Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Phantom

13,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
So, I'm all caught up on Aquaman, (New 52), because I've been devouring them. And I noticed I had to veer off into other comics to get the full story more than once, and it was highly distracting. I don't like that the industry has made that such a normal thing, I wish something could just have it's own continuity.
When I had just finished issue #25, where at the end, they reveal the Justice League Rise of the Seven Seas, which will be coming out this year. I'm extremely intrigued by what I saw so far, and I can't wait for it to come out.
Other things I can't wait for, are Injustice, and more of Ms. Marvel. (Yeah, I'm not all DC here... I swear.)
Meanwhile I'll read some Revival soon.
Shameless plugs incoming!
How do you feel about the way that DC forces you to read tie-ins and other things, just to follow one hero's story?
I'm also told Marvel is worth with that kind of stuff. (I'm going to be jumping into the Infinity event soon, and according to the checklist, it's ridiculous)
Do the indie companies do this ever?

On another note, have you read Injustice? If not, read the spoiler!
[ ], look at it this way. Injustice was the comic that solidified my love of comics. I was just getting into comics, and yeah, sure, I was enjoying them, but Injustice HOOKED me, hardcore.
Injustice was my first on-going, non-trade, comic. But even after reading more, it's still MY FAVORITE OF ALL COMICS.
Now for the technicals.
Pros: The writing is superb! BEYOND SUPERB! It starts off intriguing, and each issue is a cliffhanger of WANT NEED FEED ME MORE MORE MORE PLEASE
And the writing CONTINUES it's high level of AMAZING
Tom Taylor is BEST Taylor
The art, while all over the place for a while there, especially in Year One, was at least GREAT, if not spectacular, in at least 99% of Year One. And in Year Two, oh MAN. OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN. JUST YES.
The art, is great.
The story!!! The STORY is phenomenal! JUST SO PHENOMENAL! Like I said with the writing part, it keeps you wanting more, issue after issue after issue, until you're in year two on the edge of your seat, waiting with held breath for the next issue to finally come out!
It's got the just right about of drama, both serious and ridiculous, comedy, sadness, and morality conflicts, to make a great comic AMAZING.
Listen. what I'm trying to say here, [ ], is you really, REALLY, should read Injustice. If not for me, if not for Tom Taylor, for YOURSELF. Your life, is missing something right now. And that, my friend, is Injustice. read it, love it, EMBRACE IT!

Hilarious Raider

11,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
First off, I'm not a fan of Aquaman so I've not been following his stuff. Second, I'm not liking any of the New 52 so I'm staying away from the whole thing. Anything pre 52 is ok.
I read the first issue of the new Ms. Marvel; all I can say is, I hope that isn't her real form (at the end). I've been pretty excited for Inhumanity and the return of Black Bolt and Maximus.

The tie-ins for DC and Marvel are in fact quite annoying, but it is part of the storyline. But it's dreadful sometimes to have to pick up a new series just to get a full grasp of what's going on, so I'm not a stickler for tie-ins; I tend to just ask friends who might've read the series I'm not familiar with.

I know indie companies don't have tie-ins very much, simply because each series has nothing to do with the other and don't come from one entire universe of heroes or villains.

Friendly Phantom

13,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
sagethewanderer
First off, I'm not a fan of Aquaman so I've not been following his stuff. Second, I'm not liking any of the New 52 so I'm staying away from the whole thing. Anything pre 52 is ok.

May I ask why you are not liking any of the New 52?

Friendly Phantom

13,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
BuiltWilt
I read the first issue of the new Ms. Marvel; all I can say is, I hope that isn't her real form (at the end). I've been pretty excited for Inhumanity and the return of Black Bolt and Maximus.

The tie-ins for DC and Marvel are in fact quite annoying, but it is part of the storyline. But it's dreadful sometimes to have to pick up a new series just to get a full grasp of what's going on, so I'm not a stickler for tie-ins; I tend to just ask friends who might've read the series I'm not familiar with.

I know indie companies don't have tie-ins very much, simply because each series has nothing to do with the other and don't come from one entire universe of heroes or villains.

(I'm still relatively new to comics)
What's inhumanity, and what are Black Bolt and Maximus? XD -Feels dumb-
VampiraFairie
BuiltWilt

I'm trying to find a very simple way to summarize the Inhumans without spoiling anything, because you probably had no idea how the new Ms. Marvel came to be. Have you read Infinity? Because this pretty much leads into the new Inhumanity tie-ins/Inhumans.

Also, Black Bolt is the Inhuman king who rules over Attilan, where highly advanced versions of humans live.

Friendly Phantom

13,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
BuiltWilt
VampiraFairie
BuiltWilt

I'm trying to find a very simple way to summarize the Inhumans without spoiling anything, because you probably had no idea how the new Ms. Marvel came to be. Have you read Infinity? Because this pretty much leads into the new Inhumanity tie-ins/Inhumans.

Also, Black Bolt is the Inhuman king who rules over Attilan, where highly advanced versions of humans live.

-Smacks face- D'oh. On FB I'm in a huge group with lots of comic fans, and when I wrote my review on Ms. Marvel Inhumans came up really briefly. XD Other than that, I have no idea. I've not read Infinity YET but it's literally on my Next To Read list, I only JUST finished Aquaman. ^^
Thank you, for not trying to spoil stuff. <3 I do appreciate it!

Hilarious Raider

11,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
VampiraFairie
sagethewanderer

Mainly because they've strolled away from what I liked about the old continuity. I suppose I'm a stickler for the old school, you might say. Now don't get me wrong. I understand why they had to make changes and all of that, but it makes me feel like they no longer care about the older fans and are just trying to get new people only into their product. I've had the pleasure of reading some of the comics from the New 52 and they aren't impressing me at all. The only one I can stand to read anymore is the Batman titles and even they are unsatisfying. That's why I just collect and read anything before the New 52.

Friendly Phantom

13,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
sagethewanderer
VampiraFairie
sagethewanderer

Mainly because they've strolled away from what I liked about the old continuity. I suppose I'm a stickler for the old school, you might say. Now don't get me wrong. I understand why they had to make changes and all of that, but it makes me feel like they no longer care about the older fans and are just trying to get new people only into their product. I've had the pleasure of reading some of the comics from the New 52 and they aren't impressing me at all. The only one I can stand to read anymore is the Batman titles and even they are unsatisfying. That's why I just collect and read anything before the New 52.

Very well, I certainly can't condemn you for your opinon.

Versatile Receiver

I've been loving Aquaman, Rise of the Seven Seas sounds like it's gonna be sweet.

Crossovers and tie ins don't really bother me but I get why others don't like them.

I've been loving Revival a whole lot, I've only read the first few issues but I want to get caught up because I really enjoy it. Injustice surprised me, I ended up liking that a lot and waiting for more of Year Two to come out sucks.

I gave Ms. Marvel a shot but I didn't care for it so I doubt I'll keep up with it.
The whole "giant crossover tie-in" thing really does suck, especially when you know it started with one writer's idea about one book that editorial decided to shove into a ton of other books. This happened with "Zero Year", the big arc going on in Scott Snyder's Batman run. You just know that was his idea for that arc specifically, and then someone decided to shove "Zero Year" into a ton of other comics just...because. It's really quite stupid.

That's why I find myself going more and more toward the other publishers, like Image and Dark Horse. The Hellboy/BPRD stuff is great, and could really teach DC and Marvel a thing or two about a multi-book shared universe. And Image has been knocking it out of the park lately with their creator-owned stuff. You don't need to pick up an issue of Saga to find out what happens next to the characters from Sex Criminals for instance. In terms of sheer quality, those books tend to be incredible as well.

Friendly Phantom

13,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100

9,775 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
that new 52 review that takes a minute was so worth Watching

While I am not a DC hater I did Read a few of the #1s
Aquaman Green lantern Batman detective comics were all great
batman and Robin is one series i need to get the trade for
Batwoman had great art and wonder woman was a fun read but not something id put in my collection
justice league was fun
And catwoman was surprising
Oh Almost forgot
Batigirl had me hooked with how shes able to walk again
Nightwing's 1st arc is very entertaining
I Hate superman But the end of action comics #1 made my day

were this a Marvel now discussion id be alot more vocal

Friendly Phantom

13,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
Ronin ninja gemini

Batwoman had great art and wonder woman was a fun read but not something id put in my collection
justice league was fun
Oh Almost forgot

Well, hey! If you subscribe to that channel, (the videos I keep plugging, haha) you might like more of his videos. smile Tomorrow he'll be doing a video with Marvel Now #1s. :3 He tries his best to try to not stick to only one company.
I've just started reading Batman, but it made me realize how high I've set teh bar for art. XD Makes me feel really bad, though.

9,775 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
VampiraFairie
Ronin ninja gemini

justice league was fun
Oh Almost forgot

Well, hey! If you subscribe to that channel, (the videos I keep plugging, haha) you might like more of his videos. smile Tomorrow he'll be doing a video with Marvel Now #1s. :3 He tries his best to try to not stick to only one company.
I've just started reading Batman, but it made me realize how high I've set teh bar for art. XD Makes me feel really bad, though.

Scott Snyder's batman has been great. I like Him and Capullo respectively but I cant keep 20-30 issues runs of a team. Right now Im trying to downgrade my collection which means keeping just my favorites

Oh cool he's doing marvel now I look forward to that. Im a marvel loyalist wholl read dc if the right people are on a title .I also dabble into Image on occassion

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff