Honestly I thought it had ended years ago

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Maki_P
All I know about Garfield was the cartoon from the 90s (good times).
Honestly I thought it had ended years ago

yeah I remember that cartoon! lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas