Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,650 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Popular Thread 100
I'm following all the theories on here with glee, but I just want to insert a quick comment on the Zombiestein thing. We know a few facts: He has his own brain in his body, and his body is one hundred percent his. He also has certain skills, such as reading and fighting, which he presumably took with him into (and back out of) the grave. As for his emotional life, {...} seems to care only about Hanna, and has experienced, as a zombie, boredom and concern. He was bored when he came to Hanna for work, and he seems only concerned for Hanna's safety. Even in the initial storyline, when they failed to protect Conrad, he seemed only to regret that Hanna felt he had failed. And when he saw Lee Faun's ghost pass through Hanna, he remarked upon a brief feeling of obsessive love, either towards Hanna or whoever his "Hanna" had been when he was alive, I think we can assume. Also, he had Hanna's business card but forgot where he got it. Did the person who buried and/or resurrected him give him that information?

But it seems as if both his mind and his body are simply dulled: He doesn't feel much pain or pleasure, physically or mentally. But he can feel. And he has self-preservation instincts.

So, Hyde!Ples seems to think he is somebody's science project. I find that difficult to believe. Because it seems as if his resurrection, if caused by another person (and not some supernatural law we're unaware of) aimed to restore his entire personhood. He came back from the dead to be himself, and his primary goal is to discover what exactly that self is. So I think the likeliest theory is that he was resurrected by an individual who loved him (romantically or platonically, or even maternally) but that somehow, that individual failed to follow up. Perhaps they were killed by the same people who killed {...}, or were otherwise side-tracked.

And now I go back to lurking. *turns into a bat and flaps up to the rafters*
Hmmmm. While some of what you said makes sense Teagoby. During the ghost insident with Lee, I was under the impresion that the brief flash of possesivenes that {...} felt was something that came from Lee's emotional state rather than his own. Also I'm not so sure that Hanna is the only person who he cares about, just the one he cares most about.

But the thought that someone who loved him in life brought him back kinda plays into the the whole thousand crane/monkey paw senario.
picture this: Loved one lose's their beloved {...}. Be it that they know he's dead, or he's become a missing person, the feeling remains the same. He's gone, and it's left a gapping whole in their lives. In desperation they remember that thousand crane wish thing. Maybe it's something that they shared together, maybe they just heard about it somewhere. The point is their desperate enouth to try it, but in the end, after they make the wish, they have no idea that it had the effect it did. Because they don't even belive it would have worked at all. Thus, they don't know that their beloved {...} is wondering around as the undead.
So ends my long, and probably off, story.
I agree with LadyKatie, that obsessive love he felt was likely from Lee passing through him, and not his own emotions. However, I think Zombie doesn't have dulled emotions. His body is certainly dulled against things like pain, but I believe he feels a full range of emotions just like anybody else. He just doesn't express them. I feel spending ten years wandering aimlessly and trying to remember memories that are simply gone would have some such effect on a person.

Also, do we really have proof that body and brain are 100% his? For all we know he could have one person's brain and another's body. Or his body could be composed of pieces of multiple people. We've seen pictures of him when he was alive, but for all we know that person was the body, and the {...} we know, personality-wise, is someone else entirely. Zombie has said himself that he thinks he is a very different someone than before. Maybe that's simply a product of being resurrected with no memory and having to start all over, or maybe that's a product of how he was made undead.
Actually, I do believe Galahad was simply resurrected, not made, but I'm just saying. We don't know for sure.

While we're overanalyzing {...}, I'd like to throw this quote at you for further analysis, 'cause I'm still trying to make full sense of it. This is from the back of the first printed book:
{...}
When I died, I experienced life so fully and so thoroughly that it will take me an entire lifetime to sort it all out. So when I woke up, I found the 'unlife' rather dull, providing me little to no insight as I tried to pick through my experiences. That is until I got tired of thinking.

Bored, I searched for something to make my 'unlife' something more enjoyable, something to make the heinous task of figuring out what 'it all meant' more bearable.

Hanna Falk Cross might be that something, but that may be stretching it a bit.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

6,850 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Hygienic 200
Oh, that's mighty strange. And confusing.

Quote:
When I died, I experienced life so fully and so thoroughly that it will take me an entire lifetime to sort it all out.
Implying that he might have remembered it at one point? I don't know, having trouble making sense of it.

What. Just... I dunno. Maybe I'll give this another shot when my brain's in more of a mode for deep thought.

But on a slightly different note, 12:21? (Lulz, it's 12:21 a.m. as I'm typing this sentence out) What does happen at 12:21? Given the speed of the recent updates it probably won't be long before we find out, but still... way to leave us at a cliffhanger, Tess.
Jalee
Oh, that's mighty strange. And confusing.

I know, right? I've been trying to figure it out since I got the book. XD Some of {...}'s narrations are written as if they were done much later, like he is telling this story a long time afteward. (For example, at the beginning he says "I knew the 'business' was anything but booming, but it seemed like a good idea at the time & hey -- it actually was." ) So maybe he remembered everything when he first woke up, and then the memories faded (at this point, he always says he doesn't even remember waking up at all), and then by the time he's actually writing these narrations, he remembers everything again? I'm grabbing at straws here.

Well, since Ples is strongly linked to clocks and such, maybe that's when Hyde!Ples automatically loses control and Jeckyll!Ples comes back? He did say earlier that "This tonic is actually changing the pattern," suggesting that there might be some sort of schedule to it? I dunno, really.

Haha, I absolutely love how Hanna can fly off the handle and punch a guy over an insult, then immediately follow it up with "Listen up! I am taking your a** to get medical attention whether you are willing or not." (Also, he's freaking adorable in the last panel.)
Quote:
When I died, I experienced life so fully and so thoroughly that it will take me an entire lifetime to sort it all out.

I think that maybe what he was refering to "the great beyond", "the afterlife" , that magical place beyond death that nearly every religion belives is there but debates what goes on with it. He saw it, it rocked, but now he's back. And coming backs like....well.... Like trying really strong coffe, then going back to weak instant brew. It's really bland in comparison.
Huh. I never even thought of that for some reason. Nice!
Thanks! I do try wink
And with that, we seem to have run out of discussion. Here's something to tide us over until the next strip comes out (hopefully today!) :

Conrad made it obvious that the vampires in the Hannaverse are the sort that can't enter a house without being invited. So that raises the question, how did Conrad accidentally manage to invite Adelaide into his apartment?

5,650 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Popular Thread 100
Donda
And with that, we seem to have run out of discussion. Here's something to tide us over until the next strip comes out (hopefully today!) :

Conrad made it obvious that the vampires in the Hannaverse are the sort that can't enter a house without being invited. So that raises the question, how did Conrad accidentally manage to invite Adelaide into his apartment?

My brain just exploded.

I...maybe he thought she was cute at first? Or maybe she used to live there? or maybe someone invited her into the building, and his apartment is a part of that building, so she didn't need an invite?
I'm likeing the line of thought with that last theory Taegoby. Maybe Conrad lives in one of those building where someone has to buzz you in over an intercom. If its one of those with out a acompaning camera system, then the person inside wouldn't be able to see who they where talking to, just hear thier voice. So lil miss sassy bat just goes up to the intercom and
Adelaide:*useing sexy voice, cause you know she has it* "excuse me sir, my car broke down, and my cellphone isn't getting service. Can I please come in and call a cab?"
She doesn't even need to ask Conrad persay, Just any ol' guy that lives in the same building, then take her pick of whatever inside.
although anouther posiblity that I heard once, is that if Conrads renting the place, then it technically isn't "owned" in the traditional sense, so that could be a loophole.
If she had been in human form, I could see how she could have easily tricked even Conrad into allowing her in, but in bat form it seems a little less likely. He is on the artsy side of town, so he probably does have a fancy intercom system, but I always imagined her bat voice as being kinda small and squeaky. Plus, even if someone invited her into the building, she'd still have to get past Conrad's door to get into his apartment.

Now that I think about it, I seem to remember having read about this somewhere. I think it was something like "invitation" has a loose definition here, and even things like a simple nod or a welcome mat can be considered an invitation. So it could have been something like that. Also, I've read that by some rules, a vampire only needs one invitation and then it can come and go as it pleases. So maybe she managed to get someone to invite her in when she was in humanoid form at some point in the past, so then she was able to just let herself into his apartment. Maybe that's why she chose his apartment. Because it was one of the few she could get into freely.
Well seeing as we don't really know the "rules" of well...anything as it applies to the Hanna-verse, I don't really see a reason to argue with much. The welcome mat thing sounds plausible. but one thing that I would like to debate. Most vampire mythology that I've heard of that involves the "invite clause" seems to put alot of focus on being invited by the owner of the home in question. If it's not the owner, it don't count. Based on that I'm thinking that once the home in question is bought by a new owner, a new invite is required. That being said, either Conrad was the one duped into letting her in. Or, if he's renting , then the landlord probably owns the whole building, and if they are the ones to invite her in, then she just got an all access pass.

6,850 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Hygienic 200
Intercom theory sounds plausible at first, but I recall that they couldn't tell Adelaide was a lady bat when she first showed up. Or maybe that was just Hanna, but I don't recall {...} or Conrad using gender-specific pronouns before that. So maybe she can't control the bat-form voice?

Kind of leaning more towards the renter-theory myself. Or there's the really slim chance that at first Conrad may have taken pity on skilled-actor Batelaide. "Injured little bat? Well, what could be the harm inOHMYGODGETOUTAUGH." Since Word of God says that he puts up the Jerkass Facade to hide the fact that he's a total pushover on the inside. (lol, TV Tropes will ruin your vocabulary~)

On the cosplay front, my Hanna wig finally arrived. The color ended up being a lot cooler (and consequently, less orangey) than I thought it would be, and I'm not too sure how I feel about it. I mean, I like the color, but I'm kind of debating on how "Hanna" it is.

[1] [2]

IRL it looks much cooler than either of the pictures, anywhere from a neutral apple red to slightly burnt red (2nd pic shows up almost a burnt orange on my monitor). I've got no real deadline for this project aside from whatever west coast con Tessa decides to go to this year, so plenty of time to order another wig and figure out what to do with this one. If I do that, I'm thinking of going with Fire Red, which has more orange in it and is a little more natural, but... Mehhhhhhhhhhh. x_________X; Anyone have opinions color-wise?

*edit* Whoa, did I just find a particular someone's dA while searching for Hanna cosplay? Specifically a rather humorous shot involving Hanna, Worth, and Worth's coat. xD
LadyKatie: And then we get into specific definitions of ownership. Legally, the landlord owns the property, but the tenant owns the apartment to the degree that usually, the landlord can't just go into people's apartments without permission. I'd imagine vampire rules would be less concerned over specific legal definitions and more concerned with who lives in the place. But that's just my opinion. In that case, the landlord might be able to let a vampire into the building, but the tenant would have to allow it into an apartment. Or, maybe the landlord and tenant have equal ability to allow a vampire in both places. I don't really know. Either way, I feel this is a question that needs to be asked of either Conrad or Tessa next time she does a Q & A.

Also, Conrad did actually call Adelaide "he" when he first mentioned the vampire in his apartment, so I'm guessing intercom is out.
And I'd imagine Conrad taking pity on a bat would depend on his previous knowledge of vampires. If Conrad knew about vampires and their ability to turn into bats before Adelaide came into his apartment, I'd imagine he wouldn't have invited or brought a random bat in. He was able to realize that she was a vampire and not just a strange talking bat on his own, and didn't seem terribly shaken by Zombie's appearance (other than the initial surprise), so I'd imagine he had some general knowledge of supernatural stuff. But then again, maybe it was just that once he had gotten his a** kicked by a talking bat, neither vampires nor zombies would really surprise him.

Jalee: The color looks good enough to me, but then again if the photos don't show it accurately, then I can't say for sure. It really comes down to how particular you are about complete accuracy. Hanna's pretty distinctive, so I'd say as long as you have red hair in the right style, nobody's going to be pulling up pictures of Hanna and comparing exact shades.

Haha, would that happen to be my dA? With the "Oh God My Eyes" deviation?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff