Welcome to Gaia! ::

PrinceJello's Husband

Dedicated Genius

Elder Brother
how many of you read comics that AREN'T superhero books? haven't seen this in the thread yet.

Been picking up the Star Trek TNG: HIVE and TNG/Dr. Who crossover by IDW :la

Dapper Genius

6,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trader 100
  • Hygienic 200
ajsnoopy
Elder Brother
how many of you read comics that AREN'T superhero books? haven't seen this in the thread yet.

Been picking up the Star Trek TNG: HIVE and TNG/Dr. Who crossover by IDW :la

cool. i've been reading:

BLACKSAD
INCOGNITO
DAYTRIPPER
JOE THE BARBARIAN
MAKESHIFT MIRACLE
THE DEMON OMNIBUS
I love comic! Comic book or online comic, I love both of them heart
Reading comic makes me relax and give me a break from my activity biggrin

Shameless Nerd

16,100 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
WonderGirl_Cassie
I live comics, literally, I work in a comic book shop and I have never been happier. Teen Titans, Batgirl, Deathstroke, Batman, Green Lantern: New Guardians, Red Lantern Corps, and Deadpool are some of my favorites.

emotion_brofist
For all my snapping at the comic book industry, I adore comics with every fiber of my being. Truthfully, as a girl growing up in a not-ideal-situation, comic books (the old Young Justice in particular!!!) really taught me how to be a strong female that isn't in societies stereotype; that you can show skin, kick butt, have love interests,save the day, and be someones role model despite coming from a horrible household, like many of the comic book heroes we read about.
My love for them is partially why I complain; I've read many, MANY comics, and I know there are some beautiful ones that aren't sexist and white-dominated, ect. ect. I hold my heroes to a high margin smile yes I know that the creatures are only human, and that's okay too. I just do wish that DC would listen to what the fans are saying (because we're saying a lot they don't seem to be hearing, but I'm a Steph Brown/Cassie Cain/Donna Troy fangirl so I'm naturally irked by the reboot nonsense and as for Marvel, the end of Children's Crusade is still killing my soul bit by bit)

Tipsy Genius

It's ok, even healthy, to be critical of something you like, especially when talking about entertainment media. I mean ********, I won't touch the New 52 with a ten-foot pole because the blatant amount of sexism and homophobia in certain titles baffles me. (It's not "progressive" to make Alan Scott gay if you're going to kill off his boyfriend in the first issue, DC.) Yes, the comic industry is mostly run by cis straight white dudes, but it's not necessarily the consumers they cater to--and they need to adapt. I'd say the same things about television and movies, only comics have and even broader audience (in my opinion) and have been subtly dealing with social justice issues since forever, so why take two steps back by, say, messing up Starfire's character and essentially turning her into nothing but a male fantasy?

Marvel, in that sense, is better. They have actual queer couples, more racially diverse characters, more strong female characters...it's not wrong to look for those in comics. It's not wrong, as a minority, to want to be represented in your favorite media, and to want that media to reflect society. But it's also not wrong to enjoy comics that are, for lack of a better word, "problematic". I can have issues with something and still like it for the character, or the story, or the art--as long as I can honestly acknowledge that it's not perfect and that some issues need to be addressed.

So yes--yes, I like comic books for the story they tell, and the art, and the characters. The only storylines I'm 100% invested into are Marvel's X-Factor, Young Avengers, Runaways, Guardians of the Galaxy, and everything kid!Loki. The rest I buy are just titles of characters/teams I love, like Deadpool or the Avengers. Then there's Trek, Who, Firefly, Supernatural and Silent Hill comic books I collect, but that's mostly because they're safe bets since I love the source material.

Savage Sweetheart

8,650 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Object of Affection 150
I have honestly never met a hardcore comics fan of any age or any background who didn't kinda hate comics. The problem with (superhero) comics is since everything is constantly changing, things are constantly being taken away from what you know and love and not to mention the quality on most superhero comics is just not that high
So yeah i've spent a ridiculous amount of money on comics over the course of my life and i love comics a lot but wow comics suck what is up with comics
(and thats not even getting into the more complicated reasons comics are ******** up in terms of racism/sexism/homophobia/ableism)
I grew up collecting Sonic the Hedgehog, Knuckles the Echidna, Nightwing, and Batman Beyond comics. Sonic I still buy if he goes Super Sonic, most seem like fillers, and I tire of seeing Princess Sally who hasn't been in any Sonic games yet Amy is in a ton yet she gets little credit. I mostly enjoy the older Sonic Comics and Knuckle comics I have them all, got many as rewards for being a good boy at the local grocery store growing up, then collected them seriously as a Teen to Adult.

Batman Beyond I collect mostly, I have every comic hes ever been in, tho I agree with the person above that I don't care for how different artists can change main things about a character/story. Batman Beyond has now had villains killed off, new heros, new villains, and doesn't seem as futuristic as the comics before the current one. I enjoy seeing my favorite characters in all new stories and the fresh comic smell and excitement of the new month. However many new comics feel like the writers are outta touch with the characters.
Ravyn457
WonderGirl_Cassie
I live comics, literally, I work in a comic book shop and I have never been happier. Teen Titans, Batgirl, Deathstroke, Batman, Green Lantern: New Guardians, Red Lantern Corps, and Deadpool are some of my favorites.

emotion_brofist

I didn't see your post at first, but the Raven caught my eye, then I saw the Raven avatar and felt you have to be complimented! XD

Shameless Nerd

16,100 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
YUSUKE URAMESHl
Ravyn457
WonderGirl_Cassie

emotion_brofist

I didn't see your post at first, but the Raven caught my eye, then I saw the Raven avatar and felt you have to be complimented! XD
Thanks emotion_awesome

Shy Dark Elf

Yes, I honestly like comics.

I read them for the stories, but it helps to have some of my favorite characters in there.
Started out reading Batman comics, because I grew up with Batman:TAS, and then my brother-in-law let me borrow some of his Green Lantern, and Justice League comics, as well as the Batman ones I had been reading.
The cartoons from the 90s and early 2000s are what brought me into the world of comic book heroes, and my friends and family are the ones that enabled me to start reading them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff