Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tsuki Hoshiko's Husband

Distinct Lunatic

8,900 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Bampot
I'm not a regular here and I usually lurk just to find new things to read, but I'll give my two cents.

For me comics are a very fascinating medium. The perfect combination or art and story. I find them captivating and I usually get pulled in instantly. Their only flaw is being expensive and I can only keep up with a handful of series at a time. I don't really talk about comics with other fans a lot, so I rarely see the negative sides of the fandom.

I agree with the expensive part. I know one thing that annoys me with comics is there are many heroes I want to be able to get into from the very beginning but the first issues cost hundreds.

Another thing that annoys me about comic books (not really about comic books) but mainly the super hero tv shows and movies. I do like them or watch them, but it annoys me a lot when I hear people bragging on about some stuff (like the Avengers) as if they completely know the series just cause they saw one movie and a disney tv show. I've seen a lot of people that brag on about DC and Marvel characters as if they know everything about them even though for the most part I know the only thing they've seen are the movies.

As for my with my favorite character (Green Lantern) I did a lot of investigation on Hal's characters and bought some of his issues

Kawaii Senshi

9,550 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Threadmaster 200
I haven't purchased a comic in quite a while. I suppose it depends, honestly. Comics have a wider range of... plots, I guess. If you were to watch BTAS you'd see no blood, no really gore-filled plot. It really only ranges from kidnapping the mayor to playing with Batman.

Comics, however, involve deeper things...

Anxious Pirate

14,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
Kazuki Hinamori
Bampot

I agree completly.

Comics are expensive and I think I spend about 80 a month of comics.So Trust me I know the woes and pains of expensivness.. But I am willing to pay that amount for my enjoyment.. and if I don't like the total I stop giving them my entertainment dollars. HOWEVER

I agree movies and tv shows have breeded this new type of society and it is almost sickening..

Everytime a Comicbook movie comes out my facebook status reads..

"I am such a nerd going to see the Avengers Movie.."

Like you arn't a nerd.. You are a fare weather fan.. Its disturbing.

I remember when being a nerd wasn't cool but now all of sudden Pop culture has adopted our counter culture and its Weird. ._. IDK it was going to be another discussion. But you know I guess that is good question..

Why have comicbooks and Nerd things become cool all of a sudden? Its weird to see the self proclaimed 'cool kids' wear thor shirts or Adventure Time Tees.... Its like what the hell happened.
All comic books are are words and pictures. You can do anything with words and pictures.

I love the medium dearly, but not everything in the medium.

Familiar Phantom

I love comics.

I don't like the direction the industry's taken in the last 5 years, and I'm entitled to speak my opinion on it.

Sparkly Survivor

26,525 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Drago_the_Blackrose
Kazuki Hinamori
Bampot

ninja

What's wrong with Fair Weather Fan? People can love whatever they want to love even if they don't read all the 700+ issues.
And what's wrong with calling yourself a nerd? I don't know. Personally I found that Nerd-Elitism much more disturbing than Nerdy things becoming mainstream; it pushes newcomers away.

And sorry, this is really a discussion for another place

Anxious Pirate

14,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
Maki_P

TIs a continunation of a Thread that has to deal with comic books.. soo I don't understand why it is a problem of where this question falls.. you are free not to answer the question.. But Obviously you had some opinion in it because you answered it. neutral

Anyways.. This in short is my problem with them.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I read comics simply as a way to meet interesting women.
Drago_the_Blackrose
Because most of the time when in these forums.. is that people don't seem to love comics. I just get this general sense of... bitterness towards comics and I don't understand why. People complain about stereotypes, sexism, racism, and any other word that ends in ism. But damn... in what forum of Media is it ever really fare? White Males dominate the field so what do you really expect? Same with TV... same with Film... So I guess the question is.. why are you so mad.. All the time?

Complaining about stereotypes, sexism and racism doesn't mean you don't like comics. It means you don't like stereotypes, sexism and racism, and it means you think that when comics have those things it is bad. Comics should be good. That other media has these things does not make it ok, it means that these things are all pervasive and we should do something about it.

Quote:
Like you arn't a nerd.. You are a fare weather fan.. Its disturbing.

Why is it disturbing? Why is mainstream American culture embracing nerdy things without trying to relabel them as something other than "nerdy" disturbing?
Drago_the_Blackrose
Do you like comic books themselves. The story they tell. The sense of adventure, thrill, drama, and the art. The pure beauty behind comics..

Or Do you love the character. Do you love your favorite characters. Are you a fan of the character? It doesn't matter if Batman is in Japan or Batman is eating a plate of yummy spaghetti you love BATMAN.

Or do you read comic books for something deeper? Are you looking for role models.. and you want something more that isn't there? What do you want in your Comic Book? I think thats what I am asking...

Because most of the time when in these forums.. is that people don't seem to love comics. I just get this general sense of... bitterness towards comics and I don't understand why. People complain about stereotypes, sexism, racism, and any other word that ends in ism. But damn... in what forum of Media is it ever really fare? White Males dominate the field so what do you really expect? Same with TV... same with Film... So I guess the question is.. why are you so mad.. All the time? If you don't enjoy the book, the author, the artist, why not read somethign else? The market place typically tends to auto correct itself.

There are a few people on this subforum that I feel like I am always clashing with, and I respect that you have a different opinion. However if you don't agree with other people then you are wrong... Why? Seriously?

I like the New 52 and I love the Old Universe
I think Superman and Wonderwoman is a possible good Couple.
Clark Kent is Dead GOOD.
I like Harley's new Costume
I Miss Chunky Amanda Waller
But I understand that things change... And I am willing to accept that..

I wonder some days are you the same people that got mad when Women got the right to vote.( I Joke I Joke) anyways the questions are up,. My rant is done.

It depends.......

For X-men I love Nightcrawler but I enjoy reading the comics itself, for the story.

While for Batman I do read them because of Catwoman, Harley Quinn, Nightwing and sometimes Jason Todd [Have trouble finding his comics at the comic book store]. The Character's themselves and their stories rather than the overall story.

Then we have Superman, my least favorite comic book character. If I see him on the cover I stray away and if I see a mention of him on the book I stray away. (And yet I like the idea of Superman and Wonder Woman together...)

As for role-model, I don't really look for one....I rather set out on doing things my own then modeling myself after someone. However, I do like to try to achieve the same things as people in my fields of interests.

I also don't look for the deeper things in comics or something that isn't there. Unless if it's a homework assignment, but for me that just takes the joy out of reading comics. Looking for something deeper or something that isn't there. I prefer to try to predict things and feel good about myself when my prediction turns up true.

Personally, I prefer not to see stereotypes, sexism and racism in general, but I gotta admit played with the right setting, the right time and not trying to hard to make something out of it/looks to be ignorance of the author it doesn't end up looking too bad to me.

One last thing when people believe every view/way but there's is wrong and doesn't even try it really bugs me. If OPINIONS were right or wrong then they would be FACTS. I feel like people who do things like that believe that what they say is FACT instead of an OPINION.

Anxious Pirate

14,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
Ms. Selina Kyle

Why is it disturbing? Why is mainstream American culture embracing nerdy things without trying to relabel them as something other than "nerdy" disturbing?

In my opinion. When the mainstream tries to absorb the counter culture it is always something to fear.

Just my Opinion.

Hiphop went from just street corners to being Accepted at the Grammys
we Got

Two Chainz

Youtube went Public

Now we Got commercials

So on and so on... All I am saying is that the public accepts things... Changes in the worse way. Whatever maybe I am reading to much into things.. But I didn't mean to upset or offend you. Thats cool if you think the mainstream accepting "Nerdy" things as cool. I am just saying my peace.
Drago_the_Blackrose

In my opinion. When the mainstream tries to absorb the counter culture it is always something to fear.

Just my Opinion.

Hiphop went from just street corners to being Accepted at the Grammys
we Got

Two Chainz

Youtube went Public

Now we Got commercials

So on and so on... All I am saying is that the public accepts things... Changes in the worse way. Whatever maybe I am reading to much into things..
You have offered absolutely no explanation for your thoughts except "it's just my opinion."

The public accepts things and this changes this for the worse? How? What is an example of this?

I'm assuming you think "Two Chainz" is a bad hip hop person (I have no idea who he is), but we had bad people before hip hop gained widespread public acceptance. YouTube doesn't have commercials because it "went mainstream," it has commercials because that makes ad revenue. You do realize that the people who make revenue off those commercials are the ones who originally posted the video too, right? It's not just YouTube.

Quote:
But I didn't mean to upset or offend you. Thats cool if you think the mainstream accepting "Nerdy" things as cool. I am just saying my peace.
At what point did I say any of these things?

Anxious Pirate

14,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
Ms. Selina Kyle

Did Youtube have commercials before It was sold outright? No... so before it went mainstream making revue wasn't the big deal.

There has always been bad rappers but I used that since he is the newest rapper.

Mainstream to me always equals less of specific appeal.

You are right in an opinion thread.. I have only used my opinions... I am not offering a factual argument. I am not presenting facts. I am presenting my side and what I think. I can't find any facts about what I am saying no.. but I am stating what I think..I mean I wish I could pull a fact that stated that.. Thousands of Iowans were killed because Dr. Who Ratings went up.. but I can't... It's just how I feel.. I guess I am using to much of the Emotional argument.

But There is no point of stating any of this because you have your view.. and I have mine.. They won't match up.. So why debate..?
Drago_the_Blackrose
Mainstream to me always equals less of specific appeal.
None of what you've said makes that argument.

Quote:
You are right in an opinion thread.. I have only used my opinions... I am not offering a factual argument. I am not presenting facts. I am presenting my side and what I think. I can't find any facts about what I am saying no.. but I am stating what I think..I mean I wish I could pull a fact that stated that.. Thousands of Iowans were killed because Dr. Who Ratings went up.. but I can't... It's just how I feel.. I guess I am using to much of the Emotional argument.
So you don't feel the need to have a well-reasoned opinion, any opinion will do?

Quote:
But There is no point of stating any of this because you have your view.. and I have mine.. They won't match up.. So why debate..?
Then why did you bother making a thread at all?

Anxious Pirate

14,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
Ms. Selina Kyle

In short. You're right. I don't care.
User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff