Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Survivor

26,525 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Max Mercury
kissmekillme
Tsk. The level of elitism in CD has really fallen if this is what's passing for it.

And there's not even any mousse.

Makes you pine for the old days?
When editors edited and writers I liked did stories that smoothed continuity instead of blowing
it off until the company does a major reality shift and then says
"Now the past is all consistent"?

I missed those days before, too.

And I miss the mousse. And the squirrel.

Yeah, me too. (I don't think I was born then though)

Hilarious Genius

4,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Comics control a very large part of my life and i love them! in fact i plan on opening my own comic book store to help share my passion with everyone. however they can upset me at times for instance overall the new 52 is great. i like that Aquaman is a bad a** now but on the flip side i hate that they made Batman inc as i feel it kill's the very idea of Batman and make shim a sellout and cant get over what they did to the Green Arrow story. it was amazing and they went and ruined it all. The Green Arrow thing is something i am very passionate about and ill be honest it makes me very upset to talk about and i end up ranting for far to long lol. its just like every relationship you have with the people or characters in this case. there are things you like and things you hate about them but in the end you still love them!

Sparkly Survivor

26,525 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Kraythore
Comics control a very large part of my life and i love them! in fact i plan on opening my own comic book store to help share my passion with everyone. however they can upset me at times for instance overall the new 52 is great. i like that Aquaman is a bad a** now but on the flip side i hate that they made Batman inc as i feel it kill's the very idea of Batman and make shim a sellout and cant get over what they did to the Green Arrow story. it was amazing and they went and ruined it all. The Green Arrow thing is something i am very passionate about and ill be honest it makes me very upset to talk about and i end up ranting for far to long lol. its just like every relationship you have with the people or characters in this case. there are things you like and things you hate about them but in the end you still love them!

Um... Batman INC was previous to the New 52, in fact the Batman INC comics take place before Flashpoint (if that makes any sense)

Hilarious Genius

4,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Maki_P
Kraythore

Um... Batman INC was previous to the New 52, in fact the Batman INC comics take place before Flashpoint (if that makes any sense)
sorry i should have explained that part better. i just added that to my rant because it further proved the downhill slide that DC Comics is traveling on. Batman INC was just another bad idea IMO.

Sparkly Survivor

26,525 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Sith Lord Kraythore
Maki_P
Kraythore

sorry i should have explained that part better. i just added that to my rant because it further proved the downhill slide that DC Comics is traveling on. Batman INC was just another bad idea IMO.

Ah. Okay then

Big Member

I love comics. I've never really read DC...I'm all Marvel. I don't have a reason, I just never got into any DC comics. But I love most Marvel comics.

I have my favourite characters...I love Gambit, Wolverine, Deadpool, Spider-man and Spider-woman, and usually enjoy all their stories. But I enjoy others' as well; I don't just stick to my favored characters. I don't like the really old ones...all garish colours and no depth of character...but I LOVE the deeper, darker ones. I love the art in itself, the amount of detail in such a simple thing, and...pathetically...I really enjoy how people draw emotion in masked characters. >,>;; It's just awesome. whee

I love how all the characters intertwine and change and develop and regress...fiction is always better than fact or more realistic stories, because there's magic and mayhem and the drama is stranger and grander. Most of the time you know more than the characters themselves because there are so many twists and turns and memories lost and alternate realities etc...I like that. It's like you have the story in your hands and you have the story in your head and you wait for certain things, or remember them and get more emotionally involved.

Babble babble babble.
I love comics. redface

Man-Hungry Noob

I just love the characters: I'll watch them in any mediums.
Ie; comic books, cartoons, live action, movies, video games, etc. 3nodding
Yes, I absolutely adore comics. I'll read essentially everything, though I am partial to a few series and characters. I love the medium of comic books because you can really express a lot through them and comic book artists are really given a lot less credit than they deserve because making comic books takes a lot of work, and in the end they turn out beautifully. Sorry, went off on a rant there.. There are a few characters who I really like that are the reason I started reading comics, but I've become just as enamored with the medium as I was with the characters.

Dapper Genius

6,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trader 100
  • Hygienic 200
Drago_the_Blackrose

Because most of the time when in these forums.. is that people don't seem to love comics. I just get this general sense of... bitterness towards comics and I don't understand why. People complain about stereotypes, sexism, racism, and any other word that ends in ism. But damn... in what forum of Media is it ever really fare? White Males dominate the field so what do you really expect? Same with TV... same with Film... So I guess the question is.. why are you so mad.. All the time? If you don't enjoy the book, the author, the artist, why not read somethign else? The market place typically tends to auto correct itself.

Yes, I love comics. My biggest beef with the industry is the fact that there's so little change within DC and Marvel, the two biggest companies, while the independant companies that have all the ideas are struggling to get on the radar. It's the same beef I have with TV and movies, which is why I also don't watch the majority of those. Diamond's stranglehold on publishing. The lack of fresh talent at the HEAD of the companies and not just drawing the books. That said, most of comics I've bought are indie ones and foreign ones. Lately I feel like within the BIG 2 there has been too much of a focus on which "superstar" artist is doing which series instead of which book has the best story and a dedicated team that can write for at least 50 issues. Meanwhile creator owned/indie books have the same team writing till its completion or until the creator dies. Another thing I absolutely can't stand is how one character (BATMAN) can have 20+ books and make the over 50% of the $$$ for the company while the rest of the books the company makes are being ignored and cancelled like crazy.

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Maki_P
I like Some comics.
Saga is absolutely amazing. Journey Into Mystery, incredible fantasy book! (but Kieron Gillen is leaving!!!!! crying ). And I completely love the work Jeff Parker is doing with Red Hulk. And while I'm not one for ultra-violence and gore, I found the new Glory incredibly fascinating.
But not every book is Journey Into Mystery, we have Suicide Squad with the new skinny Amanda Waller, and Catwoman with her useless zipper. (Okay, I haven't read any of those titles, but I have problems believing a comic with such sexist representations of women are worth my time)
Journey into Mystery with Kid Loki was indeed excellent. I wonder what he shall be like in Kid, Children, Young (whatever they are) Avengers.
I like comics, but I don't like how DC & Marvel are making them as dark as humanly possible.

Dapper Genius

I love comics, but I've given up on DC pretty much. What a lot of writers in the comic book industry don't understand is that they have female fans as well.
No, I'm not asking you for a bright pink comic about a teen girl and her problems. I'm asking that the sexism stops. But you know what? It's not going to anytime soon.

What the OP doesn't get is that Sexism, Racism, etc aren't just mainstream things. They're genuine issues. Just as black, hispanic, asian, etc. people don't like being belittled for their skin tone, I don't like being belittled for my gender.

Witty Phantom

Lex Joseph Luthor
I'm sorry. Do explain why the current Lex, effete and limp-wristed as he is, is an improvement. I'm all ears.

HE WENT THERE.

PrinceJello's Husband

Dedicated Genius

Would definitely say I do 'like' comics! I'd read graphic novels here and there in high school, but was never a serious reader or buyer. Last year my big bro let me borrow what he called a "Batman Care Package": a box full of trades, comic books, and movies surrounding the Dark Knight. Fell in love with Bats all over again and just had to buy as much as my college funds would allow!

Big into DC, Marvel, Wildstorm, and IDW and my interests continue to grow in various titles. Will probably continue to do so once I *hopefully* start working at the local comic book store in the next month or so.

Also! Congrats on opening your own store, Kraythore! Best of luck to you and your staff, amigo ;D.

Dapper Genius

6,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trader 100
  • Hygienic 200
how many of you read comics that AREN'T superhero books? haven't seen this in the thread yet.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff